Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 1600W amp blowing

Quote Originally Posted by hammy View Post
    I have a 1600w prosound amp which I use for running my subs only (600w each), The problem is it keeps melting on 1 channel.

I have already had a replacement as the first one I had done exactly the same thing, Heres what happens.

The right channel kept on dropping and amp had to be reset, It never went into protect mode just died on the one channel, After the reset it came back on and was fine, This happened for a couple of weeks and probably 3 times during the gig, Then turned on and smelt electrical burning (you know the smell) and the channel completley not working.

This has now happened again on the replacement amp and I`m beginning to think its something I`m doing wrong, Dodgy batch of amps or me???
    This probably wont help but I have said this before--use matched components from the same manufacturer for tops and subs.

I cheat by using Peavey Subs with Pro 15 tops connected by one wire from the sub using the onboard Peavey filter in the bass unit.

The Peavey Amps/ Powered Mixers are all suitable far as I know, have run XR 600f and the newer version on and off for 6 years never had any issues.

I do buy stuff from Maplins, but NEVER speakers or amps, despite being told they are ok, have listened to a Pro Sound PA set up which sounded fine.

Go for a reliable name maybe like Behringer, Warrior, Peavey etc.

stick with peavey ....pro sound bottom of range junk

Get a better amp - crown or something.
    Your DJ - Mobile DJ The New Forest, Southampton & Hampshire. Toby
    https://yourdj.co.uk/

http://www.forum.mobilediscodirector...ad.php?t=11397

Some light reading for you.

It turned out to be an issue with the speaker cabinet damaged so the amp kept cutting the channel out, 'safety mode.' Eventually, 'safety mode' turned it's self off and the channel started to burn out. I'll try and find the follow up thread.

Default Prosound 1600...

I've repaired many of these amps and the commom faults output stage not enough output devices to aid it's spec..

Even the relays failed..

Trying to get the circuit diagram is pain so you end up tracing out the circuit bit by bit.
    The input stage is a dual balanced stage followed vas stage then driver and output stage, oh and the dc rails are 88vdc this again is pushing the limited output stage.

Watch out for the soft start fill cap 1000uf say 35v it cracks round it's pins and the relay clatters.

Happy trails with this one folks

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne View Post
    I've repaired many of these amps and the commom faults output stage not enough output devices to aid it's spec..

Even the relays failed..

Trying to get the circuit diagram is pain so you end up tracing out the circuit bit by bit.
    The input stage is a dual balanced stage followed vas stage then driver and output stage, oh and the dc rails are 88vdc this again is pushing the limited output stage.

Watch out for the soft start fill cap 1000uf say 35v it cracks round it's pins and the relay clatters.

Happy trails with this one folks
    Hello Wayne. Good to have someone with technical knowledge here, can often come in very helpful. Please pop across to the Newbies section, and let us know a bit about yourself, it's always nice to know who we're conversing with.

I suspect Graham no longer views this as an urgent matter, since the thread is around seven years old, and quite likely to incite a certain gentleman to urge us to " bring out your dead".
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by hammy View Post
    I have a 1600w prosound amp which I use for running my subs only (600w each), The problem is it keeps melting on 1 channel.

I have already had a replacement as the first one I had done exactly the same thing, Heres what happens.

The right channel kept on dropping and amp had to be reset, It never went into protect mode just died on the one channel, After the reset it came back on and was fine, This happened for a couple of weeks and probably 3 times during the gig, Then turned on and smelt electrical burning (you know the smell) and the channel completley not working.

This has now happened again on the replacement amp and I`m beginning to think its something I`m doing wrong, Dodgy batch of amps or me???
    1/ Driving too low impedance in speakers.
    2/ Amp not vented properly ? fans working ?
    3/ Blocking air vents on amp in a tight enclosure.