Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1600W amp blowing

Default 1600W amp blowing

I have a 1600w prosound amp which I use for running my subs only (600w each), The problem is it keeps melting on 1 channel.

I have already had a replacement as the first one I had done exactly the same thing, Heres what happens.

The right channel kept on dropping and amp had to be reset, It never went into protect mode just died on the one channel, After the reset it came back on and was fine, This happened for a couple of weeks and probably 3 times during the gig, Then turned on and smelt electrical burning (you know the smell) and the channel completley not working.

This has now happened again on the replacement amp and I`m beginning to think its something I`m doing wrong, Dodgy batch of amps or me???

Hi there, I had the same trouble with a Mcgregor amp, after loads of checking it was found to be the cross over in the bass cab that was causing the amp to burn out. Hope this helps, and hope you sort it.
    Roy.

i know a guy down this way same amp same problem, he got a replacement from maplin under warranty did the same thing a week later, sold him my pv2600 not had a problem since

Quote Originally Posted by Supreme Soundz View Post
    i know a guy down this way same amp same problem, he got a replacement from maplin under warranty did the same thing a week later, sold him my pv2600 not had a problem since
    The amps are from maplin as well, Methinks dodgy batch

Don't know much about about Pro-sound, but if they are Maplins own make.

There's a strong clue as to what the answer is

www.accessallareasdisco.co.uk

Proud members of the NADJ

Quote Originally Posted by STEVE HANLEY View Post
    Don't know much about about Pro-sound, but if they are Maplins own make.

There's a strong clue as to what the answer is
    I thought it would be fine just to run subs but hey ho.

Subs are hard work. Some amps don't like that, I have one that I try to use for tops where possible.

I wouldn't be confident using a Maplins special on sub duty, but I would be quite prepared tolet it run the tops instead.

I suspect a combination of poor quality control, underspecced components and hard work to be the culprit.

As an aside, if folk have an amp they don't consider to be the finest piece of kit they own, I wouldn't recommend putting it on sub duty cos " It's only the thud thud, that doesn't need the good amp". Well sorry folks, give it an easy life, let it do the twiddly bits, and leave the good amp pounding out the low notes. And naming no names, but certain amps don't have a good reputation for running subs, whereas probably the most praised one is the old Behringer EP2500, which is fabled for accepting just about any combination of cabs, and carrying on regardless.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

Funny this, as not two months ago people on here were singing the praises of Pro-Sound amps!

http://www.forum.mobilediscodirector...ad.php?t=34481

Maybe the 1600 is significantly inferior to the 1000, I don't know. But, to be fair, I'd usually steer clear of Maplins. They were never the same after the stopped selling components in favour full products.
    Dazzy D
    Lightning Disco & Entertainment

Born to make you party!

Hi Hammy, it all depends on the power needed by your sobs. You say they are 600w but is this 8ohm if so the Prosound 1600 will never be any good

4Ω stereo: 2 x 500w
    8Ω stereo: 2 x 250w
    1600Wmax power
    specs from prosound site.
    I will add THIS WILL BE FOR 10 milliseconds
    Even if your subs are 600w at 4 ohm the amp still won't be enough. You really need an amp with more output than the speakers so you have overhead power and do not drive the amp causing it to burn out.

For instance I drive 600w 8 ohm subs with a 750w at 8ohm per channel amp and never had a problem in 12 years. Check out your speaker rating, wattage and ohms and get an amp that is slightly bigger.
    Last edited by chrisj; 25-09-2011 at 11:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisj View Post
    Hi Hammy, it all depends on the power needed by your sobs. You say they are 600w but is this 8ohm if so the Prosound 1600 will never be any good
    But by the same token, the subs could be rated at a figure they can sustain for a few milliseconds before they combust, so they may , repeat may be a decent power match for that amp. ( Though I wouldn't expect to be making the earth move with that rig. )
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk