Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: If you could only take 2 active speakers ....

I have a pair of RCF 725's and never had to drive them hard. If more than 100 people I will use Tannoy 15" or 18" subs though for the extra real low frequencies.

Whatever the badge on the front, or the material the cabs were constructed from, if I were constrained to only using two cabs, they would have 15" drivers.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

15" RCF 525s,750w per side and good SPL.V nice deep bass and sharp top end too.

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
    Whatever the badge on the front, or the material the cabs were constructed from, if I were constrained to only using two cabs, they would have 15" drivers.
    My heart tells me that too, but looking at some the RCF range, the bass response on the 12's either matches or in some case beats the 15's. I guess they have sacrificed range for power handling ....

I'm leaning towards either the RCF ART422A, RCF ART722A or QSC K12 i think. Those RCF boxes are pretty small though which is a great plus point.

I use Behringer B212D actives, never had them up over 2/3 vol. 550w each & only 9kg. I've used them in GAA sports hall, big hotel room & in a kitchen !

QSC K12 for me. I will be buying these in the next couple of weeks. Liking the reduced weight against the Mackie's and hopefully as good as, if not slightly better sound quality.

Quote Originally Posted by dh140770 View Post
    My heart tells me that too, but looking at some the RCF range, the bass response on the 12's either matches or in some case beats the 15's. I guess they have sacrificed range for power handling ....

I'm leaning towards either the RCF ART422A, RCF ART722A or QSC K12 i think. Those RCF boxes are pretty small though which is a great plus point.
    I use the 722a's and you might be disappointed with them as stand alones - they are very loud but perhaps lack a bit at the bottom end. A 12" speaker will always struggle to produce low frequencies at any decent SPL. They are very pronounced at higher frequencies - especially the 2" voice coil and really are better for vocal use. They perform best when matched with a sub / crossover and that's exactly what you don't want! I'd go have a good listen to some before buying.

The 15 inch versions are better but again, at volume, the balance of the bottom end seems to creep upwards towards mid frequencies. Hard to describe, but this gives a hollow sounding bass - not helped by plastic cabs..

Quote Originally Posted by dh140770 View Post
    I'm really liking the ART422a's if budget allows then go for the 722A's (maybe the 15 inch new 7 series would be better for you? budget dependant anyway.)

I don't think any top is going to give you the thump you're after really in that price range and weight.
    I tend to use one bin at most of my gigs now (depending on access sometimes) I'm just a lot happier working when there's is something kicking out sub 60hz frequencies

Quote Originally Posted by SJS Discos View Post
    I've used them in a room with 350 people at a Uni ball back in March and i've also used them at private house parties.

I think they are brilliant and sound great!
    I'm sorry but 2 x 312's for 350 people especially for a younger crowd is ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Wild View Post

I'm sorry but 2 x 312's for 350 people especially for a younger crowd is ridiculous.
    I've got to agree. I have the 325a's which are the 15" and I played a venue with 350 people last Christmas with 2 x RCF705as subs and still struggled a little!

Quote Originally Posted by Solitaire Entertainments Ltd View Post
    I've got to agree. I have the 325a's which are the 15" and I played a venue with 350 people last Christmas with 2 x RCF705as subs and still struggled a little!
    You both beat me to it. Ridiculous comment about a pair of 312a being suitable for 350 guests. I prefer extra reinforcement in the form of a sub or two for anything upwards of 150 guests. They are 12" cones? Once you have a busy dancefloor, the sound is quickly absorbed.

I played a gig for 90 guests in a marquee last night (with a packed dancefloor, ALL NIGHT) and I just about got away with using a pair

Supplying Premier DJ's for Weddings,
    Birthdays & Social Events.

www.basingstokediscos.co.uk