Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Review - Greenwich instruments GWDMX - A programmable CA8!!

The freeze is easy to remedy in milliseconds, just pull the USB out & stick it back in.

As for support, when one of ours went wrong, I phoned them in the morning took it to them at lunchtime & was home with a working one by 2:30. OK I live within driving distance of them, but that's still bloody good.
    Steve Mad, bad & dangerous to know www.corabar.co.uk
    Better to study for one hour with the wise, than to drink wine with the foolish.
    The opinions of Corabar Steve are not necessarily those of Corabar Entertainment, or any of its subsidiaries

Quote Originally Posted by Corabar Steve View Post
    The freeze is easy to remedy in milliseconds, just pull the USB out & stick it back in.

As for support, when one of ours went wrong, I phoned them in the morning took it to them at lunchtime & was home with a working one by 2:30. OK I live within driving distance of them, but that's still bloody good.
    Nope the freeze occurs on the software and it jams the unit. you have to send it back to them to get it flashed or something?
    The one at gigs is OK and happens a few times a night, but should not happen at all IMO.

That is good service and they are great guys. When did you get support Steve?

I have sent them over four emails (within the last 6 months) with no reply and my friend must have tried to contact them in every possible way with nothing too. They were very good with him up until about 1 year or so and have not got back to him or myself once. He now has 2 dead units and only one that works, so there is a definite issue with the hardware! As I say if you get a good one then I suggest you program it once and leave it at that, as it seems that it happens after a few times? You would have to ask my friend more about it as he does all my DMX. He is a member here.

They should have sold far more units than they have - worldwide, its a shame really as its largely a very well conceived and solid product.
    Last edited by yourdj; 07-07-2014 at 12:58 PM.
    Your DJ - Mobile DJ The New Forest, Southampton & Hampshire. Toby
    https://yourdj.co.uk/

November.

Never had an issue when connected to the software, the only freeze I've had was while it was in use & that is fixed as detailed above.
    Steve Mad, bad & dangerous to know www.corabar.co.uk
    Better to study for one hour with the wise, than to drink wine with the foolish.
    The opinions of Corabar Steve are not necessarily those of Corabar Entertainment, or any of its subsidiaries

Out of curiosity, does the controller in software mode work with any other software like Freestyler. Just wondering, as the main reason I'm looking in to this is initially to control a Kam Laserscan 1000 for which freestyler has a fixture setup.

The dreaded 'Freeze Up' has occurred in mine. I've used it a total of 4 times. It's completely non responsive and the software can't see it.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaun View Post
    The dreaded 'Freeze Up' has occurred in mine. I've used it a total of 4 times. It's completely non responsive and the software can't see it.
    Sounds very much like the problem I had on Windows 7 with the cheap DMX adapter I bought. The problem in my case is the USB to serial converter chip isn't a genuine chip - it's masquerading as a chip made by FTDI. Windows update, when it goes to grab drivers for new devices sees that it says it's an FTDI device & installs the FTDI driver... which then goes & detects it as non-genuine & writes its usb product ID to all zeros meaning your light control software doesn't see it. You can reprogram the USB product ID under Linux really quickly & easily but once it gets borked by windows update & the FTDI driver it'll get borked every time you boot up with it plugged in.

The solution? Buy a more expensive adapter, or run Linux on yer light control machine For what it's worth, I really like QLC+. Very easy to use both in terms of setting up new fixture profiles and scenes etc

Quote Originally Posted by Shaun View Post
    New versions of this sort of thing are emerging now, so it won't be long before something similar comes out of you can use an iPad app.
    I would bin it as you won't have a chance in hell of getting hold of richard. My assistant has 3-4 broken ones now.
    I thankfully have 2 working ones and i am not touching them at all.

- I had a lucky escape there as i was going to buy 100 of them (at retail rate) and sell them separately, because Greenwich were so crap at marketing the product. assuming the freeze thing was sorted, they could have sold millions of them worldwide at a reasonable rate (circa mydmx cost). Muppets.

Damn, just turned the power out for a new double USB plug and the button it was on has been wiped.
    Me and my big mouth

Got the spare one, so leave the main oe as back up, unless I loose more buttons