Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.

Thread: Strange request

Default Strange request

Not posted for ages but felt this may be worth seeing what you guys thought...

Every Friday for four weeks, I am hosting dinner dances for the same company at a very nice hotel. I introduce their speaker and the band, play a game and also DJ for 40mins as well as providing background music.

Whilst a 40min set sounds easy, I actually found it harder than putting together a 4hr set. I tried to include all killer and no filler (as they say). The final track I played before handing back over to the band was 'Tell Me Ma'. The dance floor was full and people were doing the normal spinning each other round that always occurs when this track is on. I was happy that I had managed to keep the dance floor full whilst the band had their break - as I'm sure some of you know, this can be a challenge.

At the end I spoke to the organiser who was very happy with the event but said she was concerned about that song as people were a 'little boisterous'. I thought she attempting humor. However, I have just received my script and running order for this weeks event and it has now been stated that the same song or any other which gets guests to whirl each other should not be played.

Has the world gone mad? I of course will oblige, the customer is always right and I want everyone, including the organisers, to leave happy. Yet somehow I find it hard to bite my tongue!

Just wondered what you lot thought?

I understand where you are coming from, but she obviously feels differently. She may be concerned about potential injuries or she might just feel the event needs more class (sorry I don't mean to sound like a snob).

I don't think there is much worse than thinking you've "nailed it" to then have someone suggest it should have been done differently.

I'd try something slightly less high-octain and if she comes back again with a negative reaction try and find out what she thinks is suitable without being confrontational. If you see her before your set perhaps you could explain your dilemma and ask for her help.

Good luck
    Last edited by Paul The Party Dj; 14-09-2011 at 03:20 PM. Reason: punctuation
    Counting my blessings

Unique, Elegant and Fun Wedding Disco Entertainment
    http://www.thepartydj.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Paul The Party Dj View Post
    I understand where you are coming from, but she obviously feels differently. She may be concerned about potential injuries or she might just feel the event needs more class (sorry I don't mean to sound like a snob).

I don't think there is much worse than thinking you've "nailed it" to then have someone suggest it should have been done differently.

I'd try something slightly less high-octain and if she comes back again with a negative reaction try and find out what she thinks is suitable without being confrontational. If you see her before your set perhaps you explain your dilemma and ask for her help.

Good luck
    Thanks for your reply.

She did say she was happy with the music, it was just the one song. So I'm sure there wont be a problem this week. They are so nice to work with, I just wasn't expecting the comment!

If you're sticking with an Irish theme. Try The Wild Rover. At least they can all sing along to that. Without getting too boisterous

www.accessallareasdisco.co.uk

Proud members of the NADJ

Quote Originally Posted by STEVE HANLEY View Post
    If you're sticking with an Irish theme. Try The Wild Rover. At least they can all sing along to that. Without getting too boisterous
    I didn't see anything about an Irish theme. I think she probably just didn't like the reaction the song got and that it wasn't purveying the right image.

Roll with the punches and as above try a sing-a-long. Sweet Caroline perhaps ?

Well , what do you expect ?

I mean - come on !

Playing 'Tell Me Ma' as your last song isn't at all appropriate in an old peoples home is it ....
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] www.sounds2go.co.uk
    Pen behind the ear ...

Quote Originally Posted by dh140770 View Post
    [I didn't see anything about an Irish theme. ]
    I stand corrected I thought Tell Me Ma was an Irish song

www.accessallareasdisco.co.uk

Proud members of the NADJ

Quote Originally Posted by STEVE HANLEY View Post
    I stand corrected I thought Tell Me Ma was an Irish song
    Yes i know that but one song is hardly a theme