Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Is your sound good enough.

Default Is your sound good enough.

Just wondering how much attention us djs pay to the sound of our setups.

The reason I ask is that a customer came up to me at the end of last nights gig and commented on how well the speakers coped with the bass. I ended the night with some club classics, finishing with the likes of Insomnia and Sandstorm.

Due to the fact that it was a relatively small venue and that I had to setup after the guests had eaten, and while the room was being cleared, I only used a pair of speakers on tripods.

I had a walk around the room and it all sounded fine, and was plenty loud enough on the dancefloor. My only worry was that I would be lacking a bit of bottom end, without bass cabs. Turns out it all sounded fine.

So my question is how much attention to you pay to how good your sound is, and what do you do, or have you done to improve it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]www.super-sonic.eu

The venue I was in last night is one that I regularly visit. The Disco is set up on the stage. I have used a number of different sound set ups in this venue because it is a medium to large venue.
    I have used JBL Full Range on their own (fine) and also with Bass Bins too (meatier sounding) and I have also used (as I did last night), the Mackies on stands and they were fine too.

Yes, sound is important obviously. I use different set ups in different venues. If I know a venue then I will take what has worked well before. Some venues in my area have large marquees so I either use my JBL's win Bass Bins or the Mackies with them to (as you say) fill out the sound a bit more.

The venue last night had 150 people in it (it could probably take 300+ easily enough) and the Mackies were fine. All I did differently was adjust the bass on the mixer and press the contour button the Mackies and it was plenty. I made a point (I try to do it at every gig) of going as far away from the set up as I could to see how it all sounded and it was fine.

i personally always want more, and when i get a better setup i always want more again. depends on the venue because some places the sound doesnt travel very well. sometimes i think my system sounds rubbish but when i go out to where the audience is it sounds great.

I pay load of attention to my sound and greatly improved since moving to rcf speakers..I use jbl eons for years and i have never looked back since changing to rcfs..I Have 4 Active rcf Tops and 4 rcf 905as bass speakers so i feel comfortable with any venue i do big or small..

I'm not surprised. Using all of that at once would provide some proper kick.
    I'm hoping to get some new subs in the new year which are compact enough that I will more than likely use them at most gigs I do.
    I agree that each venue differs (high ceilings, wooden venues, large venues with not many guests etc).

I always go along the lines of....as long as it's nice and crisp with enough volume on the dancefloor, I'm happy. I did a gig last year where I had my speakers on stands next to me as usual but also had another 2 on stand opposite me so the dancefloor was covered all angles. I must admit, it was a bit of overkill to be honest.

i did a marque christmas party on friday who insisted i didnt use my sub and insisted that i turn the base down as low as it would go later on when i wanted to get people dancing. They have had previous complaints from neighbours regarding another dj who is a close friend. I told them that its harder to get a nice sound if you have zero bass and less chance of people dancing but theydidnt seem to care. it had around 200 guests and the marque was 250ft long and about 60ft wide. they would only let me use 2 yamaha msr400 12" actives which i personally think are way underpowered for a marque of that size

Oh good heavens,Incoming!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by super-hero View Post
    So my question is how much attention to you pay to how good your sound is.
    The lights in some ways are an extra, but the sound is the core of your performance. Bad sound = bad performance.
    I'd say that all of us on here tend to monitor our sound quality with a fervour.

Quote Originally Posted by super-hero View Post
    and what do you do, or have you done to improve it.
    Well in my case:
    1) Finding some nice new friends in a Midlands town.
    2) When my beloved mixer died, I bought a Denon from a member on here. The quality increase was staggering.
    3) When using tops and subs, using an active crossover and second amp.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
    The lights in some ways are an extra, but the sound is the core of your performance. Bad sound = bad performance.
    I'd say that all of us on here tend to monitor our sound quality with a fervour.
    i could tend to agree with that,as a man with a modest sound system or two myself.
    www.mobiledjcumbria.co.uk

N.A.D.J Member

North East & Cumbria branch Founder member

I am always looking to get a better sound and will use different setups depending on the type of function and the venue.

Things that I have done to improve my sound over the last couple of years include getting rid of poor quality mp3's. I try to use WAV files where possible.
    This makes a big difference.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]www.super-sonic.eu

I'm obsessive. Had to play through a horrendous in house PA on Thirsday and spent the whole first hour tweaking...fortunately the floor was ticking over throughout...back to my own PA next which I much prefer but all the same...planning for an upgrade next year!