Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Lighting, Whats the point?

Default Lighting, Whats the point?

After reading the smoke machine thread i was wondering why we even bother with lights anymore? If you cant use smoke, the beams cant be seen, therefore whats the point?

Wizzards, acrobats and flower effects are useable still because of the projection on the walls and dancefloor but moving heads and roboscan type lights, apart from a single beam, why use them?

LED pars may be the way forward or even lightscreens. They are visual enough without smoke.

Actually while im here, why do dj's use lights at all? It doesnt make people have a good time if youve got lights.

Starcloth backdrop , light screens and led pars for me i think.

Do customers care about lights? Mine dont seem to.
    long live lightboxes..........lots of em!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Javlingames View Post
    Actually while im here, why do dj's use lights at all? It doesnt make people have a good time if youve got lights.

Starcloth backdrop , light screens and led pars for me i think.

Do customers care about lights? Mine dont seem to.
    They're lights!

You're really asking what type of lighting, rather than not using any at all.

I disagree about lighting not having any contribution to peoples enjoyment. They can totally change a venue with or without the help of smoke or haze. Using the appropriate lighting for the event is the key.

Ok i mean effect lighting.

I was contemplating being the first dj to not use lights. I use 2 qaudzillas now, which are pretty pointless with out smoke.

There was a time when parcans and a strobe were the only option . I dare say Mobile Disco wouldn't be the first industry to return from whence it came - just look at the re-emergence of vinyl!
    Paradise City Disco & Entertainment

Mobile Disco & Karaoke for Dorset & the South-West.

I see where you are coming from and to a degree I can't fault what you are saying.

I did a event recently when I had put in a starlight floor and uplighting. The floor is really quite bright (shame it doesn't having a dimming facility) so I did think its was pretty pointless putting the EFX's on.

I am a big fan of wash lighting and I do like to get the led effect lights out if I can use smoke but I'm using discharge effect lights (go figure).
    The Cheltenham Wedding DJ
    www.cheltenhamweddingdj.co.uk

DDWES Event Hire

www.ddwes.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by DJ_Wulfman View Post
    There was a time when parcans and a strobe were the only option . I dare say Mobile Disco wouldn't be the first industry to return from whence it came - just look at the re-emergence of vinyl!
    I would love it if it all went full circle again. Lightboxes, vinyl etc. I love to see a dj playing real vinyl.

Quote Originally Posted by DeckstarDeluxe View Post
    I see where you are coming from and to a degree I can't fault what you are saying.

I did a event recently when I had put in a starlight floor and uplighting. The floor is really quite bright (shame it doesn't having a dimming facility) so I did think its was pretty pointless putting the EFX's on.

I am a big fan of wash lighting and I do like to get the led effect lights out if I can use smoke but I'm using discharge effect lights (go figure).
    Exactly , sometimes effect lighting ruins the classy atomsphere. I reckon a starlit floor with par washes would look quality.
    Last edited by Excalibur; 11-08-2011 at 04:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Javlingames View Post
    Exactly , sometimes effect lighting ruins the classy atomsphere. I reckon a starlit floor with par washes would look quality.
    Don't you worry it did! When I took the photos I actually had the lights on but not pointed on the floor.
    The Cheltenham Wedding DJ
    www.cheltenhamweddingdj.co.uk

DDWES Event Hire

www.ddwes.co.uk

No Disco Lights,

what would the alternative be?!?

either dancing in the dark or dancing in bright lights??? neither very good for clients. I totally see where you are coming from, but I think its all about the atmosphere which is created by all those different moving lights.
    Ralph @ Disco Magic
    www.disco-magic.co.uk
    www.toastmasterinsurrey.co.uk

"Creating Magical Memories and Exceptional Events"

Quote Originally Posted by DiscoMagic View Post
    No Disco Lights,

what would the alternative be?!?

either dancing in the dark or dancing in bright lights??? neither very good for clients. I totally see where you are coming from, but I think its all about the atmosphere which is created by all those different moving lights.
    Couldn't have put it better myself.

I regularly do discos with just a mirror ball, 4 LED pars for a bit of wash on the ceiling and dancefloor.

I do put up a couple of tri-leds that I bung on the truss, to give a bit of movement on the dancefloor, but, i cringe everytime I switch them on, I don't like them at all (i thought i would when i bought them, but i've since decided that i don't, but just put them up as the truss would look a little empty, with two moving heads and a mirror ball).