Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Social Networking.

Default Social Networking.

Appreciate that this may be about to open a can of worms, but really keen to get peoples views on this/find out if I'm missing out.

I understand that social networking is here to stay, and that there are certainly benefits for certain businesses (including Disco's) but at the moment I'm struggling to see how I can use it to directly impact on what I do- which is mainly Weddings.

I can see that some of the guys on the forum who do teen/student events have a really big following on Facebook and can use it to announce public events/share photos etc (I'd say Vibrant do this superbly and their amount of followers backs this up).

What I don't really understand is how potential clients for me would stumble across a LWD twitter feed or Facebook page, and what they would really get out of it if they did.
    I suspect part of it is improving Google Rankings, which is a good start, but do potential clients really want to know whether I'm off to such and such a venue tonight or that this week has been a good week for bookings?

Thinking about how I use social networking as a consumer there aren't many bits that interest me unless there is a direct offer/promotion/benefit which I cant see happening for LWD.

Appreciate that x million people cant be wrong, so keen to here from those who use it and have generated tangible results- do you use it as a source of traffic for the website, do you secure business from Facebook alone?

Thoughts please.

Hey, x million people can be wrong, just look back through history

That aside, personally i don't use it for business, but i can see why people would

I suppose in a sense you could use it as a tool to raise awareness of the business rather than to direct sell, it could also put your business name in the back of peoples minds.

My theory is this, if everyone thinks one thing, then i think the other way, so i'm probably not the best person to give advice

That's my thoughts anyway

Thanks, but i was really looking for comments from one of the many on here who do use it for business. Anyone?

I use facebook pages, groups, twitter and linked in and blogging.
    I use it for the discos and I also use it for the martial arts classes I teach.

It works well for me and I've been using the above methods for quite a while.

My advice is to be careful what you say if using for business use. I've seen people update pages as if it was a personal profile and does not create a pro image.
    Another hate is when people update status after status for the sake of it. Try to make each update interesting and interacting.

If using twitter, I was given advice before to interact with others by commenting on their tweets, retweeting, commenting and acknowledging other you follow. Try to follow other people in the industry for example other dj's, discos, event companies, sound & lighting manufacturers, wedding venues, florists, photographers, printers etc... People that you can build links and network on subjects specific to your business.

Again if using twitter for business i personally keep tweets free from personal thoughts and keep it business related.

I also make a point of mentioning others. Usually once a day and at random I will mention and add a link to a business connection. This could be mentioning a photographer, a band, a florist a venue etc. I usually say something like " looking for a great photographer for tour 2012 wedding? Full force events are proud to have worked alongside mr flash
    Photography and highly recommend his service. Find out more about him here at his website or facebook page www whatever.com "

These work well as the people you mention are more inclined to do the same for you on their facebook and websites and promotes a good image.

If running a business Facebook profile, Facebook has a feature where it will email you a list of friends/followers birthdays. Take the time to write on their profile to build brand awareness. For example " happy birthday from so and so discos" if your clever you can tag a link to your site or Facebook page into the post allowing everyone else on their friends list to see it and click on it.

Always check what you post before posting.

Read your Facebook stats for your page. Facebook provides useful statistics on a weekly basis. Do not discard this as you can use the information to improve.

As I said above it's great to promote yourself but even better of others promote you. Try to work with other local suppliers that are related to the industry. Try to build a relationship with them and promote a local working ring. Mention them and what they do and provide and get them to do the same for you. It speaks much more highly if someone else mentions your business plus you have the opportunity to target a wider audience of potential clients that are not aware of your brand or existence.

Healthy debate is good too. Maybe a update with a question. For example "when organising your wedding, what is the most important aspect of your day". Use questions to try and engage followers and debate.

I have a load more tips and suggestions I will try and do later.

Well done Steve (full force) very informative post. I am new to using Facebook for business purposes. I take it using Facebook for business purposes that it is set up different from the normal one? Ie Able to see stats etc

Yes if you set up a business page you will be able to see the stats. The stats show how many visits your page has had, how many users, interactions etc.. Quite useful if you can work with the results.

I have used Facebook pages and groups for ages for business. I also teach martial arts and use my martial arts one to run offers that also works well.

