Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Payments after the event???

Quote Originally Posted by NKR View Post
    there is only going to be one loser if the money doesn't show up.
    Not me thats for sure. I have been a DJ for many years and have never had a non payer as i am very good at getting payment.
    The "not asking" thing is just stupid and falls on the agent to pay me now as thats the rules he set. Simple.
    Your DJ - Mobile DJ The New Forest, Southampton & Hampshire. Toby
    https://yourdj.co.uk/

Default Message - mainly addressed to Peter (Excalibur)

Quote Originally Posted by yourdj View Post
    Not me thats for sure. I have been a DJ for many years and have never had a non payer as i am very good at getting payment.
    The "not asking" thing is just stupid and falls on the agent to pay me now as thats the rules he set. Simple.

Oh well, Peter.... looks like we're talking to ourselves and not going to get the answers to our questions as Toby has just decided that we're not worth answering.

As you say, Peter, manners cost nothing, but they seem to be too expensive for Toby to afford.

To Toby: Glad you've come to your own conclusions as to the legal situation though Toby. They sound utter to me, but there you go. Good luck. I'm out.

Quote Originally Posted by Corabar Entertainment View Post
    Oh well, Peter.... looks like we're talking to ourselves and not going to get the answers to our questions as Toby has just decided that we're not worth answering.

As you say, Peter, manners cost nothing, but they seem to be too expensive for Toby to afford.

To Toby: Glad you've come to your own conclusions as to the legal situation though Toby. They sound utter to me, but there you go. Good luck. I'm out.
    All my money is in Thomanns bank account.

Sorry I am not ignoring you. The contract is downstairs and I am sleepy.
    The guy is cool and his weddings are posh ones. There is no other issue other than the one mentioned,
    and I have not heard from him in a week i am no fool though and will get this sorted one way or another.
    I would gladly do a wedding for him again but I want prior communication with the client to let him know my payment terms.
    Sod the not asking policy. No money no disco - simple.

Hello,

I was working for a small agent last week and he said he does not pressure the client for payment. "if he pays he pays".
    He basically asked me not to ask him for payment and he will sort it out after the gig.

Now this gig is in a massive stately home (which they were using) and a nice crowd.
    The client was very vaigue and not with it and the bride was completely drunk when i got there.

Gig was great - my kind of venue and crowd which was why the agent choose me.

Got to the end of the night and guess what no payment. I did as I was told and said nothing.
    The contract I have states that I get paid at the start of the event by the way.

Its been over a week and I have not been paid. i am not questioning the agents honesty as he is cool and will pay me, but I think this policy is completely stupid as the guy is blatently on his honeymoon and may have no intention of paying when he gets back.

The contract is between me and him making me liable if I wanted to prosecute! If in court they say "well did you ask for payment" I will look like a tool!
    I am sure everything will be fine and I have asked for payment asap from the agent as this is his policy and something that most definitely does not sit well with me!!

What do you think then
    I think I know the answer as everyone i have asked has said "WHAT"
    OK listen up.

My wife runs an agency and your description of the arrangement is completely unprofessional.

Your description of the Contract is strange--who pays you--the Agency or the client?

You say its between you and the customer BUT the agent pays---

No thats wrong unless they have collected in on your behalf which sometimes my wife does.

What I can tell you is this--if its a proper Agency booking the agency is liable under EU law to pay you if the customer fails to.

As to--- If they pay they pay----the words you must be joking are appropriate I think.

Sounds a two bob agency to me

All my money is in Thomanns bank account.

Sorry I am not ignoring you. The contract is downstairs and I am sleepy.
    The guy is cool and his weddings are posh ones. There is no other issue other than the one mentioned,
    and I have not heard from him in a week i am no fool though and will get this sorted one way or another.
    I would gladly do a wedding for him again but I want prior communication with the client to let him know my payment terms.
    Sod the not asking policy. No money no disco - simple.

Not quite sure why you posted in the first place then Toby.

You're not after advice as you're happy it'll be sorted, you went into the arrangement with your eyes open so it's not a tale of how you've been misled, and it's not an amusing anecdote!

What did you want peoples opinion on?

What do you think then
    Quote Originally Posted by funkymook View Post
    What did you want peoples opinion on?
    The title - which is whether people would mind getting paid after the event

I am not asking about the situation I am in as thats my problem. Apart from Alan black tie corporate events and a couple of warble gigs I have never really worked for an agent, or had to for that matter, so just asking if anyone has encountered this way of working?

Quote Originally Posted by CRAZY K ROADSHOW View Post

Its not really a proper agency, its one bloke who gets good gigs and pays allot of attention to the couple.. everything else is cool. Your right its his responsibility now.

Ahaaa! That wasn't clear in the post (or title) Toby - it looked like you were asking what people thought about your particular situation, hence the confusion.

Quote Originally Posted by funkymook View Post
    Ahaaa! That wasn't clear in the post (or title) Toby - it looked like you were asking what people thought about your particular situation, hence the confusion.
    As usual probably not

Its all been sorted today and paid in full from the agent.

As usual probably not

Excellent!

It's a good topic for discussion though, so I'll start a new thread and list a few questions about it.

Quote Originally Posted by CRAZY K ROADSHOW View Post
    OK listen up.

My wife runs an agency and your description of the arrangement is completely unprofessional.

Your description of the Contract is strange--who pays you--the Agency or the client?

You say its between you and the customer BUT the agent pays---

No thats wrong unless they have collected in on your behalf which sometimes my wife does.

What I can tell you is this--if its a proper Agency booking the agency is liable under EU law to pay you if the customer fails to.

As to--- If they pay they pay----the words you must be joking are appropriate I think.

Not just you, Alan!

My agency work comes to me via an agreement with the agent and me. I rarely have prior contact with the client (which is something than can be annoying to me if the right questions aren't asked in the first place) but he pays me direct and it's up to him to chase the client for payment. I've never heard of an agency where the agreement is between the performer and client before. Maybe I've just been lucky!

As usual probably not

I think you've been lucky there, Toby. It seems like it could so easily have gone the other way.
    Dazzy D
    Lightning Disco & Entertainment

Born to make you party!