Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Stupidity in the first degree

Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
    I don't have the answers, I'm just posing the questions.
    ( I still wouldn't bet against the poor old DJ getting an unfair share of the blame though, it's the nature of the beast. )
    I really can't see how the DJ would. It's not the DJs floor or venue, so therefore they aren't responsible.

If a scanner fell on someone's head, then they dropped their glass and trod on it, then maybe.

Quote Originally Posted by Solitaire Entertainments Ltd View Post
    Strange isn't it? It appears to only be the last couple of years that people 'have' to dance with a bottle or glass. I don't really get it. I used to drink and then dance and then go and get another drink.
    I wonder if one factor is the increase in drinks being spiked and venues removing unattended drinks therefore punters are hanging onto them wherever they go including the dance floor.

Quote Originally Posted by katman View Post
    I wonder if one factor is the increase in drinks being spiked and venues removing unattended drinks therefore punters are hanging onto them wherever they go including the dance floor.
    Certainly women are given the advice from all quarters these days: "Never put your drink down or leave unattended!"

Quote Originally Posted by Solitaire Entertainments Ltd View Post
    So last night I was DJing for Reading University students at one of my regular Hotels and playing the Macarena and there was a girl right at the front trying to do the Macarena with a glass of red wine in her hand.

There wasn't a lot of room anywhere, so I asked her to put her glass down to which she promptly came over and leant over the S&H and poured wine down the front of my laptop.

It was only a small amount and I'm hoping it hasn't caused any lasting damage and of course she didn't apologise, her boyfriend just stood there and starting asking me for requests, to which I ignored and told him rather menacingly to go and get me a cloth, which he did..

Earlier in the evening, they were all dancing with wine glasses on the floor, so I asked them to put their drinks on tables and I cleared the floor!!!!
    You did well to restrain yourself Darren.

Dont try this at your next Disco guys and you need a lot of bottle to do this

BUT

When I start Barn or Line Dancing and spot the growing number of the usual idiots with a drink I say the following very loudly over the PA--

Sorry no dancing with drinks --for two reasons

1. Health and safety

2. YOU LOOK REALLY SAD DANCING WITH A DRINK!!!!!!

Nobodys hit me yet. Mind you mostly its the Ladeeez.

On a serious note you might find this slipping into your risk assessment--and could you be accused of an inadequate system of work if you dont?

Dissuade Dancers from Dancing with drinks in hand--alert Venue Management

Its probably a bigger H and S issue than we are admitting.

I agree Dancing with drinks is--- lethal.

Just my view.

Quote Originally Posted by DeckstarDeluxe View Post
    I find it strange that other people reply with a threat to drunk punters, if its one thing I always do is remain calm even though you repeating yourself.
    never ever threaten them leave them to do that amongst each other, always remain calm but firm, never talk down to them either as this just annoys them. in other words be diplomatic and before you know it they'll be agreeing with you. whats more they'll make sure noboddy else approaches with glasses in hand

A couple of ideas here, and not especially new ones - mind you, the problem of drinks isnt a new one either.

For larger flat surfaces, like the top of bass cabs etc, I've used pieces of acoustic foam - you know the stuff that they tile recording studios with. With all those soft, foam rubber pyramids everywhere...there's nowhere for a punter to put a drink. If your bass cabs are the type with the pole going up out of them for the mid/tops/full range cab, then just cut a hole in the middle of the pyramid foam to keep it centred, or use velcro fastening.

Similarly, in Ye olde days of light screens, which also used to be a favoured place for drinks, lit cigarette butts etc...inverted plastic halfpipe (guttering) meant that there was no flat surface for drinks etc too. But cut-to-shape foam (cut in an A shape) had the same benefits, with a little more style.

As for the "I'll tip beer in your lappy/speaker/amp" - I've often found the "best mate" confiding chat a really good ploy in most cases, except when they've already decided that they ARE going to do it in 5 seconds anyway, but just wanted to involve you to see your face/reaction as they did it.

Here's my "perfect" script....mind you, I'd be the first to acknowledge that people + alcohol are rarely perfect.

Drunk punter: "I'm gunna break zomething of yours 'less you play something better than thish rubbishhhh"

Me: "Ok, what song would you most like to hear ?"

Drink punter: "Sweed chil' o' mine - "

Me: "Thats an excellent track -it'll take me a couple of minutes to get it ready - I'll dedicate it to you when I play it - whats your name and do you want me to dedicate it to anyone?".

Drunk punter: "I'm Phil and play it for all us lads from XYZ Builders warehouse"

Ok...the whole speil is aimed to get the guys name - if he gives you anything more (like XyZ builders) then, bingo... any damage that does happen, at least you can say more to "the powers that be" than just that the guy that ruined everyones night had dark hair, a t-shirt and jeans, and was drunk.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary View Post
    As for the "I'll tip beer in your lappy/speaker/amp" - I've often found the "best mate" confiding chat a really good ploy in most cases, except when they've already decided that they ARE going to do it in 5 seconds anyway, but just wanted to involve you to see your face/reaction as they did it.

Here's my "perfect" script....mind you, I'd be the first to acknowledge that people + alcohol are rarely perfect.

Drunk punter: "I'm gunna break zomething of yours 'less you play something better than thish rubbishhhh"

Me: "Ok, what song would you most like to hear ?"

Drink punter: "Sweed chil' o' mine - "

Me: "Thats an excellent track -it'll take me a couple of minutes to get it ready - I'll dedicate it to you when I play it - whats your name and do you want me to dedicate it to anyone?".

Drunk punter: "I'm Phil and play it for all us lads from XYZ Builders warehouse"

Ok...the whole speil is aimed to get the guys name - if he gives you anything more (like XyZ builders) then, bingo... any damage that does happen, at least you can say more to "the powers that be" than just that the guy that ruined everyones night had dark hair, a t-shirt and jeans, and was drunk.
    .... Or you can move them and their drink out of range of your laptop and find out what they want ....??

Only had one situation with a drink being held over equipement which i must say moved quite quickly (nice pressure point on the wrist) to which resolved on him sitting down the rest of the night, he had ALOT to drink tho by the time i started and was well "sloshed" the only ever other time was a few weeks ago when i was attending one of Jon's gigs and a couple of guys decided to lean all over the micro booth to which myself and Jon reacted quickly and i think they got the hint
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Booche View Post
    (nice pressure point on the wrist)
    LOL! Sounds slightly aggressive?

Quote Originally Posted by Booche View Post
    Only had one situation with a drink being held over equipement which i must say moved quite quickly (nice pressure point on the wrist)
    how did you apply that effectively without spilling the drink?