Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Making Announcements On the Mic

Default Making Announcements On the Mic

Hi Guys,

I've already searched for this to see if this already a thread but i'm not having much luck! I would really be interested in hearing your views on this as it is a little daft and perhaps i just need to man up and get over it!!

Anyway, During my day job i regularly stand up in front of large crowds and do presentations, so i've got no problems in standing in front of people and talking. However (and please tell me if i'm not the only no-one here), whenever i'm doing a disco and i bring the microphone to my lips I'm aways put off by just how thick my accent is (i never hear it any other time!) and just how high pitched my voice is!

Does anybody else have this issue? and if so how do/did they get over it. Because i'm finding it so off putting that i avoid using the microphone unless i really have to!

Like i said, it is daft but it is something that does dent your confidence if you're constantly worried about it!

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts!
    Last edited by mike_fozzie; 02-06-2011 at 02:39 PM.

well you can't change your voice naturally (I suppose you could try and change your accent) - and you need to speak to the audience - so I can't see any other option than to plough on. Are you being self conscious or is it like Joe Pasquale's voice? I think if you think too much about this sort of thing it will come over to the audience - not many of us on here have voices like Simon Bates or Mike Read

i talk allot more clearly, slowly and well defined on the mic and actually allot posher than in real life.
    I always kill the mid on mine to almost nothing.

Can you change the EQ? I assume you have a good mic?

Take out the high and mid so it matches an appropriate level.
    Try a good mixer with more than just three settings.

There must be some good hardware for this too.

I have a DJ who has a raspy high pitched voice and I think it sounds awful.
    He also does not turn the volume of the music down so no one can hear him
    Last edited by yourdj; 02-06-2011 at 03:02 PM.
    Your DJ - Mobile DJ The New Forest, Southampton & Hampshire. Toby
    https://yourdj.co.uk/

I had this issue for a long time and the best thing is practice. As long as you speak clearly with some level of confidence then you will ok. I put on a "DJ voice" when on the mic rather than just speaking normally.

SM58 is a must also
    The Cheltenham Wedding DJ
    www.cheltenhamweddingdj.co.uk

DDWES Event Hire

www.ddwes.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by DeckstarDeluxe View Post
    SM58 is a must also
    Poor advice there IMO - SM58's DO NOT suit my (and many,many other DJs microphone voice) I personally use Sennheiser now.

In reference to the thread, my microphone voice is different to my normal voice. It's exacerbated, I dont know how or why. It just is

I am sure you sound fine. Especially if you are comfortable with presenting etc
    Last edited by Ecstatic Events; 02-06-2011 at 03:15 PM.

Supplying Premier DJ's for Weddings,
    Birthdays & Social Events.

www.basingstokediscos.co.uk

I had this issue for a long time and the best thing is practice. As long as you speak clearly with some level of confidence then you will ok. I put on a "DJ voice" when on the mic rather than just speaking normally.

SM58 is a must also

My 'DJ voice' is very cheesy. I used to hate the sound of my voice (still do!) but I've overcome it and just get on with it.

I put on a "DJ voice" when on the mic rather than just speaking normally.
    Ouch, why would you do that? IMO this does not help the image of the mobile DJ. Just be an enthusiastic you. Nothing worse than hearing a dj put on some kind of fake voice. Even radio dj's these days dont do it, except Tony Blackburn!!
    long live lightboxes..........lots of em!!!

Everyone takes time to get used to their own voice - and no one but you will notice anything odd about it, speak clearly and slowly and you'll soon get used to it.

And there's already been a very succesful Fozzie in show business....
    Last edited by funkymook; 02-06-2011 at 04:40 PM. Reason: remove link - it was supposed to come up as a picture!

Quote Originally Posted by Javlingames View Post
    Ouch, why would you do that? IMO this does not help the image of the mobile DJ. Just be an enthusiastic you. Nothing worse than hearing a dj put on some kind of fake voice. Even radio dj's these days dont do it, except Tony Blackburn!!
    When I said I put on a "DJ voice" I didn't mean in the stereotypical way your mentioning. If I speak normally into a mic it comes out very tinny and sounds like I'm a shy teenage boy.
    The Cheltenham Wedding DJ
    www.cheltenhamweddingdj.co.uk

DDWES Event Hire

www.ddwes.co.uk

A lot of the old irish radio djs used to put on a 'mid atlantic' accent, somewhere in the middle between dublin and new york - very cheesey. I think the point everyone is making is make conscious effort to speak slower and surer than in normal conversation and that most of us dislike our voices too. And to avoid the cheaper end of the the microphone range.