Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Bargain mini-PC

Quote Originally Posted by DiscoPromotions View Post
    Looking at the specs for the machine I would say it is not suitable for using Virtual DJ.
    Because?

I always like people to justify their reasons rather than just saying the processor might not be fast enough.

It's a 1.3GHz Dual core CPU with 1MB Cache.

It would be fine for general office tasks or web browsing but I fear the CPU load would be too great for VDJ. I tried running VDJ on my old Laptop (1.8GHz Athlon XP-M - Granted, a single core CPU) and although it would play two tracks together it would stutter, pop, crackle and the CPU usage was upwards of 80%.

Get two tracks playing simultaneously, effects, a large music collection to trawl through - It'll take it's toll.

Quote Originally Posted by Solitaire Entertainments Ltd View Post
    Because?

I always like people to justify their reasons rather than just saying the processor might not be fast enough.
    The CPU benchmark. Whist in theory it is capable of doing speeds but in reality it is a different story. 2GB RAM, Windows XP requires ceiling of at least 1GB, and Windows 7 1.5GB to operate sufficiently. Virtual DJ requires another 1GB ceiling itself for basic operations (Play, Pause, Cue), so when you add effects or samples it is more than likely it will become sluggish or crash.

The best bit of the unit the hard drive as it is SATA, but the from the spec of the machine it would have been better to use IDE drive as SATA is just wasted.

This design spec is more closely than that of netbook, but cheaper... usual reason is Linux is free and Windows is licensed.
    Last edited by DiscoPromotions; 23-08-2011 at 08:42 AM.
    Jay Price - Disco Promotions Ltd - Making Every Event Count

Areas: West Midlands & Warwickshire

Yeah I'm not too sure this would be suitable for VDJs, but I'd think it could handle anything else based on the specs. That is, of course, if the system is set up properly (dedicated, network services disabled etc)

Can VDJ run on Linux then?

No optical drive either which is OK if you have an external one but not so cheap if you don't...
    You can install Windows on these units, obviously that would be an extra expense, but Windows XP is available for small monies these days.

Optical drive may or may not be an issue depending on how you plan to use it - I generally don't use CDs for anything anymore so it wouldn't affect me.

Quote Originally Posted by BeerFunk View Post
    Optical drive may or may not be an issue depending on how you plan to use it - I generally don't use CDs for anything anymore so it wouldn't affect me.
    I have a USB CD drive which is perfect for the rare occasion that you need to use a CD/DVD.

Pretty much everything I ever need is either downloaded or stored on one of my networked drives so like you I rarely actually put a CD in any machine. I think in the case of my laptop, 90% of the times when the CD drawer has been opened it is purely down to me accidently catching the eject button rather than actually wanting to insert a disc !

You can install Windows on these units, obviously that would be an extra expense, but Windows XP is available for small monies these days.
    And may not work.

I did it with 2 of my kids laptops and they were so incredibly slow that I had to take Windows off and install Linux again.

And may not work.

I did it with 2 of my kids laptops and they were so incredibly slow that I had to take Windows off and install Linux again.
    Windows XP? Any computer made within the last 5 or 6 years should handle XP no problem I'd have thought.

Anyway, I read the reviews on the page and it seems like it's easy enough to install Windows, some have even installed Windows 7 on it.

Windows XP? Any computer made within the last 5 or 6 years should handle XP no problem I'd have thought.
    And you'd have thought wrong!

It was something to do with the fact that they had solid state drives and they wouldn't spin fast enough with XP, making everything extremely slow.

And you'd have thought wrong!

It was something to do with the fact that they had solid state drives and they wouldn't spin fast enough with XP, making everything extremely slow.
    One SDD don't spin. Two SDD are far far far faster than a normal HDD. The Memory in those netbooks are just glorified flash drives. (wish you can easily run XP off of.) SSD are what is going to replace HDD. For the price of a SSD of decent size you could buy two netbooks.

Quote Originally Posted by Jiggles View Post
    One SDD don't spin. Two SDD are far far far faster than a normal HDD. The Memory in those netbooks are just glorified flash drives. (wish you can easily run XP off of.) SSD are what is going to replace HDD. For the price of a SSD of decent size you could buy two netbooks.
    Sorry Callum, but xp did not work with the drives. You seem to think you are the only one who has any experience in these matters and you aren't.

If you have nothing constructive to say then don't bother.

I had a very experienced person try and sort the net books and they wouldn't work properly.

You don't know what the net books were or any other details, so I'd appreciate it if you'd but out and stop trying to make me look stupid.