Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Music too loud! Another B&G sue for money...

Default Music too loud! Another B&G sue for money...

On the way to work this morning, listening to LBC (a London Talk Radio Station), it was brought to air news that a Bride and Groom was sueing their entertainment providers because the music was too loud!

I didn't get to listen to the whole story because I had to start work but it prompted the Google Search function to start working away for me - results are...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...=feeds-newsxml

http://www.guardian.co.uk/money/2010...-bella-wedding

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/8834...ally-sick.html

The three stories could be viewed as a little conflicting, but in my mind there are several things that are fundementally wrong (on both sides!)...

I thought I would throw it out to the forum for discussion and your points of view.
    Ralph @ Disco Magic
    www.disco-magic.co.uk
    www.toastmasterinsurrey.co.uk

"Creating Magical Memories and Exceptional Events"

Quote Originally Posted by DiscoMagic View Post
    On the way to work this morning, listening to LBC (a London Talk Radio Station), it was brought to air news that a Bride and Groom was sueing their entertainment providers because the music was too loud!

I didn't get to listen to the whole story because I had to start work but it prompted the Google Search function to start working away for me - results are...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...=feeds-newsxml

http://www.guardian.co.uk/money/2010...-bella-wedding

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/8834...ally-sick.html

The three stories could be viewed as a little conflicting, but in my mind there are several things that are fundementally wrong (on both sides!)...

I thought I would throw it out to the forum for discussion and your points of view.
    Well my knowlege of much older functions is that all you have to do is turn the music on and they start complaining.
    With opera in a small hall/funtion room you cannot control the volume as it has to be loud so yes it will be loud as compared to an amitheatre

Look at Abraham licoln ( Dr Volkhardt Freitag, a music professor (whos ears are going to be sensitive - mine are now just from Djing).
    The average age is about 70 (the age of the couple):

It may have been an over ambiguous PA operator but classical music is loud in small confinements.

"staff at the venue had indicated you were a difficult customer. He suggested you would not have been happy had he sent you "Pavarotti himself"

I cant believe the settled out of court
    Last edited by yourdj; 19-10-2011 at 09:50 AM.
    Your DJ - Mobile DJ The New Forest, Southampton & Hampshire. Toby
    https://yourdj.co.uk/

Good God, Toby! How insulting can you be?

It would appear that their gripe was with the sound man, as even the venue stated that, due to the acoustics in the venue, amplification isn't usually required for this sort of thing. (The clients actually stated that the singers had good voices.)

It also stated that it was a two-room type affair, but they couldn't (didn't) put speakers in the other area, so it sounds like they did have it loud so as to be heard in the other area - and even turned it back up when a guest turned it down. Now I know he probably saw red when a guest messed with the kit, but with people leaving the room, sticking fingers in their ears, and turning it down, don't you think he might have thought about turning it down? Although, why they didn't just ask him to turn it down is a mystery!

In addition, having read all three articles, it sounds like the Agents didn't handle the complaint very well, and came across as rather rude. Even the venue stated that they wouldn't use them in the future.

Finally, the clients were only looking for a partial refund, plus costs and an apology, so that seems pretty fair in the circumstances!

Although volume can often be a contentious issue in the Mobile Disco environment, this case is about live performers so makes one wonder at it's relevance in this forum
    The Keyboard is mightier than the Sword ?
    Occasions Of Excellence For One & All In Cornwall

I think it's relevance is on the back of the thread the other day, and wedding entertainment being sued.

Quote Originally Posted by Kernow View Post
    Although volume can often be a contentious issue in the Mobile Disco environment, this case is about live performers so makes one wonder at it's relevance in this forum
    We have members who offer live entertainment alongside their DJ'ing, and most of us have worked with live acts - so quite a few will have valid opinions and experiences on the subject.

And also relevant following the recent spate of clients complaints that have been posted - it's another angle that could be used to try and get money back from any of us, so interesting to see how the court dealt with the issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Kernow View Post
    Lee for one does singing sets as well as Djing, theres a few more that I cant remember
    Larry Basham

Can you play something with a beat ?

Is it now worth our while to get some sort of disclaimer signed from the client at the end of the event, Asking if they enjoyed it and were there any problems?????, How to word it as well.

Quote Originally Posted by funkymook View Post
    We have members who offer live entertainment alongside their DJ'ing, and most of us have worked with live acts - so quite a few will have valid opinions and experiences on the subject.

And also relevant following the recent spate of clients complaints that have been posted - it's another angle that could be used to try and get money back from any of us, so interesting to see how the court dealt with the issue.
    Daily Mail say £1500 and some other small costs.

By my calculation thats 60 per cent.

No claim for the whole event which was no doubt very expensive-

OI HAD ME WEDDING RUINED style.

Interesting one, its true SOME older people do suffer from loud music which Toby suggests-- as I can confirm from a particularly difficult gig in the Summer which I wont bore you with---unless someone wants to start a new thread

Amplification for an event of this type seems RIDICULOUS.

Surely Opera Singers dont normally have it do they?

Having done a Wedding for a Professional PA Sound Engineer in the infamous Inflatable Blow up Church I can confirm he was a sound maniac.

Quote Originally Posted by Corabar Entertainment View Post
    It also stated that it was a two-room type affair, but they couldn't (didn't) put speakers in the other area,
    i am only playing devils advocate

however:

I can bet that the man in the photo was sitting right in front of the pa. How many times as a DJ has someone come up and complained about the volume level and they are sitting slap bang next speaker. It does not happen to me now as i purposefully move older folk to the other side of the room - obviously in a nice manner and its involved in the preplanning.

Quote Originally Posted by Corabar Entertainment View Post
    Good God, Toby! How insulting can you be?

It would appear that their gripe was with the sound man, as even the venue stated that, due to the acoustics in the venue, amplification isn't usually required for this sort of thing. (The clients actually stated that the singers had good voices.)
    Lord knows why they would book a sound man and why the singers paid them compensation as it was not their fault if that is the case.
    I personally think they are pain in the bum clients and the papers are being sympathetic to their needs as thats what the reader want to hear.

Quote Originally Posted by CRAZY K ROADSHOW View Post
    SOME older people do suffer from loud music which Toby suggests-- as I can confirm from a particularly difficult gig in the Summer which I wont bore you with---unless someone wants to start a new thread
    :
    I have become very sensitive to all sorts of sound over the last year. When the Iron Maiden warm up act
    started I could not stay in the same room and instead of demanding a refund they gave me some ear plugs sorted.

When i am an old man I will bring ear plugs and enjoy the show rather than moan all the time.
    i generally bring a pair to every party and gig I go to now so i will be in good practice when the time comes.

I will probably be deaf by then anyway with the music i listen to
    Last edited by yourdj; 19-10-2011 at 12:05 PM.
    Your DJ - Mobile DJ The New Forest, Southampton & Hampshire. Toby
    https://yourdj.co.uk/