Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: what amp should i buy?

Please give model numbers of both Ibiza amps, and speakers. Before you give them, I 'd guess that the best advice I can give is to use it as backup, and replace the whole lot with something better.

When we know what you've got at the moment, we can recommend a suitable upgrade.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

Sorry your right I should have, I've just checked it's not a Ibiza amp it's a skytec amp spl 1000 watt and skytec 800watt speakers. No model no. Given to speakers.

Quote Originally Posted by Spirits High View Post
    Hi Tony,

Not really my department as I'm an active user but I'm sure some advice will be along soon.

In the meantime pop over to the Newbies forum and say "hello"
    Quote Originally Posted by Corabar Entertainment View Post
    Please pop on over to the Newbies forum and introduce yourself to the rest of the forum and tell us a bit about yourself and what you do.

Apart from being polite, you might find that the advice you are given is more tailored to your requirements if the members know where you are coming from, and what sort of work you do.

Thanks, and I look forward to reading your introduction.
    Are we talking to ourselves here?

HOW RUDE!

Hi Guys
    Which amp do you think would suit my skytec 800watts 8 ohms speakers a inuke nu3000, Peavy pv2600 or the Crown XLS802D.

Look forward to hearing from you.

Tony
    PS i have introduced myself in the newbies forum.

The amp you have is a hi-fi amp and I suspect the speakers are hi-fi ones to match. The 800w rating of the speakers is probably the peak rating (probable RMS rating of them which you need to go by would be 200w or less) and if you connect them to any of the amps you have listed, they are likely to blow them very quickly.

You need to be looking at getting proper PA speakers and an amp to match.

Quote Originally Posted by TonyB View Post
    The amp you have is a hi-fi amp and I suspect the speakers are hi-fi ones to match. The 800w rating of the speakers is probably the peak rating (probable RMS rating of them which you need to go by would be 200w or less) and if you connect them to any of the amps you have listed, they are likely to blow them very quickly.

You need to be looking at getting proper PA speakers and an amp to match.
    More likely than not you'll melt the crossovers

I have no knowledge of Skytec amps, but have successfully used a pair of 12" PL12 Skytec speakers with this amp http://www.htfr.com/p/155841/stage_l...ts_per_channel on occasion. No clipping and, although not overly loud, a pleasant and clear sound adequate for functions up to about 50.
    The Keyboard is mightier than the Sword ?
    Occasions Of Excellence For One & All In Cornwall

Quote Originally Posted by 16877elvis View Post
    if i buy the peavy 2600 amp would do you think it might blow my speakers?
    As a general rule, the amp needs to be slightly more powerful than the speakers. This will give you a little headroom before the amp starts to clip.
    Set the mixer so that is outputting a signal around 0dB and set the amp to the volume you require, if you hear distortion or you see a clip light you are driving it too hard.
    I know you are just starting out but I suggest you save up for a decent amp rather that buy a budget amp and then have to replace it a couple of months/years down the line.
    Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing.
    It was here first.

Hi Guys
    Which amp do you think would suit my skytec 800watts 8 ohms speakers a inuke nu3000, Peavy pv2600 or the Crown XLS802D.
    None of those. I'd suggest you start looking for a secondhand full system, because what you have now is too small for anything of any size. Even if you put a quality amp on those cabs, they won't last long.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad tidings, but that's the way it is.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

I'm a little out of date on amps as I use actives for all except really big stuff nowadays, however, I have always heard good things about the Behringer and Peavey budget amps and also the Warfdale does appear to be resonable too, I have a friend with 3 of them and he loves them.

As Daren says...the speaker spec. does sound very low and I think you should be looking at getting some cash in and going for some better speakers as well as amp or go for some actives, there are some very good DB ones about and I hear good reports on the W Audio too and when I listened to them I thought they sounded pretty fair.

Hi Guys
    Hi Tony,

As Excalibur has already said, better to ditch the lot and go for a decent brand.

Skytec are one of the brands which show power ratings that at best I would describe as "optimistic"..... a bit like the maximum speed of a 1970's moped... downhill with a back wind peddling like mad !

From the Max SPL you quoted in your first post the speakers are grossly inefficient. My trusty old Fane drivers have a sensitivity of 99db for a 1 watt input.

If you have two speakers with a difference in sensitivity of just 3db you will need twice as much power to drive the lower one to the same volume, 6db will require 4 times as much power and 9db will need 8 times as much power.

The power ratings of the amp will be when it is thrashed to bits because Skytec are a brand aimed at people who think the higher the number the better it must be.

You stated that the clipping lights were coming on, that is the worst thing you can do to an amplifier. Normally for a full range speaker cabinet the bass/mid accounts for approx 80% of the power and the high frquency component is around 20%

When an amplifier clips it generated lots of high frequency harmonics, often above the range of human hearing but these are passed straight through to the horns and it kills them and often then causes the crossovers to burn out as well.

If you are going down the passive route then start by finding some decent speakers with good sensitivity and decent power handling. Cheaper brands often fail to give either sensitivity or max spl ratings and only quote what seems like a very high power rating. BEWARE OF THOSE !

As you are effectively starting from scratch I would go down the active route but again be wary of the specs. When the prices of a given size of cabinet range from £200-800 there is a reason for it. All will work but there will be a difference in build quality, sound quality and performance. For small functions at reasonable volume the £200 may well be perfectly suitable but at the end of the day you get what you pay for.