Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What speakers?

Default What speakers?

Hello folk.

Tonight, I sold my Mackie PA sound system consisting of two Mackie SRM 450's and two Mackie SWA 1501's. I kept the other set of SRM 450's I have to use for gigs, until I get a new set of speakers.

I am currently on the look out for a pair of top speakers which will give me good bass reponse and nice clear mid and high's for small to medium venues without the use of a sub.

I have been looking at the EV Live X ELX 112P and 115P, but I want to see what else is out there before I go and buy a pair of speakers.

I have a budget of around £1300 to spend, maybe a little bit more if the speakers are good quality.

I will leave it up to you now for some suggestions!

Thanks!

I haven't heard the EV's, but I have a pair of RCF 422's and I'd thoroughly recommend them. Fits your budget and your requirements perfectly. Lovely sound

I'd also recommend the QSC K12's as I demo'd these before I bought the RCF's, but the RCF's just had a nicer note to my ear (thanks to the 2" throat on the HF horn).

Julian
    http://www.bristoldiscohire.co.uk - Quality Disco and Equipment hire for Bristol & Bath
    Weddings, Birthday Parties, Kids Parties, School Disco's and more
    https://julianburr.co.uk - Wedding, Family, Portrait and Product Photography

I use a pair of QSC K12s. They will cost you approx £1500. I have used them for the past couple of months, it is only now that I am starting to appreciate how good they are. (it might be they need a bit of time to settle in).
    IMO the bass that these can put out is really good, and for me, perfect for small to medium venues.
    I was working last night, playing to 170 people and they coped pretty well, although for that amount, I could have done with a bass bin, but still pretty good.

I own EV's but have not used them yet. The EV 112's are going to be a little bit light weight for any serious numbers. Yes it has a 100w amp strapped to it, but the components on the main driver and compression driver are the same as the 112 passive, which produces 250w RMS and 1000 peak. So i would suspect you are looking at a 250w cab. Not that straight forward I know.
    I will eventually fire my system up and provide some feedback on the 115's.
    www.nkentertainment.co.uk
    The north wests premier wedding DJ and singer package. We will not be beaten on quality!
    www.michaelmooble.co.uk

I'll support the JBL corner on this one, I've got the PRX612M and they're an incredible sounding box. Only 15.6kg, wood construction, virtually flat across its frequency range and can belt out 134dB.

The general consensus on the interwebs is that all speakers in this price range are all fantastic speakers for the money. It's simply a case of what sounds best to you and/or what brand you have more confidence in.

I was torn between the K12's and the PRX612M's - opted for the JBL's as the QSC amps (although more flexible in terms of inputs) ran into their limiters earlier than the JBLs and were heavier (unusual for a plastic cab).

Key points for the JBL in comparison to the K12 and ELX112
    Louder (max SPL)
    Lighter
    Flatter frequency response (couldn't find any data for the K12)
    Lower frequency response at -3dB
    Wood construction rather than plastic of the K12
    Looks better! (in my opinion)

On the plus side, the K12's have a 6-year warranty compared to the 3-years of the JBL and EV.
    Last edited by mattydinx; 21-11-2011 at 08:49 AM. Reason: amended weight of speaker

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Jules View Post
    but I have a pair of RCF 422's and I'd thoroughly recommend them. Fits your budget and your requirements perfectly. Lovely sound
    +1 for the 422's love mine

+1 for the QSC K12s, these are amazing speakers.

I've just bought a pair of RCF Art 525a, as backup speakers. Lots of bass and great sound. You may get a pair second hand within your budget.

I've got the K12s and they're great plus lots of connectivity options on the back.

TBH, I wouldn't have sold the mackie's and saved the £1200, especially when you refuse to buy a decent mixer.