Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 13 of 22 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Need a Disco

Hybrid View

I was honestly beginning to believe that it would never happen...but I've gained my first gig from needadisco today! Faith restored.....
    Jonathan Ford's Travelling Discotheque http://www.jftd.co.uk/
    Thoughtful mobile disco entertainment across the Midlands

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan Ford View Post
    I was honestly beginning to believe that it would never happen...but I've gained my first gig from needadisco today! Faith restored.....
    Well done! I saw that on twitter. Anywhere nice?
    Professional DJ & Event services inc Led & Starlight dancefloors, Venue uplighting

Derbyshire Wedding DJ - Wedding Uplighting, Dancefloors and Professional Wedding DJs

Quote Originally Posted by Spirits High View Post
    Well done! I saw that on twitter. Anywhere nice?
    Cheers, Paul. Nowhere special - The Derbyshire at South Normanton, but it was the only free Saturday I'd got in June.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan Ford View Post
    Cheers, Paul. Nowhere special - The Derbyshire at South Normanton, but it was the only free Saturday I'd got in June.
    Got one there in July. Not been there before.
    Professional DJ & Event services inc Led & Starlight dancefloors, Venue uplighting

Derbyshire Wedding DJ - Wedding Uplighting, Dancefloors and Professional Wedding DJs

Great venue, played there a couple of times two years ago.

I remember it well as on the second booking the DJ who was supposed to be supplying me with a mike gave me a radio mike with a flat battery and then a corded mike with about a 12 inch cable.

Completely useless.

The most unprofessional DJ I have ever worked with.

The faithful JTS solved the problem.

He apparently has the regular Contract there---

Nor have I. I'll give you the lowdown when I've had a look around.

Quote Originally Posted by simonp View Post
    I've wasted that 5 minutes ranting here and feel better for it
    Actually there's two things to feel better about.

1) You spent 5 minutes ranting here and felt better for it.

2) The 5 minutes ranting here wasnt "wasted"

Even if you post something on a forum and get zero replies - the chances are, a few people read it, and a percentage of those readers got value from it.

This bit of the post is where I'm clearly supposed to type about 3 paragraphs of extremely lively, well thought-out, thought-provoking pep talk.. but actually dont have anything much to add about leads and conversions. ([Cue]: Family fortunes "Wrong" buzzer......and [Play]...)

I agree with Sandysounds that if you get 20 leads, then they cant all be bad leads. Although I'm not about to start suggesting that I would have personally converted 19 of those...blah blah blah.

I have to admit the lead-providing sites idea leaves me feeling only a degree or two warmer than cold calling would do (which I dont do). But, for some, lead-sites are a(nother) source of bookings, just like wedding fayres (the un-diluted ones), websites, google-optimized meta tags, and (my fav) the good ol' word' o' mouth.

Are the Lead-feeding sites asking the potential customers the wrong questions? Is area realllllllly all that important? For the right price wouldnt most of us drive a couple of hours further than our comfort zone? If our price is supposed to be a secondary consideration (which I've heard said in enough american accents to almost believe it...almost), should lead-feeder sites ask the "price" question at all? Would some potential customers feel that if they've set an upper limit of say £400, that then any attempt to sell-up, mood lighting, first dance photo montages, video, bluetooth slideshows etc will just end badly with "all for your £400 max upper limit Mr(s) DJ?...oh? extra?...more than £400??? oh :-(" - Yes...I know that it's down to how well we sell the idea...

Over half our job involves saying the right thing, even without pressing "Mic On" first.

And that last sentence is what I'm going to declare as my thought-provoking pep talk...all-be-it 2.8 paragraphs short.
    ... Soon be Christmas

Quote Originally Posted by Gary View Post
    Is area realllllllly all that important? For the right price wouldnt most of us drive a couple of hours further than our comfort zone?
    Suggest you take a look at how needadisco (the subject of the OP) deals with coverage area.

Which leads are forwarded to DJs are entirely within the member's control even if they want to play venues 800 miles away

In Need a Discos support.

I have responded to lots of enquiries. I have landed only 2 jobs from it in 18 months of trying.

Both are 1 hour drives away from base - one in Cumbria and one in Yorkshire.

Total value of those two jobs is £1,550 (no extras, no dance floors, uplighting, flying pigs, chair covers, other extras that are buy in serivces with costs attached - Just DJ and singer service with our usual kit).

By the way neither of them will have come onto need a disco looking for what we are providing.

Time well spent if you ask me.
    www.nkentertainment.co.uk
    The north wests premier wedding DJ and singer package. We will not be beaten on quality!
    www.michaelmooble.co.uk

ALWAYS have a spare battery
    Banana Power Travelling Discotheque - legendary entertainment since 1966
    www.facebook.com/BananaPowerTravellingDisco