Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Cancellation

Quote Originally Posted by Shaun View Post
    Ross,

I'm no legal expert but does your contract state something along the lines that as soon as the form is signed the client agrees to be bound by the terms. In that case I'd say that it's less than 28 days prior to the event and they owe the fee in full as they have agreed to.
    It says:

"By signing below, I certify that the above personal and event information is correct. I understand, agree to, and personally guarantee to the terms and conditions herein."

So yes I would say that it does say that the client agrees to be bound by the terms.

Quote Originally Posted by CRAZY K ROADSHOW View Post
    Well if a Contract is signed I would have thought that you could insist on at least some compensation.

Im not sure how binding an e contract would be in small claims court--im sure Angela knows

I have been caught recently where no Contract has been received or NRBF has been paid on short notice bookings--

Probably only going to small claims court would get you the fee--probably not worth it.

Im expecting to do that next week---but its for an amount of over £2000.
    I don't have any intention of going to court - It's really not worth it for the amount the gig is paying.

Quote Originally Posted by rossken View Post
    It says:

"By signing below, I certify that the above personal and event information is correct. I understand, agree to, and personally guarantee to the terms and conditions herein."

So yes I would say that it does say that the client agrees to be bound by the terms.

I don't have any intention of going to court - It's really not worth it for the amount the gig is paying.
    I'd say it's enforeable too, going by what you've stated.

If it were me I'd see them in court, even if it meant taking a loss. More so because of the principle of the matter.

If it were me I'd see them in court, even if it meant taking a loss. More so because of the principle of the matter.
    Subject to the e contract being enforceable I agree 100 per cent--go for some compo--

Subject to the e contract being enforceable I agree 100 per cent
    Well, if nothing else it would be a good lesson as to whether my e-contract is indeed enforceable.
    Last edited by Shaun; 08-11-2011 at 09:41 PM.

Subject to the e contract being enforceable I agree 100 per cent--go for some compo--

I can at least ask. If she makes a big fuss and says no then oh well...

If you don't ask you don't get!

Ignoring the less well informed comments, do cancellations occur really often for you guys? Last year I recall two or maybe three cancellations but two of those were for very good reasons where I wouldn't dream of taking any form of payment let alone chase someone for it.

What's the likelihood of most of you not taking in enough work to be able to withstand a few knocks here and there?

I don't see the point in burdening customers with small print and legalities that usually won't be enforced.

Seeing people in court and seeking compo is not a good way of maintaining relations with customers and your reputation could only suffer for it. From the OP, for me finding out why a customer cancelled rather than going into combat with them would be more productive in the long term!
    Last edited by paulg; 08-11-2011 at 10:18 PM. Reason: added because of other posts

Quote Originally Posted by paulg View Post
    Ignoring the less well informed comments,
    Care to share which (in your opinion of course) these are, rather than making snide comments like the above
    Steve Mad, bad & dangerous to know www.corabar.co.uk
    Better to study for one hour with the wise, than to drink wine with the foolish.
    The opinions of Corabar Steve are not necessarily those of Corabar Entertainment, or any of its subsidiaries

Quote Originally Posted by paulg View Post
    Ignoring the less well informed comments, do cancellations occur really often for you guys? Last year I recall two or maybe three cancellations but two of those were for very good reasons where I wouldn't dream of taking any form of payment let alone chase someone for it.

What's the likelihood of most of you not taking in enough work to be able to withstand a few knocks here and there?

I don't see the point in burdening customers with small print and legalities that usually won't be enforced.

Seeing people in court and seeking compo is not a good way of maintaining relations with customers and your reputation could only suffer for it. From the OP, for me finding out why a customer cancelled rather than going into combat with them would be more productive in the long term!
    Looking back through my paperwork...I had 9 cancellations last year;

1 death, was within my 30 days for full fee, but didnt chase them for it....as it was the birthday boy (70 year old man) who popped his clogs

1 wedding where they split up...kept the NRBF as they cancelled in plenty of time.

7 general cancelations, ranging from loosing their booking fee, to haing to pay 509%, to having to pay the full amount. Of those 7, im 99% positive that 5 or 6 of them where where they paid the NRBF, then realised that they could loose the fee, and still find a cheaper dj saving them some money... I had to take 2 of them to court as they hadnt read the T&Cs and cancelled within 30 days and wernt paying up... i won both times.
    http://www.dynamic-entertainment.co.uk

Tel:0800 990 3030

The opinions here are those of an individual and not necessarily those of Dynamic Entertainment.

Quote Originally Posted by Dynamic Entertainment View Post
    to haing to pay 509%,
    That's one Hell of a penalty clause!
    Steve Mad, bad & dangerous to know www.corabar.co.uk
    Better to study for one hour with the wise, than to drink wine with the foolish.
    The opinions of Corabar Steve are not necessarily those of Corabar Entertainment, or any of its subsidiaries

Well if a Contract is signed I would have thought that you could insist on at least some compensation.

Im not sure how binding an e contract would be in small claims court--im sure Angela knows

I have been caught recently where no Contract has been received or NRBF has been paid on short notice bookings--

Probably only going to small claims court would get you the fee--probably not worth it.

Im expecting to do that next week---but its for an amount of over £2000.
    I'd have thought an e-contract is as legally-binding as a paper contract. Again, it's down to whether or not there was the "intent to form a contract" between both parties at the time it was "signed" electronically or otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by Corabar Steve View Post
    Obviously a part-timer with a "day job"
    Hey, I'm a part-timer with a day job but I've always run my entertainment business with the upmost level of professionalism including using contracts and taking NRBF. It's all down to my mindset but I do accept different people do things different ways. I know full-timers who are as laid-back as can be and also some who are downright dodgy. But this is not for me!

And if you're not going to enforce your contract then what's the point of your contract?

Quote Originally Posted by Dynamic Entertainment View Post
    Looking back through my paperwork...I had 9 cancellations last year;

1 death, was within my 30 days for full fee, but didnt chase them for it....as it was the birthday boy (70 year old man) who popped his clogs

1 wedding where they split up...kept the NRBF as they cancelled in plenty of time.

7 general cancelations, ranging from loosing their booking fee, to haing to pay 509%, to having to pay the full amount. Of those 7, im 99% positive that 5 or 6 of them where where they paid the NRBF, then realised that they could loose the fee, and still find a cheaper dj saving them some money... I had to take 2 of them to court as they hadnt read the T&Cs and cancelled within 30 days and wernt paying up... i won both times.
    509%??? Crikey, you're harsh!!!
    Dazzy D
    Lightning Disco & Entertainment

Born to make you party!