Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Can speaker magnets damage equipment?

Quote Originally Posted by Ajaysdisco View Post
    This is a bit of an odd thread and you will probably think I am nuts but is there any equipment other than hard drives that should be kept away from speakers.
    I know it’s not a good idea to store a laptop near a speaker as the hard drive could get corrupted and CRT screens don’t like magnets.
    As I don’t have a huge amount of space things have to be stacked closely together and the last thing I want is a digital player or a controller dieing.
    Sorry if this is a stupid question!
    Obviously as you are aware speaker magnets from
    Subwoofers and the like can cause damage to monitors and also been known to damage LCD stuff. Most modern electronic equipment is ok to a moderate magnetic field.

For example I have a playstation, xbox sitting next to a large home cinema sub next to my TV and there all fine. To get damage you would need one huge powerful and alternating magnet.

Quote Originally Posted by supersound View Post
    A magnet ruiend my hard drive,It was a full pint of magnet too so I was doubley upsett

Quote Originally Posted by Digital Jack View Post
    I concur , just keep your 8 track tapes and your cassettes away from your speakers and you'll be fine..
    Well I don’t have any 8-track tapes so that helps.
    Thanks your all the info, I think LCD can also be affect by cold temperatures?
    Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing.
    It was here first.

Quote Originally Posted by Ajaysdisco View Post

Well I don’t have any 8-track tapes so that helps.
    Thanks your all the info, I think LCD can also be affect by cold temperatures?
    Don't think so..................................my GoPro HD has been buried inthe snow quite a few times and still works fine
    ...the chemistry of music
    ''''