Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Next move with non payer?

Default Next move with non payer?

I had a cancellation in September that seems to have dropped off the planet.

Quick bit of background. It was a Wedding Vows renewal at a hotel which was booked, contract signed & booking fee paid back in October last year. Tried to get hold of the couple at the end of Aug / beginning of September to finalise songs etc but couldn't.

About a week later after numerous emails and leaving voicemails I got an email off client saying that they cancelled via email "a while back". Obviously I'd received no email so got in touch with the hotel to see what was happening. As far as the hotel was concerned it was still happening as they had had no notice of cancellation either.

So I emailed the client stating that no email was received and that due to the timescale full payment is due etc etc. No surprise to me I never heard anything back.

Again I emailed and sent a SD letter with invoice etc giving her a date to pay by.

I tracked the SD online and it was a failed delivery ie: Nobody there to sign for it so it went to the sorting office and a card left. This morning I've had the SD letter returned to me by the Post Office as it wasn't collected.

I'm thinking now that my next step would be money claim but if that address isn't where they are anymore it'll just be wasted time & money.

Open to advice on this one please
    Professional DJ & Event services inc Led & Starlight dancefloors, Venue uplighting

Derbyshire Wedding DJ - Wedding Uplighting, Dancefloors and Professional Wedding DJs

Was the event in September Paul?

I would speak with the hotel (hopefully you have a strong relationship with them). I'm sure data protection acts are in place to ask for their personal details but they may be able to point you in the right direction about contacting them further.
    The Cheltenham Wedding DJ
    www.cheltenhamweddingdj.co.uk

DDWES Event Hire

www.ddwes.co.uk

Dependant on how much money you stood to gain and have potentially lost, I would personally look to "write it off". Gasp I hear you say, but short of sending a legal type letter it would perhaps be more time and effort than it is worth getting the money back.

Or you could "Send the Boys Round" !!!
    Ralph @ Disco Magic
    www.disco-magic.co.uk
    www.toastmasterinsurrey.co.uk

"Creating Magical Memories and Exceptional Events"

Quote Originally Posted by DeckstarDeluxe View Post
    Was the event in September Paul?

I would speak with the hotel (hopefully you have a strong relationship with them). I'm sure data protection acts are in place to ask for their personal details but they may be able to point you in the right direction about contacting them further.
    Event was September 18th.

Hotel has exactly same contact info as I do. I actually gave them the working email address of the client.

I'm thinking it may be a trip down to the address and check it out, chat to neighbours etc. Ironically I know that was definitely their house as the I met them there when they booked initially.

Quote Originally Posted by DiscoMagic View Post
    Dependant on how much money you stood to gain and have potentially lost, I would personally look to "write it off". Gasp I hear you say, but short of sending a legal type letter it would perhaps be more time and effort than it is worth getting the money back.

Or you could "Send the Boys Round" !!!
    Don't really want to "write it off" wasn't a cheap day!

As for sending the boys round. Quite possible as I know someone with a debt collection "Agency" however if they're not living there anymore it's pointless.
    Professional DJ & Event services inc Led & Starlight dancefloors, Venue uplighting

Derbyshire Wedding DJ - Wedding Uplighting, Dancefloors and Professional Wedding DJs

Quote Originally Posted by Spirits High View Post
    Event was September 18th.

Hotel has exactly same contact info as I do. I actually gave them the working email address of the client.

I'm thinking it may be a trip down to the address and check it out, chat to neighbours etc. Ironically I know that was definitely their house as the I met them there when they booked initially.
    So what happened with the hotel, did the event just not happen yet they were paid?
    The Cheltenham Wedding DJ
    www.cheltenhamweddingdj.co.uk

DDWES Event Hire

www.ddwes.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by DeckstarDeluxe View Post
    So what happened with the hotel, did the event just not happen yet they were paid?
    The hotel are still chasing them too!

get the hotel to stick your fee on their claim,and let them do the chasing.
    www.mobiledjcumbria.co.uk

N.A.D.J Member

North East & Cumbria branch Founder member

I would just accept its a write off. Its difficult to prove you have had a material loss as you never actually lost anything. The nature of our business means you lost an evenings work, but physical out of pocket is nil and you never actually provided the service. In fact you have some funds for no service at present.

I think you are onto a loser personally.
    www.nkentertainment.co.uk
    The north wests premier wedding DJ and singer package. We will not be beaten on quality!
    www.michaelmooble.co.uk

It is never nice to read that somebody has been let down and is having to chase payment especially if it is their only means of income.
    But I do wish people would refrain from this habit of suggesting that you 'send the boys round'.
    Its not professional,its not business like and it certainly doesnt do anything for the image of djing.

I would write it off and move on.

Failing that go through the small claims court and have a summons issued but I wouldn't hold my breath on getting paid.