Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Temple Pier

Quote Originally Posted by Solitaire Entertainments Ltd View Post
    I'm working on a boat next week and have to load at Temple Pier. The woman at the event company says it's a 'bit' steep where you have to load, so I am wondering if anyone has ever loaded on to a boat from there?
    Ill bet its a bit steep-I hope your fee is Darren, look out for the rain forecast firstly and of course it will be pitch black when you come off the boat==so have lighting available, I dont expect there will be much, these type of places are often a bit Spartan when it comes to getting on and off.

I would treat comments like--other DJs do it all the time no problem with a large sack of salt.

They would say that.

I think you will find Health and Safety generally poor in these locations.

Good luck with it Darren anyway--

My experience of event companies is lets say a little chequered--unless of course you know and trust them.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris1984 View Post
    what are the time/date you load in /out im just just checking tides for this weekend!
    It's next Friday and I aim to be there for 4:30pm.

Darren,

I advised Gary on the forum that the boats ceilings are very low, which he confirmed when he did his river cruise. I would advise you to use the Kam Powerbar on lighting stand (probably very near it's lowest setting) as you will probably find that you will not be able to get your overhead bar fixed on your Ultimax micro stand, unless it is a very new boat with normal ceiling heights.

Also, a lot of the gangways down to the boats, even though they are coated with non-slip paint/covering, also have wooden or metal battens fixed across the floor of the gangways to stop people slipping (but not great for wheeling flightcases/deckstands down. You may find that you have to carry all your equipment down by hand, I hope I'm wrong, but that the experience that I've had.

I generally find that if you know the name of the boat operator and boat, have a look at their website, as they all show photos of the inside of the boat and shots of recent/past events, which can be of some help.
    Richard
    Phoenix Entertainments

It's next Friday and I aim to be there for 4:30pm.
    looks like youll be loading at high tide but low tide is around 2245 where it will have dropped around 4.5 meters which means a rather steep ramp im afraid!

I once did an all day disco on a Rig supply vessel for British Gas. It was high tide when I was setting up and packing away and the gang plank was like see-saw pivoted on the safety railing of the vessel. NOT fun !! Neither was the fact that every record I played was 20% fast because the power supply on the boat was 60Hz not 50Hz.

Quote Originally Posted by katman View Post
    I once did an all day disco on a Rig supply vessel for British Gas. It was high tide when I was setting up and packing away and the gang plank was like see-saw pivoted on the safety railing of the vessel. NOT fun !! Neither was the fact that every record I played was 20% fast because the power supply on the boat was 60Hz not 50Hz.
    why would having a frequency change make the music play faster?

looks like youll be loading at high tide but low tide is around 2245 where it will have dropped around 4.5 meters which means a rather steep ramp im afraid!
    The party finishes at 10pm - will that make any difference?

why would having a frequency change make the music play faster?
    Because back in the days of Garrard SP25's and BSR BDS 80's they used Synchronous motors that locked to the mains frequency. This was before all the disco consoles got turntables with DC motors and varispeed control.

The party finishes at 10pm - will that make any difference?
    You finish 45 mins before low tide, 45 mins to pack down a minimal rig will mean you are offloading at low tide.
    Steve Mad, bad & dangerous to know www.corabar.co.uk
    Better to study for one hour with the wise, than to drink wine with the foolish.
    The opinions of Corabar Steve are not necessarily those of Corabar Entertainment, or any of its subsidiaries

Quote Originally Posted by katman View Post
    Because back in the days of Garrard SP25's and BSR BDS 80's they used Synchronous motors that locked to the mains frequency. This was before all the disco consoles got turntables with DC motors and varispeed control.
    fair point - that is a while ago! :-)

on the subject of power. It interesting how everyone preaches about marquee power and generators etc.

Yet nobody has mentioned anything about the power supply on boats.....