Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 66 of 74 FirstFirst ... 16566465666768 ... LastLast

Thread: Need a Disco

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Smyth View Post
    It has absolutely nothing to do with the money. I'll concede to Shaun's example and say that something like that at the start of the night is fine. But if I'm in the swing of the evening, I'm not going to pull my focus away from what I'm doing to download a song.
    Our job has continually changed over the years and this is just another expectation. We should all be adjusting to changing needs I think.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaun View Post

whilst it's not a must that we can purchase songs on the fly, in this day in age I personally find it's an added bonus in certain situations.
    But if I'm in the swing of the evening, I'm not going to pull my focus away from what I'm doing to download a song.
    Benny, on this occasion, I have to side with Shaun. There is a big temptation to now post whimsical and humorous comments about your attitude, but since I think I know where you're coming from, I won't. I suspect that we have fundamentally different approaches to the job, and that's the nature of things, rightly so.

Quote Originally Posted by Attack the Dance Floor View Post
    Well the jobs are coming in thick and fast - a lot more than I see from AMP DJ
    May I inject a note of caution, and a gentle reprimand from the Pedants Society. I suspect that what are coming in thick and fast are Enquiries. When I first signed up, it seemed as if I'd fill my diary in a week! Converting them is a little trickier, sadly, although once you've got good feedback, it becomes a little easier.

Good luck, keep us posted.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

It has absolutely nothing to do with the money. I'll concede to Shaun's example and say that something like that at the start of the night is fine. But if I'm in the swing of the evening, I'm not going to pull my focus away from what I'm doing to download a song.
    Generally after I press play, I have about 3 minutes of free time to download anything required :-)
    Semi-Retired Multi Award Winning DJ

www.ultimateweddingdj.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by ppentertainments View Post
    Generally after I press play, I have about 3 minutes of free time to download anything required :-)
    Three minutes? Three minutes? The 12" extended remix offers much more leeway. Or Bat out of Hell, Macarthur Park, Blue Monday, and that type of thing.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
    Three minutes? Three minutes? The 12" extended remix offers much more leeway. Or Bat out of Hell, Macarthur Park, Blue Monday, and that type of thing.
    Correct - but it takes me a couple of minutes to decide, and load up the next track lol
    Semi-Retired Multi Award Winning DJ

www.ultimateweddingdj.co.uk

But if I'm in the swing of the evening, I'm not going to pull my focus away from what I'm doing to download a song.
    I do download tracks on the night if I think they will benefit the evening however in my experience it can take quite some time.
    It normally takes 5 - 15 mins trying to get one track because it's explicit / internet connection isn't good / the bluetooth won't connect straight away from phone to laptop.
    All the time I'm downloading I know that I'm disconnected from much else and I struggle a little to concentrate on track selection.

So I can see where Benny is coming from (especially when they're asking for something like A$AP Rocky's new track) ... however sometimes it really makes the night.

Dorset DJ - Dorset based DJ service
    11:11 EVENTS LTD - 11:11 EVENTS LTD

I also download on the night if I need to and I needed to the other week and it was a relief.
    Technology has moved on leaps and bounds since the 'old' days (for want of a better word) and we should embrace it (as most do I'm sure).
    Every week I update my system with the latest tracks I need and anything that I haven't got that may have been requested during a meeting with the customer before their booking.

About 4 weeks ago I was unable to update my system for one reason or another. In a customer meeting the Bride (who was South African) specifically requested a Paul Simon track saying it was for her parents. I didn't have the track originally but got hold of it via Amazon MP3 (as I do with the majority of my music).
    Anyway, it's 8.30pm and the reception is going well and the Bride comes over and says she's having a great time and also reminds me of the Paul Simon track. "No problem at all" I said "I'll get that on shortly for you".

I go to my system and search and it's not there! I then remember that I haven't updated my system. Now, I know the venue has free wi-fi so I get on to the Amazon MP3 site and check my library on there where it has been downloaded, grab hold of it and cue it up. I played it around 10 minutes later as I changed style and the reaction was great. I would have hated not having it and the instant panic I had when I realised I hadn't added it to my system wasn't nice. I know it's just one song but it was specifically requested and to me, that could have been seen as a negative after the event. They could have had a really good night but might have remembered that something they requested wasn't played even though I was given plenty of notice.

Resident Antagonist Benny Smyth's Avatar

Fantastic enquiry today via NaD:

21st Birthday Party, with a budget of £1,000. And what do they want for their money? DJ, Bars, Catering, Baloons, Fireworks, Marquee Hire and Photography.

21st Birthday Party, with a budget of £1,000. And what do they want for their money? DJ, Bars, Catering, Baloons, Fireworks, Marquee Hire and Photography.
    Did you speak to them and confirm that was their budget for everything?

I wouldn't know how much that'd all cost normally but for a bit of fun I'm gonna guess (excluding your fee) assuming there is 70 people:

Did you reply "double it and we've got a deal!" ?

Dorset DJ - Dorset based DJ service
    11:11 EVENTS LTD - 11:11 EVENTS LTD