Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Review - Greenwich instruments GWDMX - A programmable CA8!!

Default Review - Greenwich instruments GWDMX - A programmable CA8!!

Well I must say I looked at this back in march and thought "this is too good to be true"
    A standalone device that can program a sequence of scenes (just like a standalone unite like transcention) but all in one tiny little box!

Well I did met them at the BPM show (as they were next to the bar at our little meeting point ) and they are thoroughly nice guys.

Works a treat for my requirements.

http://www.greenwichinst.com/
    Your DJ - Mobile DJ The New Forest, Southampton & Hampshire. Toby
    https://yourdj.co.uk/

Great review Toby, I normally use a DMX Master controller but I think I might buy one for smaller gigs, how much did it cost?
    ...the chemistry of music
    ''''

I can see a use for their wall mountable ones. Can it do fades between button presses? IE you are on button one, press button 3 and it will fade into the program on button three?

Cracking little review, handy little thing for DMX dunces like me.

Quote Originally Posted by Alchemy View Post
    Great review Toby, I normally use a DMX Master controller but I think I might buy one for smaller gigs, how much did it cost?
    £100 ish It was £90 at the show.

You can purchase it here: http://www.greenwichinst.co.uk/products/GWDMX

Quote Originally Posted by Jiggles View Post
    I can see a use for their wall mountable ones. Can it do fades between button presses? IE you are on button one, press button 3 and it will fade into the program on button three?
    Yes it does do the fades you can set it up to ten seconds I think?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Wild View Post
    Cracking little review, handy little thing for DMX dunces like me.
    yes I fit in that category. The new user friendly software will be an improvement.

Here are a few specs:

DMX Lighting Controller, Lighting DMX, Handheld Controller
    Small and simple DMX lighting controller. Quick and easy to setup and use, can be used with or without a computer. Ideal for DMX lighting hire systems, DJ's, bands, pubs, clubs, theatres, etc.

Mini-DMX controller supplied with: 5V USB power supply, USB lead, Software CDROM.

Features

Powered via USB
    Low power consumption
    Ten programmable buttons
    Built-in Microphone
    0.1s (100 milliseconds) timer for fade and scene change timing
    DMX-512 Compatible
    On-board FLASH Memory for storing sequences
    Windows XP, Vista and 7 (32 and 64-bit) Compatible
    Robust metal box
    Specifications

Supply5V, ~60mA
    Dimensions85 x 51 x 23 mm
    Weight300 grams
    DMX Control Channels192
    USB ConnectionUSB-B
    DMX Lead Length50cm
    DMX Connector3-pin XLRF

Mmmmm nice one Toby may well have to sell my Acme DMX Master I and my Velleman USB DMX interface to get me one of these

Thanks

Glenn
    *** Genie Discs Entertainments ***

Professional Sound & Lighting, PAT Compliant, DJ Guard PLI Insurance and PRS/MCPS ProDub License.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenski View Post
    Mmmmm nice one Toby may well have to sell my Acme DMX Master I and my Velleman USB DMX interface to get me one of these

Thanks

Glenn
    I like it as it looks like its been made in some blokes garage (probably called Clive). They have thought of pretty much everything too. Like Ryger they are an english company with a good product so im my book deserve recognition.

First outing last night on the settings I had it on in the video (I even forgot to reset the blackout button)
    and all I can say is it is pretty much perfect for what I need it for. Excellent

Could do with lights on the buttons to know which one is currently active and it did turn off a couple of times (but the lights stayed on the last setting) - quick power reset sorted that. Would also be great to see it with batteries and wireless. I am looking in to modding it to facilitate that, but all in all an excellent piece of kit!

-
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Nice little review there and just like you Toby, I'm also a DMX Dunce.
    Couple of questions....
    You say that you can pre-program everything at home and then take it out on the road. Do you need to have a laptop out there with you. What I mean is, will it work independently on it's own when it's just DMX'd to the lights?

Also, If you wanted to use your laptop as a source of power for it, will it intefere with VDJ or whatever you are running?

Lastly, I bought MYDMX and didn't even use it out on the road. I sold it around 2 weeks after I bought it because I couldn't get my head around it. This looks much easier. So, just like MYDMX, does this have a list of fixtures so that you can choose from them? Sorry mate and I know it was a quick review but you didn't mention how you would go about assigning your fixtures and what to do if the fixture isn't on there.

I like the look of it. I am only using 6 effects now on the top bar and only 2 of those are DMXable (Revo III's) but I use panels behind me and it could be used for those and maybe Uplighting?

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by yourdj View Post
    First outing last night on the settings I had it on in the video (I even forgot to reset the blackout button)
    and all I can say is it is pretty much perfect for what I need it for. Excellent

Could do with lights on the buttons to know which one is currently active and it did turn off a couple of times (but the lights stayed on the last setting) - quick power reset sorted that. Would also be great to see it with batteries and wireless. I am looking in to modding it to facilitate that, but all in all an excellent piece of kit!

-
    I like the principle of it, but some sort of app for the ipod touch, iphone, ipad would offer lots more flexibility I think? I don't anything exists though.