Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Investors

Default Investors

Looking to get started and examining various funding streams for intial set up. With 2 rugrats and another arriving in July, my betrothed is not exactly entertaining any business cases that involve plundering the savings account. I have got some stuff I can sell from my band days (however it would break my heart to sell my drums, even if they are cased up in the loft) however I wondered if anybody does or has considered seeking investment from a third party and how this might work?

I would imagine it's a complete nightmare, particulary if it goes bent but wondered if anybody had any experience of a "silent partner"?

Forgive if this has been discussed before.....I did search the threads before posting.

I'd imagine it would be very difficult to do given the nature of the business.
    Perhaps a slightly different approach would be to seek a loan from the potential investor" offering a fixed rate of interest, however you would need to find a way of securing this for it to appeal- re-mortgage etc

Why would anyone want to invest in you when you're not even prepared to sell your unused drum kit to invest in yourself?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Wild View Post
    Why would anyone want to invest in you when you're not even prepared to sell your unused drum kit to invest in yourself?
    I agree with Mark there, if your heart was really in it then the drums would be the first to go, You may in a few years time feel better about your business than your old band, so drums up on ebay now..........

Quote Originally Posted by hammy View Post
    I agree with Mark there, if your heart was really in it then the drums would be the first to go, You may in a few years time feel better about your business than your old band, so drums up on ebay now..........
    Bit harsh eh lads? What if he wants to reform the band five years down the line? Haven't you seen the Blues Brothers?
    Strike me pink, it took me thirty years to get rid of some disco gear I don't use, so I don't advocate rushing.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

I dont get that arguement- does starting your own business mean you have to sell everything of any value you own?

I dont think it works that way.

If someone is investing they're doing it because they think they will make a profit- as long as the owner of the business has a decent enough stake in the business it shouldnt be an issue.

Quote Originally Posted by wensleydale View Post
    I dont get that arguement- does starting your own business mean you have to sell everything of any value you own?
    Don't be daft I'm not saying that, although it would be an option, my argument is quite simple to grasp. May be his beloved drum kit is a bad example, but he won't even risk his own savings? Why should an investor?

It just reeks of give me money please, I'm not risking mine.

you have to be a drummer to understand the drum thing.... :O)
    Nightowl Discotheques & Karaoke, Scotland

http://www.nightowl-media.co.uk

Don't be daft I'm not saying that, although it would be an option, my argument is quite simple to grasp. May be his beloved drum kit is a bad example, but he won't even risk his own savings? Why should an investor?

It just reeks of give me money please, I'm not risking mine.
    Investing everything you own in a venture is a very risky strategy- emotion aside I would be very wary about investing in a venture with someone who puts every penny they own into a business venture- to me that doesnt show too much business accumen.
    If the drum kit is what he chooses to keep then so be it.

As long as there is sufficient investment from the business owner then whether the drum kit is kept or not is largely irrelevant to me.

Quote Originally Posted by wensleydale View Post
    Investing everything you own in a venture is a very risky strategy- emotion aside I would be very wary about investing in a venture with someone who puts every penny they own into a business venture- to me that doesnt show too much business accumen.
    If the drum kit is what he chooses to keep then so be it.

As long as there is sufficient investment from the business owner then whether the drum kit is kept or not is largely irrelevant to me.
    Who said anything about putting every penny he owns into his business venture

So in your opinion what do you think the chances of finding an investor are?