Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: "Format Shifting" to be legalised?

its easy Funkymook - just buy the mp3 from a legal website - no Produb required
    new website domain name... http://www.dejavuroadshow.tk/

Quote Originally Posted by Corabar Steve View Post
    Or you could try (like I did before I posted) looking into the whole thing, rather than relying on an out of context quote.
    Actually the quote wasn't out of context when the BBC article was first published yesterday morning. The article has been majorly changed since I posted the link and less of a point has now been made about 'legal CD ripping'

Quote Originally Posted by Dynamic Entertainment View Post
    either pay the fee...dont format shift...or work round it legally (as I do)
    Quote Originally Posted by funkymook View Post
    A legal work around? Intriguing. Something you care to share with us?
    Quote Originally Posted by Creature View Post
    That comes under 'don't format shift' it's not a work around.

Quote Originally Posted by mattydinx View Post
    Actually the quote wasn't out of context when the BBC article was first published yesterday morning. The article has been majorly changed since I posted the link and less of a point has now been made about 'legal CD ripping'
    I beg to differ. The quote was on it's on with no relation to anything else in the whole article (or the proposal), ergo it was out of context.
    Steve Mad, bad & dangerous to know www.corabar.co.uk
    Better to study for one hour with the wise, than to drink wine with the foolish.
    The opinions of Corabar Steve are not necessarily those of Corabar Entertainment, or any of its subsidiaries

Quote Originally Posted by DJ_Wulfman View Post
    Personally can't wait to se the end of produb. IMO when you pay for a track that should be the end of it....period.
    It is unless you make a copy.

Quote Originally Posted by Creature View Post
    So you download from the legal website straight to your playout hard drive then cos if you dont you still need Produb.
    Also assuming you dont make a copy either, what happens if your hard drive crashes???
    www.bossmankaraokedisco.co.uk & www.coventry-weddingdj.co.uk
    BOSSMAN KARAOKE DISCO inc. COVENTRY WEDDING DJ

Covering Coventry, West Midlands & Warwickshire

Quote Originally Posted by funkymook View Post
    A legal work around? Intriguing. Something you care to share with us?
    Not really a secret, ive mentioned it loads of times. i download direct to my extrenal hard driveand plug that into my laptop running serato. Im running on a mixture of MP3 and cd, and slowly rebuying the most popular stuff i play on cd as MP3 with a view to only carrying cds for stuff thats not available on MP3.

I have a seperate extrenal hard drive for back up, which is downloaded directly only that has a very small selection of top tracks, so if the main harddrive or laptop dies then i have backup (aswell as CDs). I only have a bery small collection of floorfillers on that drive becuse the backup lappy isnt overly powerful or capable of processing a huge library. Yes, it means buying some tracks twice, but as long as im still on cds too, i dont mind.
    http://www.dynamic-entertainment.co.uk

Tel:0800 990 3030

The opinions here are those of an individual and not necessarily those of Dynamic Entertainment.

Quote Originally Posted by BossmanKaraokeDisco View Post
    So you download from the legal website straight to your playout hard drive then cos if you dont you still need Produb.
    Also assuming you dont make a copy either, what happens if your hard drive crashes???
    Well, this is where it gets greyer than a battleship on a foggy day, but:
    As I understand it, you're allowed to make a backup of your downloads. No question, as long as it's not used for performance.

Logic suggests that you put a new HD in your playout machine, and reinstate the tunes without penalty, or alternatively get the IT magicians to recover the original HD contents, and transfer it to a newly installed one. This is of course merely my supposition, but I feel it doesn't breach the spirit of the licence.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
    Well, this is where it gets greyer than a battleship on a foggy day, but:
    As I understand it, you're allowed to make a backup of your downloads. No question, as long as it's not used for performance.

Logic suggests that you put a new HD in your playout machine, and reinstate the tunes without penalty, or alternatively get the IT magicians to recover the original HD contents, and transfer it to a newly installed one. This is of course merely my supposition, but I feel it doesn't breach the spirit of the licence.
    Dont know about foggy day, thats a real pea-souper, IMO I think that you still need Produb for doing that, but I could be wrong and I am sure someone will point out if I am
    www.bossmankaraokedisco.co.uk & www.coventry-weddingdj.co.uk
    BOSSMAN KARAOKE DISCO inc. COVENTRY WEDDING DJ

Covering Coventry, West Midlands & Warwickshire

Quote Originally Posted by BossmanKaraokeDisco View Post
    I would presume that using your "back-up" copy to restore the original is acceptable practice (being the whole point of making back-up copies) and therefore bypasses produb legislation.

But then again, I'm not the person making up and trying to justify stupid unenforceable laws to try and fleece an extra few quid from you.
    Paradise City Disco & Entertainment

Mobile Disco & Karaoke for Dorset & the South-West.