Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Numark DJ2GO.

Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
    Err, you do realise this is a computer related product? Sure you don't want to phone a friend?

Just remember that the volume controls for each side are rotary, and very very basic. I simply leave them set and use the Denon mixer controls.

VDJ7 is the way to go for full functionality. For anyone who hasn't got experience of VDJ, or simply wants a backup backup, the bundled LE version works fine, it just doesn't have the bells and whistles. It also saves nearly £200, so something for some to consider.

I actually think it outperforms its price tag. The controls are responsive, the buttons feel nice, it's only the volume controls which don't respond well. I used the load buttons and search rotary more than I expected, and found them fine.
    In response:

1. Yes, I realise it's a computer product and I have an HNC in IT and Applications so I'm pretty confident with computer systems!! And your experience points to what I'm looking for so phoning a friend wont be necessary (this time!! )

2. I have the auto-gains set on VDJ and make any minor volume adjustments using the mixer sliders so the rotary volume controls are not important to me. I'm simply looking for start/stop, cue controls and simple looping and effects controls. All of this is possible using the laptop trackpad and the keyboard shortcuts but, using this method, I can only realistically perform one action at a time. With this control I'm hoping it's easier to combine actions for more effective mixing.

3. I've been using VDJ since V3 but I've always held back upgrading until I was confident any bugs were ironed out. When I get things working the way I want, I'm always reluctant to change or upgrade. I've had one problem with V7 but this related to the use of an external camera on the video effects (when using the camera plugin automatically for audio tracks) and I think the camera drivers needed updating. I've done this now and it seems to be running smoother now.

4. If the features and controls I need run well then it's £50 well spent. If not, then I'm only out of pocket to the tune of £50 (well, £44.95 from one online site right now) or the unit gets demoted to bedroom use. Seems like the rewards can outweigh the risks to me.

The only problem I can forsee it that my homemade DJ desk doesn't have an awful lot of spare space so I'd also be looking at making a new shelf/pull-out tray for it. Easy enough, though!
    Dazzy D
    Lightning Disco & Entertainment

Born to make you party!

Mate, I wasn't questioning your computer skills, merely your wisdom in following my advice concerning computer related products.

I am to computers what Willie Carson is to Sumo wrestling.

Sounds to me like it will be exactly what you're after. Keep us posted please.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

Mate, I wasn't questioning your computer skills, merely your wisdom in following my advice concerning computer related products.

Sounds to me like it will be exactly what you're after. Keep us posted please.
    I wasn't suggesting I thought you were questioning my ability!

....quickly reads back through posts...

Oh, right. My post reads a bit strong, there. Had the kids all day and the headache tablets haven't kicked in yet!! What I meant to say was that I'm happy to trust your recommendation and I'm confident I can resolve any IT-related issues. Does that sound better? Maybe I should just break out the port now!!!

As I posted on another thread, I'm planning a trip to Phase1 (or maye Disco World - not sure which is closer) after Christmas and I'm hoping to get a feel of the controller then. Or maybe I'll wake up on 25th December to find one in my stocking!!
    Dazzy D

Born to make you party!

Quote Originally Posted by DazzyD View Post
    I'm going to agree with Peter on this.

I went to BPM to look at the digital controllers (and active speakers) and, to be honest, I was completely bewildered with the controllers on offer and some of the features they offer. Basically, I want to be able to improve my mixing from laptop trackpad and keyboard shortcuts and the DJ2GO looks like it's everything I'm looking for. I also upgraded to VDJ7 in the last month which, I understand, offers native support for the DJ2GO. However, I'm going to ignore the negative comments on the VDJ forums - I don't expect it to perform the same as high-end controllers but you get what you pay for and I think £50 to provide the functionality that I need is pretty much on the nose.

Anyway, I've now added it to my Christmas wish-list to Santa so I need to wait and see if I have been good enough this year!
    I thought hard about buying one of these a few months ago, but because I would have had to buy the DJIO as well I ended up buying the MixTrack Pro which has an audio interface built in, larger jog wheels, buttons for direct access to effects/loops/cues/etc and only cost about £20 more than a DJIO + DJ2Go. I've been using it for about 4 months now with no issues (touch wood).

Numark seem to have come a very very long way with their controllers since the days of the Total Control. It's just a shame they don't make one in a metal case! I bought a large laptop bag to transport the Mixtrack Pro and sometimes I have to double check that it's in there!

Julian
    http://www.bristoldiscohire.co.uk - Quality Disco and Equipment hire for Bristol & Bath
    Weddings, Birthday Parties, Kids Parties, School Disco's and more
    https://julianburr.co.uk - Wedding, Family, Portrait and Product Photography

Pete, you never fail to amuse me !! lol

Just bought myself one of these from DJ Dealer, and at a very very good price... will have a play with it tonight...

Thank you

Glenn
    *** Genie Discs Entertainments ***

Professional Sound & Lighting, PAT Compliant, DJ Guard PLI Insurance and PRS/MCPS ProDub License.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenski View Post
    ... will have a play with it tonight...

Thank you

Glenn
    Careful Glen you'll go blind !!!

