Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: VGA lead/karaoke problem

Default VGA lead/karaoke problem

I'm almost sure that I have the answer to this, but am just checking to see if anyone else can see something that I can't.

For the last few years, I've used Rextron VGA splitters for karaoke, either 2 port or 4 port depending on how many monitors are being used.

There is a male to female lead going from the VGA out on the laptop to the splitter and then male to male leads going from the splitter out to the monitors.

A few months back I had a problem and it all came down to the lead going from the laptop to splitter, so I bought another one and it worked.

A couple of my guys used the monitors for karaoke recently and said they couldn't get 2 screens to work at the same time, so I have been testing today.

With the splitter and 2 monitors, I can't get anything either, but when I take the cable from the monitor, the monitor says "no signal", so it must be getting some kind of signal.

I have changed the cables going from splitter to monitors and even changed the splitters, but nothing works. If I go directly from the laptop to monitor, it works fine, so the only thing I can think, is that the lead from laptop to splitter doesn't work.

...unless anyone else can see where else there would be a problem?

Have you tried the extend my laptop onto this monitor thing in windows control panel?

From your description, the logical answer seems to be the first lead. However, you say you have just swapped that lead, so it seems curious that it should fail so quickly.

The possibility which comes to my mind is failure of the power supply to the splitter. Is that a possibility? It tallies with the "No signal" message in my view.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    Have you tried the extend my laptop onto this monitor thing in windows control panel?
    No, it's nothing to do with the software as it works when going directly from laptop to one monitor without the splitter.

Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post

The possibility which comes to my mind is failure of the power supply to the splitter. Is that a possibility? It tallies with the "No signal" message in my view.
    No, there are 2 lights on the splitter, one for power and the other for signal. The no signal message is only displayed when you take the VGA lead out of one of the monitors, proving there is some kind of signal going to it from the splitter.

Quote Originally Posted by Solitaire Entertainments Ltd View Post
    No, there are 2 lights on the splitter, one for power and the other for signal. The no signal message is only displayed when you take the VGA lead out of one of the monitors, proving there is some kind of signal going to it from the splitter.
    One of us is confused here. My theory is that if the power was insufficient, you would be sending a signal to the monitor, but degraded because of the four way split. Not enough to give a viable display, but enough to tell the monitor that a signal was present. Thus unplugging the cable would result in the "No signal" message appearing, as you say.

This theory falls down sadly, if as you say there is a light proclaiming power to be present. Shame, cos I thought it fitted the scenario nicely.

Conversely, is the signal light lit? I'm presuming from what you say that it is, which goes against the faulty M/F cable theory.

Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
    One of us is confused here
    Yep, you.

Edit - having said that, I have got a different adapter to try for the splitter, but the power and signal lights are on at all times, so I can't see it being that.
    Last edited by Solitaire Events Ltd; 02-06-2011 at 09:48 PM.

Just a long shot, but i had a similar thing happen to me !!

Have you or your OS updated your graphics drivers recently ? as it may be directly related to your graphics card be it intergrated or dedicated ?

Thank you

Glenn
    *** Genie Discs Entertainments ***

Professional Sound & Lighting, PAT Compliant, DJ Guard PLI Insurance and PRS/MCPS ProDub License.

Quote Originally Posted by Solitaire Entertainments Ltd View Post
    Yep, you.

Edit - having said that, I have got a different adapter to try for the splitter, but the power and signal lights are on at all times, so I can't see it being that.
    And I can't see where the problem can be, if the lights are to be believed. If the light says a signal is going in, and the monitor says a satisfactory one isn't coming out, only two possibilities exist.
    1) Splitter faulty.
    2) input cable faulty, but delivering just enough signal to illuminate the light.

I'm quickly runnning out of suggestions. Other than swapping every component one by one for known units.

Are you able to setup the system on another laptop or PC ?

Thank you

Glenn
    *** Genie Discs Entertainments ***

Professional Sound & Lighting, PAT Compliant, DJ Guard PLI Insurance and PRS/MCPS ProDub License.