Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: I Need some help getting an ok PA around £1200

thanks for all your inputs guys, ill be looking at them in detail in the morning, and ill be purchasing this week, the box ones appeal the most because of the size,

I guess they pack a punch then?

I'm using the JBL PRX series speakers. They've just released the 600 series which means there are some of the 500 series floating around for very close to your budget. They are active with Crown amplifiers built in, and the only real difference between the 500 and 600 series seems to be the cabinet design.

I managed to pick up a demo set of PRX-525's (twin 15" and single 1.5" 650W each continuous) from HTFR for £1200 a while back. They do matching 18" active subs if you want more punch later.

+1 on RCF for me.

I use the ART312A's (either as tops or full range), and a 705AS sub (or two) for those bigger gigs...

A pair of the tops and the single sub will be a couple of hundred over budget...but worth it if you can stretch to it...
    http://www.dynamic-entertainment.co.uk

Tel:0800 990 3030

The opinions here are those of an individual and not necessarily those of Dynamic Entertainment.

What audience size would the 312a's cope with? I am seriously contemplating a pair.

... Or would I get bass improvement by spending a bit more on the 315a's?

Quote Originally Posted by dh140770 View Post
    What audience size would the 312a's cope with? I am seriously contemplating a pair.

... Or would I get bass improvement by spending a bit more on the 315a's?
    I used the RCF312a's and my RCF 705 AS sub at a wedding for 120 in a HUGE venue on Sunday, they sounded amazing. I also have the 310a's which I rate highly.

I actually will be selling my 312s's soon as I very rarely use them as the 310a's are so good, I just need them until one of my 310a's is back from repair due to a leaking roof in my storeroom.

In answer to the OP's question: HK stuff sounds amazing, I would not hesitate to buy one of their sub/sat systems. I wouldn't rule out Mackie gear although the lower end Thump stuff is a bit underpowered for my liking. I have had very bad luck with dB Technologies gear (2 sets of faulty 410 speakers), that put me off that brand for life and I really cannot recommend them in terms of reliabilty and after sales support - I also found the sub15d subwoofer underpowered. I did want a QSC system but my budget just couldn't stretch at the time so after asking lots of advice on here and having a good listen, I opted for 2 RCF systems. The sound is quite aggresive which I like, quite similar to B & W if you were to compare it to home hifi. The top end is sweet and the bass from the 705 AS sub is monsterous.
    Atac Digital - DJ hire in Edinburgh and the Lothians
    http://atacdigital.co.uk/dj-hire/

Quote Originally Posted by Fluid DJ View Post
    HK stuff sounds amazing
    can't argue with that statement tony
    www.mobiledjcumbria.co.uk

N.A.D.J Member

North East & Cumbria branch Founder member

Quote Originally Posted by Dynamic Entertainment View Post
    A pair of the tops and the single sub will be a couple of hundred over budget...but worth it if you can stretch to it...
    The one I linked to in post 6 would fit that description perfectly.

Quote Originally Posted by deltic View Post
    can't argue with that statement tony
    I used to think that until i heard a powerhouse system and was not very impressed.
    The tops are mid rangy and actually broke after a month.
    My LD sub and RCF 310's sound much better.
    Your DJ - Mobile DJ The New Forest, Southampton & Hampshire. Toby
    https://yourdj.co.uk/

Quote Originally Posted by Fluid DJ View Post
    I used the RCF312a's and my RCF 705 AS sub at a wedding for 120 in a HUGE venue on Sunday, they sounded amazing. I also have the 310a's which I rate highly.

I actually will be selling my 312s's soon as I very rarely use them as the 310a's are so good, I just need them until one of my 310a's is back from repair due to a leaking roof in my storeroom.

In answer to the OP's question: HK stuff sounds amazing, I would not hesitate to buy one of their sub/sat systems. I wouldn't rule out Mackie gear although the lower end Thump stuff is a bit underpowered for my liking. I have had very bad luck with dB Technologies gear (2 sets of faulty 410 speakers), that put me off that brand for life and I really cannot recommend them in terms of reliabilty and after sales support - I also found the sub15d subwoofer underpowered. I did want a QSC system but my budget just couldn't stretch at the time so after asking lots of advice on here and having a good listen, I opted for 2 RCF systems. The sound is quite aggresive which I like, quite similar to B & W if you were to compare it to home hifi. The top end is sweet and the bass from the 705 AS sub is monsterous.
    Might be tempted by the 312a's ..... However

What I am really looking for is a set of speakers where I will not need a sub. The 705AS is a great sub, I have one but it is such a heavy lump and extra wiring involve that I rarely use it. I try and keep everything tob minimum setup and tear down times as I find customers and venues appreciate this and I don't like the boring repetition to be honest. I am also very linited on space in my car.
    I am drawn towards the higher end RCF (on the assumption that more expensive is better/more bass from the box. I also like the look of the new yamaha dsr115 but as far as I can see there are no bags or protection for them available yet.

I will probably keep my sub to roll out for the biggest gigs, but in all honesty I never seem to need more volume than I already have, venues like me to keep it down for the sake of neighbours/guests.

My maximum audience generally is around 120 and my budget it about the same 1000-1200

Quote Originally Posted by yourdj View Post
    The one I linked to in post 6 would fit that description perfectly.

I used to think that until i heard a powerhouse system and was not very impressed.
    The tops are mid rangy and actually broke after a month.
    My LD sub and RCF 310's sound much better.
    surely you mean powerworkswhich would be the budget hk stuff.
    www.mobiledjcumbria.co.uk

N.A.D.J Member

North East & Cumbria branch Founder member

Quote Originally Posted by dh140770 View Post
    Might be tempted by the 312a's ..... However

What I am really looking for is a set of speakers where I will not need a sub. The 705AS is a great sub, I have one but it is such a heavy lump and extra wiring involve that I rarely use it. I try and keep everything tob minimum setup and tear down times as I find customers and venues appreciate this and I don't like the boring repetition to be honest. I am also very linited on space in my car.
    I am drawn towards the higher end RCF (on the assumption that more expensive is better/more bass from the box. I also like the look of the new yamaha dsr115 but as far as I can see there are no bags or protection for them available yet.

I will probably keep my sub to roll out for the biggest gigs, but in all honesty I never seem to need more volume than I already have, venues like me to keep it down for the sake of neighbours/guests.

My maximum audience generally is around 120 and my budget it about the same 1000-1200
    Let's not forget this is someone elses thread.