Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast

Thread: A DJ's Guide to DMX Lighting

The cable is called DMX, the connectors are known as XLRs.
    Fair play.

Quote Originally Posted by Cowlin93 View Post
    Wrong, 3 or 5 pin DMX Not XLR
    As Dan said, DMX is connected using a cable suitable for the protocol, and is generally labelled as DMX cable, on each end you have a 3 or 5 pin XLR.

As you seem to be so hot on it, you'll know that there is no such thing as 3 or 5 pin DMX, and that there is no difference in the two types or cable/connector other than the number of pins in the XLRs, won't you.

Quote Originally Posted by Danno13 View Post
    The cable is called DMX, the connectors are known as XLRs.
    And a special thanks to Dan for talking sense
    - Will Perkins
    Virtual Sights - Professional DJ and Technical Services
    www.virtualsights.co.uk - 0800 8600 195
    Covering the entire south east and further.

thicko questions here.

1. Do all dmx controllers do what they say, ie any dmx controller will control any dmx light?.

2. If i set up my dmx controller for say 4 led par 56's, would these settings be saved the next time i use the controller, or do i have to reset the address/ channel settings each time i use them?.

3. I have 4 led par 56's a couple of cheap maplin scanners, and an impossibled that are dmx lights, would a 54 channel dmx controller control these?.

Thanks in advance, and apologies for my ignorance
    always remember, you're unique, just like everyone else......

Default Stairville

Quote Originally Posted by DMX Will View Post
    I also highly recommend the Stairville DMX Master (a cheaper re-brand of the Chauvet DMX-55 I have previously recommended to DJs), as it has everything your going to need, and I swear by it for the smaller discos we do -
    http://www.thomann.de/gb/stairville_dmxmaster_i.htm
    Thanks for this recommend. I am one now happy Stairville user.
    Lee

Quote Originally Posted by mike8863 View Post
    1. In a word, yes. If a controller is able to output DMX512 and the unit able to receive, a connection can be made.

While there are other proprietary comms and system protocol - Martin, AMX, Pathport, ETCNet etc - these are derived from the simple idea of a universal standardized method of communication between a control source and a device. DMX512 is the bedrock, and serves as the primary means of control.

2. As long as the arrangement remains fairly static once you've saved a few shows, what information you recall when you return to the desk should be exactly how you left it.

However, you begin adding more or physically readdressing fixtures at this point - with a memory full of looks and chases - and you may find that you are unable cloan channel specific information and have it play back correctly after a rejig. As is the limitation with such boards, and may be the reason to consider a software platform like Daslight or Freestyler where this is easier to manage.

3. 54 channels sounds like enough; one would have to know how the board maps this out as, though...

The Freekie I own allocates 12 channels 'per fixture' irrespective of how many the fixture in question actually occupies. I think this is fairly commonplace. You quickly learn to be 'creative' with your resources!

All I will say to anyone thinking of giving DMX a go, but can't make head or tails of it when reading about it..... TRY IT!

Steve and I both got to grips with it pretty quickly (although only after purchasing a new controller after getting a duff second hand one. We thought it was us being thick with DMX, but it was actually the controller )

Having said that, I don't think we will be devoting loads of time writing programs for various lights and using it as a matter of course, as I can think of plenty of other things to do with out time. However, for those situations where you want to achieve something specific, it is perfect. (What prompted us was a B&G who wanted nothing but white lighting for their disco)

Quote Originally Posted by Corabar Entertainment View Post
    All I will say to anyone thinking of giving DMX a go, but can't make head or tails of it when reading about it..... TRY IT!

Steve and I both got to grips with it pretty quickly (although only after purchasing a new controller after getting a duff second hand one. We thought it was us being thick with DMX, but it was actually the controller )

Having said that, I don't think we will be devoting loads of time writing programs for various lights and using it as a matter of course, as I can think of plenty of other things to do with out time. However, for those situations where you want to achieve something specific, it is perfect. (What prompted us was a B&G who wanted nothing but white lighting for their disco)
    YEAH YEAH YEAH
    Dave

On the subject, I would like to thank Clive from CRS, for his advice & the sale of an identical working unit. (How we know it was a fault with the first one & not us)
    Steve Mad, bad & dangerous to know www.corabar.co.uk
    Better to study for one hour with the wise, than to drink wine with the foolish.
    The opinions of Corabar Steve are not necessarily those of Corabar Entertainment, or any of its subsidiaries

Quote Originally Posted by Booche View Post
    YEAH YEAH YEAH
    BOG OFF!

(and just for the record, new controller is exactly the same make and model as the second hand one. Difference being the new one actually activates the lights EVERY TIME, the faders respond EVERY TIME, it remembers the programs and plays them back when asked, and it doesn't turn 'programming' off by itself half way through the programming of a sequence!!! You can understand why we thought it was us doing something wrong! However, as soon as we got the new one - it did exactly what we wanted/expected )

Saying that mine goes off on one sometimes once i've programmed a few things in it randomly alters and does its own thing

Cheers Dave
    Dave