Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Strange hard Drive problem--help!!!

Default Strange hard Drive problem--help!!!

Been using 2x 320gb Seagate hard Drives for at least 5 years no probllem with my Cortex HDC 1000.

Have tried to update with about 15 new tracks for tonight in the usual fashion by adding them to the hard drives, deleting the Cortex db file and then connecting to Cortex to create new data base.

First HD no problem, second HD froze after a while whilst creating the database for Cortex.

Have deleted everything from HD and transferred the data from the good HD to it, then tried to create data base again on Cortex---same problem.

Then formatted FULLY the HD overnight so it was completely clean, then loaded a small amount of music from another PC which holds my I tunes collection.

The Cortex was happy with that.

Then transferred the whole of the collection on to the HD from my PC with the I Tunes music collection.

More problems, on trying to create data base got the message--ERROR CREATING DB PLSE MAKE SURE DEVICE IS OK AND CHECK SPACE.

There is loads of spare space.

Could it be something in the latest music I have added to the HD????

And why has the first HD accepted it ok--thank goodness!!!!!!!!!!!

I think I can identify all those tracks and posibly could remove them and see what happens.

Any suggestions welcomed--I am taking one good HD tonight and 3 Ipods as back up which makes me feel a little uneasy

Annoyingly I cant use the Ipods as hard drives which was my plan--- as according to Cortex the latest I tunes/Ipod software is incompatible, I believe Numark d2 can do this though.

Thanks in advance, am currently running the rogue HD for errors and recovery of bad sectors---whatever that means

5 years is a fair time for a hard drive - personally If it was critical data I would replace it - very cheap and one issue out of the equation.

bad sectors would've been my guess if its only affecting one hard drive, they do deteriorate over time.

As above, 5 years is quite a long time for a portable drive - You can get a 320GB external HDD for £25 nowadays, I'd take that option.

Download a program called Crystal Disk Info for windows (don't know any mac equivalent unfortunately) which will tell you the detailed health of your hard drive (providing the drive supports it - most will)

Quote Originally Posted by mattydinx View Post
    bad sectors would've been my guess if its only affecting one hard drive, they do deteriorate over time.

As above, 5 years is quite a long time for a portable drive - You can get a 320GB external HDD for £25 nowadays, I'd take that option.

Download a program called Crystal Disk Info for windows (don't know any mac equivalent unfortunately) which will tell you the detailed health of your hard drive (providing the drive supports it - most will)
    Thanks for that useful info--where do I get that 320gb drive for £25 please?

thanks in advance

probably nearer £35-40 on average

Quote Originally Posted by CRAZY K ROADSHOW View Post
    Thanks for that useful info--where do I get that 320gb drive for £25 please?

thanks in advance
    I had an email come through the othe other day and I'm sure it was for a Samsung ecternal HD for that price.

http://www.ebuyer.com/search?sort=pr...imit=10&page=1
    Last edited by discomobiledj; 19-09-2011 at 06:51 AM.
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by CRAZY K ROADSHOW View Post
    Been using 2x 320gb Seagate hard Drives for at least 5 years no probllem with my Cortex HDC 1000.

Have tried to update with about 15 new tracks for tonight in the usual fashion by adding them to the hard drives, deleting the Cortex db file and then connecting to Cortex to create new data base.

First HD no problem, second HD froze after a while whilst creating the database for Cortex.

Have deleted everything from HD and transferred the data from the good HD to it, then tried to create data base again on Cortex---same problem.

Then formatted FULLY the HD overnight so it was completely clean, then loaded a small amount of music from another PC which holds my I tunes collection.

The Cortex was happy with that.

Then transferred the whole of the collection on to the HD from my PC with the I Tunes music collection.

More problems, on trying to create data base got the message--ERROR CREATING DB PLSE MAKE SURE DEVICE IS OK AND CHECK SPACE.

There is loads of spare space.

Could it be something in the latest music I have added to the HD????

And why has the first HD accepted it ok--thank goodness!!!!!!!!!!!

I think I can identify all those tracks and posibly could remove them and see what happens.

Any suggestions welcomed--I am taking one good HD tonight and 3 Ipods as back up which makes me feel a little uneasy

Annoyingly I cant use the Ipods as hard drives which was my plan--- as according to Cortex the latest I tunes/Ipod software is incompatible, I believe Numark d2 can do this though.

Thanks in advance, am currently running the rogue HD for errors and recovery of bad sectors---whatever that means
    Update guys, have managed to produce a stand alone back up Hard Drive now.

However im trying to establish if I can keep the suspect one because its a handy size, fits in the case nicely etc

Sooooo-does anyone know anything about this error ----

Ox8007045D I/O device error

change.log.1
    Type 1 file
    size 47.5kb
    Date Modified ----21/12/2006 22.05

Google search is not very helpful.

I intended to delete the file mentioned above but cannot do so as there appears to be a complicated procedure.

The error message appeared as I was trying to transfer full data on to the suspect HD and this message completely stopped the transfer.

Sooo is it dogy corrupted data or the HD?

For the anoraks amongst us--I created the database for the new stand alone HD on the Cortex Manager on my PC fine--my original HD which has been no trouble I created the database on the machine--I notice that the machine created database recognises artist tags like LMFAO whereas the one created on the Cortex Manager did not.

Digital eh

Steve

+1 on the "shadow copy" causing the error

Quote Originally Posted by hammy View Post
    +1 on the "shadow copy" causing the error
    Great---errr exactly what does that mean though--- as I am a Barn Dance Caller/DJ not a Computer person.

What is the effect of this and what can I do to get rid of the problem.

Any advice welcomed.