Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Disabled karaoke singers told 'no more'

Default Disabled karaoke singers told 'no more'

I just read this in a northampton paper

http://www.northamptonchron.co.uk/ne...ions_1_3269057
    long live lightboxes..........lots of em!!!

I read this yesterday, and as a karaoke jock as well I find it disgusting, So what if they cant sing, Have you seen the delight on their face when doing karaoke its priceless.

Quote Originally Posted by hammy View Post
    I read this yesterday, and as a karaoke jock as well I find it disgusting, So what if they cant sing, Have you seen the delight on their face when doing karaoke its priceless.
    Very unfortunate for these people--probably their highlight of the week---

All of which is why I never listen to ANY ONE singing karaoke myself---

This quote from the Newspaper sums it up--

“It is most definitely not about singing ability because karaoke is not about singing ability.”

So all a bit baffling to me---

Dare I suggest the filthy commodity MONEY has something to do with this---it usually does

Does this now mean I can't sing tomorrow then Hammy??!!

In also seriousness folks - this is an absolute

outrage
    Ralph @ Disco Magic
    www.disco-magic.co.uk
    www.toastmasterinsurrey.co.uk

"Creating Magical Memories and Exceptional Events"

There was a whole feature on this on Jeremy Vine's show yesterday.

Quote Originally Posted by DiscoMagic View Post
    Does this now mean I can't sing tomorrow then Hammy??!!

In also seriousness folks - this is an absolute

outrage
    Course ya can buddy as stated “It is most definitely not about singing ability because karaoke is not about singing ability.”

Having not heard them sing, and not knowing the full circumstances, it's difficult to form an opinion, but I actually suspect the landlord may be quite right.

Again, I don't know this, but I suspect that some of these disabled singers might have some form of Autism, such as Aspergers Syndrome. If that is the case, then they will struggle to interact on a social level, and are quite unaware of how they appear to others. Another aspect is an irrational and intense interest in certain subjects or activities, again unaware that others aren't as interested in that subject as they are.

So, a possible scenario is that they love to get up on the karaoke, have no idea how bad they sound, and will relentlessly put in requests to sing all night - including earlier on when it's quiet.

You might say, well what's wrong with that? Well I suppose it's an issue for the rest of the people in the pub, they won't want to listen to it. They are, after all, bringing the money into the pub, so surely the landlord has to keep them happy?

You might also say, well a drunk might get up and sound just as awful, but then the key difference is that it's OK to laugh at a drunk, whereas it's not OK to laugh at someone who is disabled, and quite possibly think that they actually sound really good.

So my point is that you can't just jump straight on to the discrimination bandwagon without looking at both sides of the argument.

I agree, Callum. People jump on the 'discrimination' bandwagon, and others are scared to say anything against that, but there are two sides to every story.

Just like children, many adults with learning disabilities do not know when to say enough is enough. God, I know that if my own niece went in to a pub that had karaoke on, you'd have to prise the microphone out of her hand, and that would be no mean feat seeing as she's got cerebral palsy, but I can also guarantee that there would be no-one else in the street - let alone the pub! However, the only profit from her to the pub would be that on a half a pint of Guinness.

I have seen it first hand at a karaoke where there were both children and people with downs syndrome present. During the early part of the evening, they completely monopolised the karaoke, and most other people left as a result. When they left at around 9pm (pub has a strict 'no kids after 9pm' policy), the pub was left almost empty. Fortunately, another couple of groups came in later to boost numbers a bit, but being a small pub in a residential area, there is no way that they could afford for this situation to come about week after week: they would make more money by cancelling the karaoke altogether.
    Last edited by Corabar Entertainment; 24-11-2011 at 07:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Corabar Entertainment View Post
    Just like children, many adults with learning disabilities do not know when to say enough is enough. God, I know that if my own niece went in to a pub that had karaoke on, you'd have to prise the microphone out of her hand, and that would be no mean feat seeing as she's got cerebral palsy, but I can also guarantee that there would be no-one else in the street - let alone the pub! However, the only profit from her to the pub would be that on a half a pint of Guinness.
    Fair point. On thing folks seem to forget is that pubs are run as businesses & as such put on entertainment as a means of getting people in & drinking, not as some sort of community service. They make their money from people buying drinks not enjoying themselves.

While I would be annoyed if Kerry was refused a go, I could understand why.
    Last edited by Corabar Steve; 24-11-2011 at 07:49 PM.
    Steve Mad, bad & dangerous to know www.corabar.co.uk
    Better to study for one hour with the wise, than to drink wine with the foolish.
    The opinions of Corabar Steve are not necessarily those of Corabar Entertainment, or any of its subsidiaries

Quote Originally Posted by BeerFunk View Post

So my point is that you can't just jump straight on to the discrimination bandwagon without looking at both sides of the argument.
    I totally agree. I saw this about a week ago on Facebook and everyone was saying how disgusting it was because it was a disabled (or what ever the correct term is) person and they were enjoying themselves.

The fact is, others should be able to enjoy themselves too and if this was spoiling it for the majority, then whether they were disabled or not, they would have to go.