Twitter is good and also I suggest getting a linkedin profile too.

I have worked with quite a few people just from connecting on linkedin. Managed to get one huge event Job last minute just from a linkedin contact.

Remember it also takes time to build up and you must allocate a bit of time everyday to promote social networking if you want to use it as a business tool. My old page (now deleted) had over 1500 members bit it takes time to build up.

I don't use Facebook to purely generate bookings, I use it to build brand awareness and get my companies name out there.

Don't forget also to get a page address. You can get this after you have about 25 likes.

A unique address could be www.Facebook.com/cambridgeweddingdj

This is much better to use as it's a direct address and you can use it on your business cards etc..

I put a link to my Facebook page on our business cards and anything else I use for promotion.

Also don't forget that if you are a DJ event planner user there is a feature of adding a direct planning link to your Facebook page. This allows the client to log in straight from Facebook. I use it on mine and Alex will no doubt be able to help further.
    Last edited by Fullforceeventsltd; 01-11-2011 at 08:06 AM.

I have had a bit more thought about using social media. As I have said before I have been using various methods of social media for a long time, and not always good. Some of the tips and suggestions I use and have been helpful to me. They may or may not be useful to you and I would suggest researching the subject thoroughly first.

The main reason I use social media is to get better search rankings, improve branding, improve exposure, build networking and business relationships and for customer relations. I don’t use it just to generate disco bookings or enquiries.

A good tip I did receive before was to think what the customer would like to read before you post, blog or tweet. Think what your site or page visitor wants to read and see from you. These are the people you want to attract and want to make a good impression no matter how they come across you.

Try to write and focus on your content and not direct marketing. You ultimate goal is to get people to like what they see and share it with their own friends or groups.

Remember to update regularly but not over the top. Personally there is nothing worst and frustrating than finding someone who makes a post or update every 5 minutes about all aspects of their lives. I usually delete people straight away who do this as it annoys the hell out of me.

I usually try to make at least one post a day. Like I said before I try to mention another company or professional who I network with. This works on two levels. It makes the person feel important that you have gone out your way to notice them and suggest them and they will hopefully do the same for you. You then reach a much greater target area. All their clients then are potentially yours as well.

Use keyword phrases in posts and blogs but don’t go over the top. Using anchor text in things you link to also leaves a digital footprint and may do more harm than good as it may look like you are trying to manipulate search engine results.

Remember not to just link to your website home page. Provide links to other pages in your site and make a point in mentioning and commenting on these. For example in stead of just writing “ please take a look at our new website at www.adisco.com” maybe say “ have a look at our fantastic new range of uplighting packages that are available to hire form £100 at www.adisco.com/uplighting”.

Use the social networking to introduce all aspects of your business and discuss these. For example you may be known for providing a great mobile disco but people might not be aware you do karaoke, dance floors, uplighting, staging, hire, décor etc… use the social media to give exposure to these extra services that people may not associate with you.
    When I first started using facebook, I thought all other disco companies were competitors and only on my page to be nosy to see what we are doing. Well I was totally wrong. When I looked from a wider perspective I thought of the advantage. Try and use competitors to your advantage. Use them to exchange links, team up with and network with.

If you are following other competitors, a good bit of advice I read was not to ask for favours. If you are following another local company I just purely comment on photos and posts. For example if they post a photo of a gig, I just post nice set up, where was the venue.

The tip says “Don’t ask for favours and don’t flaunt the favours you do. Simply follow, comment on, link to, or otherwise become “known” to select publishers in your niche and they will notice and generally begin to reciprocate. Given time the relationship will form naturally and be mutually beneficial”.

Try to get involved ion discussions, reply to blog posts and ask for feedback where necessary. Remember to act on any response you get. A friend of mine makes a common mistake here. He is very big on health food and cooking and has been on TV and in many books and magazines. He has a large following on his facebook page. He has a lot of posts from people who follow him asking for advice and information. If I read down the page at the questions people are asking him 7 times out of 10 he never has replied as he is too busy.

To me this does not look good and you should make an effort to reply to anyone that interacts and communicates with you.
    Remember to be careful what you write, your personal views and beliefs should not be aired if using for business. Again a friend I know who runs a motorbike shop made a big mistake here. He organised a local open day and advertised it on facebook and created an event. Not many people turned up and in his frustration, he made a post on his business page/profile saying “thanks for the support you bar stewards”!!!

