Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Using videos to promote services

Here's a slightly different question - does anyone use their own Flash video player on their website, or does everyone use Youtube or Facebook for presenting their videos?

I'm just wondering as it seems like a significant percentage of Corporates block Youtube as standard, meaning that by hosting your video's on Youtube, you're effectively making them inaccessible to potentially very profitable clients (this obviously isn't such a big deal for weddings, etc where in theory people will be using their home PC/broadband?)

Julian

Shaun, you're a star. Thanks.

Dave - I purchased the Sony Vegas a few hears ago. Decent software but very hard to use. It's collecting dust in my bedroom now.

Another good one - Cyberlink Power Director (whatever the latest one is) - won loads of awards and is very easy to use.

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Jules View Post
    Here's a slightly different question - does anyone use their own Flash video player on their website, or does everyone use Youtube or Facebook for presenting their videos?

I'm just wondering as it seems like a significant percentage of Corporates block Youtube as standard, meaning that by hosting your video's on Youtube, you're effectively making them inaccessible to potentially very profitable clients (this obviously isn't such a big deal for weddings, etc where in theory people will be using their home PC/broadband?)

Julian
    Hi Julian
    I asked a similar question the other day. I recently purchased an Ipad and noticed that any websites which use Flash, are not able to be viewed.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeW View Post
    Hi Julian
    I asked a similar question the other day. I recently purchased an Ipad and noticed that any websites which use Flash, are not able to be viewed.
    Did you get an answer? Can you link to the thread if you did?

Ta,

Julian

Hi Julian
    Although if there is a YouTube link the iPhone/iPad opens the YouTube player AFAIK ?

Julian
    Hi Julian
    Did you get an answer? Can you link to the thread if you did?
    Quote Originally Posted by DJ Paulie View Post
    Although if there is a YouTube link the iPhone/iPad opens the YouTube player AFAIK ?
    I use the JWPlayer which supports Flash and HTML5, meaning your videos will show on devices that don't support Flash or workplaces which don't allow it.

It's a bit pricey for the sinlgle commercial license (€59) plus another €9 if you want the HD plugin, but well worth it. I have a bulk license which is considerably cheaper per site, which design and hosting clients can use...but if you have multiple sites it gets cheaper the more licenses you need.

Ideally you want to put your video files on a server that supports HTTP PseudoStreaming (see the JWPlayer Support and H264 Streaming Module site) which allows automatic bitrate detection / switching (serve HD quality to high bandwidth visitors, lower quality to lower bandwidth, automatically) and seamless HD / SD switching (without it the video starts again when switching streams). But that's not essential and it works perfectly well without it.

I'm using it on Shaun's site, there's a single video demo link which he might share, otherwise wait to see it on his site

Quote Originally Posted by Marc J View Post
    I use the JWPlayer which supports Flash and HTML5, meaning your videos will show on devices that don't support Flash or workplaces which don't allow it.

It's a bit pricey for the sinlgle commercial license (€59) plus another €9 if you want the HD plugin, but well worth it. I have a bulk license which is considerably cheaper per site, which design and hosting clients can use...but if you have multiple sites it gets cheaper the more licenses you need.

Ideally you want to put your video files on a server that supports HTTP PseudoStreaming (see the JWPlayer Support and H264 Streaming Module site) which allows automatic bitrate detection / switching (serve HD quality to high bandwidth visitors, lower quality to lower bandwidth, automatically) and seamless HD / SD switching (without it the video starts again when switching streams). But that's not essential and it works perfectly well without it.

I'm using it on Shaun's site, there's a single video demo link which he might share, otherwise wait to see it on his site
    Here's the test stream using the jwplayer Marc mentioned - www.elitedj.co.uk/videotest.html . It's just on a plain white background for testing but it'll be fully integrated into my site with the rest of my clips when complete. Much neater than Youtube and the barrage of ads they place over their videos!

+1 for JWplayer

Couple of very minor behavioural issues with Firefox I've come across but perhaps that's just me

I would advise those on cheap/free/entry-level shared hosting packages to properly assess the impact of video streaming before uploading gigs of footage though

Quote Originally Posted by Vectis View Post
    I would advise those on cheap/free/entry-level shared hosting packages to properly assess the impact of video streaming before uploading gigs of footage though
    Absolutely. Video footage, especially HD quality, can be both large in filesize and very bandwidth hungry. The people behind JWPlayer have their Bits on the Run solution for video hosting which I've never used but is reasonably priced. You can also have your video stored on Amazon S3, or find a reasonably priced "unlimited disk space and bandwidth" host and put all your video content on there

I use an unlimited space and bandwidth package. I doubt a few small clips on my site will be that resourse hungry though. I'm not planning on getting thousands of clicks a month, just a few small clips on offer for prospective clients to peruse whilst looking through my website.