Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.

Thread: santas sleigh

Default santas sleigh

a friend of mine is a member of the rotary club he came round our estate collecting with santas sleigh being towed ,it is lit up bright with music being played youve probably seen them localy unless its just a manchester thing
    anyway to the point
    he got round the corner when disaster the generater on the back of the sleigh packed up (no lights or music) they could not restart the generater
    it got me thinking could you use a 12v cdplayer to play the music and also could you not change all the lights for led lighting and somehow plug the whole thing into the vehicle towing the slay either into the lighter or tow bar electrics thus getting rid of the generater a bit long winded i know but i have seen 5
    metre led strips in all colours on ebxx
    thanks Wayne

No reason why you shouldnt do that. Pleanty of pretty high powered car amps which sound great into a proper speaker cabinet. I know because I have one of my old 2 x 12 cabinets in the back of my galaxy as a bass bin and when I used to have my transit I used to plug the disco speakers into the car stereo. I figured if they were going everywhere with me I might as well make use of them

I think our local rotary club have come into some money recently.... saw the sleigh the other day and instead of a beat up old green land rover that they have used for as long as I can remember they had a shiny 57 reg transit hauling it. Still had the crappy Eagle horn speakers though. Looks good but sound pants

Yes and no. You are right the average vehicle can produceenough power to suitable light a lot of L.E.D lighting due to the small amperage involved. However when towing the revs may not be very high and it would depend on the output provided by the engines alternator at these revs. And also on the amount of lighting involved.

As for sound I would guess it relies more on what amplification is used to play the music. The greater the amplification the more power required. If twe are talking not very loud then probably it should be fine. But if we are talking enough to be heard over other floats with a noisy audience and the sound of the vehicle towing as well I would say probably not as clear cut.

You could use several deep cycle batteries to provide power if you know anyone that may have some for their caravan for example. And have them pre charged for the event. Either that or I am afraid a generator would be best although depending on generator as well.
    When the world ends , ill probably have to clean up the mess.

thanks for the quick responses ill have to look more into it i cant see why they cant play the music full blast in the vehicle towing the sleigh

Quote Originally Posted by spin mobile disco View Post
    Yes and no. You are right the average vehicle can produceenough power to suitable light a lot of L.E.D lighting due to the small amperage involved. However when towing the revs may not be very high and it would depend on the output provided by the engines alternator at these revs. And also on the amount of lighting involved.

As for sound I would guess it relies more on what amplification is used to play the music. The greater the amplification the more power required. If twe are talking not very loud then probably it should be fine. But if we are talking enough to be heard over other floats with a noisy audience and the sound of the vehicle towing as well I would say probably not as clear cut.

You could use several deep cycle batteries to provide power if you know anyone that may have some for their caravan for example. And have them pre charged for the event. Either that or I am afraid a generator would be best although depending on generator as well.
    Or an inverter ?
    Silverline 2000W Inverter: Amazon.co.uk: DIY...Silverline 2000W Inverter: Amazon.co.uk: DIY...
    The Keyboard is mightier than the Sword ?
    Occasions Of Excellence For One & All In Cornwall

Quote Originally Posted by Kernow View Post
    Or an inverter ?
    Simple. I like simple.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
    Simple. I like simple.
    I you too
    The Keyboard is mightier than the Sword ?
    Occasions Of Excellence For One & All In Cornwall