Straight away he received a lot of back lash and in my opinion damaged his professional rep in a split second of heated posting.
    Last edited by Fullforceeventsltd; 01-11-2011 at 09:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Fullforceeventsltd View Post
    I have had a bit more thought about using social media. As I have said before I have been using various methods of social media for a long time, and not always good. Some of the tips and suggestions I use and have been helpful to me. They may or may not be useful to you and I would suggest researching the subject thoroughly first.

The main reason I use social media is to get better search rankings, improve branding, improve exposure, build networking and business relationships and for customer relations. I don’t use it just to generate disco bookings or enquiries.

A good tip I did receive before was to think what the customer would like to read before you post, blog or tweet. Think what your site or page visitor wants to read and see from you. These are the people you want to attract and want to make a good impression no matter how they come across you.

Try to write and focus on your content and not direct marketing. You ultimate goal is to get people to like what they see and share it with their own friends or groups.

Remember to update regularly but not over the top. Personally there is nothing worst and frustrating than finding someone who makes a post or update every 5 minutes about all aspects of their lives. I usually delete people straight away who do this as it annoys the hell out of me.

I usually try to make at least one post a day. Like I said before I try to mention another company or professional who I network with. This works on two levels. It makes the person feel important that you have gone out your way to notice them and suggest them and they will hopefully do the same for you. You then reach a much greater target area. All their clients then are potentially yours as well.

Use keyword phrases in posts and blogs but don’t go over the top. Using anchor text in things you link to also leaves a digital footprint and may do more harm than good as it may look like you are trying to manipulate search engine results.

Remember not to just link to your website home page. Provide links to other pages in your site and make a point in mentioning and commenting on these. For example in stead of just writing “ please take a look at our new website at www.adisco.com” maybe say “ have a look at our fantastic new range of uplighting packages that are available to hire form £100 at www.adisco.com/uplighting”.

Use the social networking to introduce all aspects of your business and discuss these. For example you may be known for providing a great mobile disco but people might not be aware you do karaoke, dance floors, uplighting, staging, hire, décor etc… use the social media to give exposure to these extra services that people may not associate with you.
    When I first started using facebook, I thought all other disco companies were competitors and only on my page to be nosy to see what we are doing. Well I was totally wrong. When I looked from a wider perspective I thought of the advantage. Try and use competitors to your advantage. Use them to exchange links, team up with and network with.

If you are following other competitors, a good bit of advice I read was not to ask for favours. If you are following another local company I just purely comment on photos and posts. For example if they post a photo of a gig, I just post nice set up, where was the venue.

The tip says “Don’t ask for favours and don’t flaunt the favours you do. Simply follow, comment on, link to, or otherwise become “known” to select publishers in your niche and they will notice and generally begin to reciprocate. Given time the relationship will form naturally and be mutually beneficial”.

Try to get involved ion discussions, reply to blog posts and ask for feedback where necessary. Remember to act on any response you get. A friend of mine makes a common mistake here. He is very big on health food and cooking and has been on TV and in many books and magazines. He has a large following on his facebook page. He has a lot of posts from people who follow him asking for advice and information. If I read down the page at the questions people are asking him 7 times out of 10 he never has replied as he is too busy.

To me this does not look good and you should make an effort to reply to anyone that interacts and communicates with you.

Remember to be careful what you write, your personal views and beliefs should not be aired if using for business. Again a friend I know who runs a motorbike shop made a big mistake here. He organised a local open day and advertised it on facebook and created an event. Not many people turned up and in his frustration, he made a post on his business page/profile saying “thanks for the support you bar stewards”!!!

Straight away he received a lot of back lash and in my opinion damaged his professional rep in a split second of heated posting.

What with all the ?
    Larry Basham

Can you play something with a beat ?

poxy iphone!!! for some reason put them in, edited it now hopefully!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Fullforceeventsltd View Post
    poxy iphone!!! for some reason put them in, edited it now hopefully!!!
    Wow, I thought you just had a bad case of Tourettes

But you still missed one