Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 65 of 74 FirstFirst ... 15556364656667 ... LastLast

Thread: Need a Disco

Resident Antagonist Benny Smyth's Avatar

Just admit that you don't have the song. I don't download stuff on the night while I'm working. Anything I need to download will be done during the gig prep time leading up to the big day.

In nearly 15 years, I can only recall one time where somebody replied to me with "Can't you just download it?" 99.9% of people walk away disappointed but happy enough if you tell them the right way "Sorry, I've not got that one. I do have XY&Z though?"

I've found some DJs say "Yeah, I can do that, I can do this" only for them to go out and buy some kit to fulfill that promise. I've got a friend who is a voice over and was hired to voice and produce some audio, but she knows nothing about production. I ended up doing it for her and took a substantial amount from her fee for doing so.

My point being that if you haven't got something, or are not quite in a place to do something, it's ok to say that it can't be done.

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Smyth View Post
    Just admit that you don't have the song. I don't download stuff on the night while I'm working.
    Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat?

One of the greatest advances in making our life easier, making us look brilliant, and increasing customer satisfaction, and you don't take advantage of it?

Yes, I know it can be a two edged sword, when customers start playing silly persons, to make you download silly tracks for the sake of it, but at the last few discos, I have downloaded special tracks for the client, which have made their night. All it takes is a smartphone, and/or tablet even if there's no venue wifi.

Why, even our esteemed Admin, North of the Border felt moved to download a track ( Perry Como, or some such, if I remember correctly ) and despite the unforseen expense, considered it money well spent.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

Just admit that you don't have the song. I don't download stuff on the night while I'm working. Anything I need to download will be done during the gig prep time leading up to the big day.

In nearly 15 years, I can only recall one time where somebody replied to me with "Can't you just download it?" 99.9% of people walk away disappointed but happy enough if you tell them the right way "Sorry, I've not got that one. I do have XY&Z though?"

Wish I had your party goers, mine always seem to pull out their phone and say can you play it off this.

After a few years if someone asks for a song on the night that you haven't heard of then it's going to be A. Terrible & B. Something nobody knows.
    The Cheltenham Wedding DJ
    www.cheltenhamweddingdj.co.uk

DDWES Event Hire

www.ddwes.co.uk

I've found some DJs say "Yeah, I can do that, I can do this" only for them to go out and buy some kit to fulfill that promise. I've got a friend who is a voice over and was hired to voice and produce some audio, but she knows nothing about production. I ended up doing it for her and took a substantial amount from her fee for doing so.

My point being that if you haven't got something, or are not quite in a place to do something, it's ok to say that it can't be done.
    I do that, but when I roll up to the hotel who've not been returning my emails & phonecalls then find I don't have the first dance song... er... Hmmm. I've had many a 'word' with the manager of that place & he still isn't playing ball. It's just a disco, right? It doesn't matter or anything. He's gonna get the fright of his life if I ever take over that residency. Shape up, or I'm offski.

The other week when the bride's dance troupe didn't bring the song edit along, I *offered* to *try* to save their situation, and did. Had they supplied me with the track information as I'd asked them for before the event it would've been easier all round. If the track hadn't been obtainable, then no skin off my nose - it was the dance leader's fault after all. Nah, and I DID save their bacon. Had it been a private booking there'd have surely been a good tip for pulling that off but i'd have been happy with a nice glowing testimonial.

But not having a B&Gs first dance song, because the venue couldn't be bothered to tell me? That only makes ME look bad & I like to avoid it. Yes in an ideal world I'd know all about the event ages in advance. This ain't my ideal world & I make the best of it I can.

There've been other times I've bought tracks on the night, but they always go through my 'is it really worth it' filter before I give them the 'sorry, I don't have that one, what about...' routine.

For the phone plugger-inners.. they always go away with a flea in their ear. "Did you buy that track?", I'll ask. The answer so far has never been 'yes'. I *do* carry a line input cable with me, but it's not for them & they don't know that.

BTW I know of at least one other DJ who's worked for my boss in the past who play music directly from Youtube :O Talk about shoddy, but hey... instant music access!
    Last edited by Nakatomi; 01-05-2015 at 01:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
    Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat?

One of the greatest advances in making our life easier, making us look brilliant, and increasing customer satisfaction, and you don't take advantage of it?

Yes, I know it can be a two edged sword, when customers start playing silly persons, to make you download silly tracks for the sake of it, but at the last few discos, I have downloaded special tracks for the client, which have made their night. All it takes is a smartphone, and/or tablet even if there's no venue wifi.

Why, even our esteemed Admin, North of the Border felt moved to download a track ( Perry Como, or some such, if I remember correctly ) and despite the unforseen expense, considered it money well spent.
    If there are any songs that are so special that it would make their night, I would have surely heard about it beforehand. Consultations and an unrestricted lines of communication leading up to the event gives the client's plenty of time to ponder and let us know. Your favourite song in the world isn't something that you don't remember until 10:30 at night after a few shandy's.

Preparation and planning (if that is possible - I know that it's not always an option) circumvents the need to download on the night. Add to that the collections we have built up over the years we've been doing this, chances are we have almost everything we need.

Nobody's evening is going to be ruined because of a song request on the evening that wasn't fulfilled because you don't have the track and if it is, that person would probably not be described as well adjusted.

the collections we have built up over the years we've been doing this, chances are we have almost everything we need.

Nobody's evening is going to be ruined because of a song request on the evening that wasn't fulfilled because you don't have the track and if it is, that person would probably not be described as well adjusted.
    I beg to differ, I have had a couple of weddings where despite my best efforts a certain track has not been available, It can lead to a bad atmosphere between you and the Bridal party. I always carry my phone to get a track if required!

I had the bride approach me once saying she forgot to ask before, but did I have a specific old song I could play for her grandparents. I didn't have it, but a few minutes later and I'd purchased in on iTunes. A few minutes later I played it. It was the one and only time the Brides elderly grandparents danced the whole evening, and they were joined on the dance-floor by the rest of the family for 'their song' - it was quite touching, and was one of the evening highlights.

The night wouldn't have been ruined by not having the song, but it would have been a missed opportunity for what turned out to be one of the key spotlight moments for the Bride, Grandparents and extended family that evening.

whilst it's not a must that we can purchase songs on the fly, in this day in age I personally find it's an added bonus in certain situations.

Well the jobs are coming in thick and fast - a lot more than I see from AMP DJ
    Andy P
    Disco Couture

www.discocouture.co.uk
    www.facebook.com/discocouture

Benny, you've got two Tykes and a Scot agreeing that spending 99p of the profits is a good idea. A convincing argument I'd say.

And don't forget, it can be offset against tax, too.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
    Benny, you've got two Tykes and a Scot agreeing that spending 99p of the profits is a good idea. A convincing argument I'd say.

And don't forget, it can be offset against tax, too.
    It has absolutely nothing to do with the money. I'll concede to Shaun's example and say that something like that at the start of the night is fine. But if I'm in the swing of the evening, I'm not going to pull my focus away from what I'm doing to download a song.