Well, my Numark DJ2Go arrived on Wednesday which was a busy day for me so I didn't get to play around with it until Thursday. Me being the highly techy kind (I kid you not!!) I decided to forego the online manual and see if I could set it up instinctively. Bearing in mind the blurb stated "USB Plug N Play" I thought it shouldn't be too difficult. And, in all honesty, it wasn't.

I decided to plug it in first in the hope that any necessary drivers would be built in to the unit or, as a last resort, Win7 would look online for them. Using the supplied USB to MiniUSB cable, I plugged it in to a spare USB socket, Win7 told me it had detected new hardware and proceeded to install the drivers. After a couple of mins (I'd started to get a little concerned - it seemed to take a bit longer than I'd expected) the message came up that the device had successfully installed. Hmm. Almost too easy!! I unplugged the unit (it didn't show up in the Safely Remove Hardware tool??) and then plugged it back in and it was instantly recognised. It couldn't have been any easier.

Next step, fire up Virtual DJ. After taking Peter's (Excalibur) advice, I'd already upgraded to v7 so I didn't bother with installing the LE (Light Edition) of VDJ that came with the unit. I started VDJ, it read my libraries, and, to my suprise (god only knows why I wasn't expecting it!) my DJ2Go sprang in to life with some of the buttons lighting up in the way that my old CD controllers do. All of a sudden, I felt very at home. The DJ2Go unit basically offers the same transport controls that CD controllers use so anyone who's used CDs in the past with A-B deck controllers will find it very easy to get to grips with and quickly. In fact, after less than 30 mins getting used to the layout I was successfully mixing tracks together in a way that I could have only dreamed about when using VDJ with just the laptop's keyboard. The reason being is that you can press several buttons at the same time which is impossible when using just trackpad and keyboard shortcuts. With this unit, I could monitor a track, play another track, pitch-bend and control the crossfader all at the same time. I was starting to get very happy with the device and it's £49 price tag.

However, with just about everything, nothing is perfect and the DJ2Go does have it's downsides. The most obvious negative is, perhaps, one it's biggest positives - it's size. It's small and portable just like it's intended to be. The buttons are fairly well spaced out but that didn't stop me keep catching the jogwheels when I was pressing the buttons. The sheer sensitivity of the jogwheels resulted in the track playing to stutter. I could see this becoming a problem as I am by nature a bit of a clumsy person and I could see me catching the jogwheel often. However, there was a fix. In Options, VDJ was set up to use the "vinyl" mode for the jogwheels. By switching this to "CD" mode, I could stop the stuttering as this mode uses the jogwheel to change pitch/tempo as opposed to giving a scratch effect. I don't scratch tracks (I'm definately not a hip-hop DJ!!) so the loss of this feature won't upset me too much!! Now when I catch the jogwheel the track keeps playing. Great!

I've played around with the unit for a couple of days and have now used it twice in a live gig environment and the only other negative that stands out is the use of the sample player. For some reason, when I now play a sample it seems to drop the volume of the main track being played and play the sample at a high volume. Before, the samples used to play at a volume consistant with the main volume but this seems to have changed. I don't use samples that much nowadays (except I use a "cheer" sfx when doing karaoke and the singer doesn't get a reaction from the crowd) but it's something I do need to try and put right. I've a week until my next karaoke show so try and resolve this in the meantime.

My only regret with buying the DJ2Go is that I wish I'd done it sooner as it would have certainly come in handy during the Christmas period shows. The thing that delayed my decision was that DJ Jules' post seemed to suggest that you need the Numark DJIO to use the DJ2Go controller. However, I'm happy to report, this isn't the case and the DJ2Go can be used with just about any soundcard - onboard, external or otherwise. It's the software that utilises the soundcard setup anyway and not the controller. The DJ2Go simply controls the software. I have it set up in a way so that the main sound is routing through my Creative Labs external soundcard and then in to the mixer. The monitoring sound is simply coming through my onboard sound (Realtek audio) through to my audio out socket which I've plugged my headphones in to. Simples! However, I will be looking at purchasing a multi-channel soundcard eventually as then I can get the headphone output via the mixer.

My overall opinion of the DJ2Go is good and it will suit anyone, like me, who has progressed using different types of players over the years and who is familiar with the CD A-B deck transport controllers. At under £50 it's an ideal choice to give you better control over your playout software without breaking the bank or buying extra features that complicate things and may never get used.
    Dazzy D

Born to make you party!

Couldn't of said that better myself. Spot on.
    I agree about the jog wheel but I hardly use it anyway and the unit is there for backup.

Must agree with a lot that has been said. I bought my at BPM and until yesterday only being toying around with it.
    That is until I bought virtual dj7 yesterday.It now offers me the ability to use the DJ2GO in al its basic glory...and use the Automix/Crate facility if I want to as well. Great for those quiet times at the start of some gigs.
    I am going to persevere with this as I had just about given up on using a laptop at gigs and went back to my cd collection.
    And as I use my cd/mixer as output for the laptop, I`ll still be able to have my cd`s, albeit a smaller selection, as back up.
    Who knows ,might get to like this way of dj`ing. But for moment, definately £50.00 well spent.
    CDK ENTERTAINMENTS
    *music for all occasions"