Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Speakers?

Default Speakers?

Hi all,

Hope your all ok,

I am now ready to proceed to buy a pair of passive speakers. I was looking at two tops and one bass for the time being then next year add another bass speaker.

I have spoken to some djs and they have recommend EV the tops are: EV ELX115 and the bass speaker is: ELX118.

I would like to know whether Ev are any good or not and are there any other makes which are better then the ones I've chosen

Thanks,

Matt.

Top (x2.)

Links: http://www.theaudioworksuk.com/index...udspeaker.html

Bass.

http://www.theaudioworksuk.com/index...subwoofer.html

App.

http://www.theaudioworksuk.com/index...amplifier.html

Ps: I might get a Crown XTI 4002 amp.

Why not make things easier for you and your mum and buy some Mackies?

Amp's built in and all you have to do is connect the speaker to your mixer. Less to carry, quicker setup time - everyone's happy!

Are they any good? Yes

Are there better? Potentially. It depends upon your needs and what you are looking for.

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Brown View Post
    Why not make things easier for you and your mum and buy some Mackies?

Amp's built in and all you have to do is connect the speaker to your mixer. Less to carry, quicker setup time - everyone's happy!
    Don't like Mackies.

Quote Originally Posted by dh140770 View Post
    Are they any good? Yes

Are there better? Potentially. It depends upon your needs and what you are looking for.
    Well enough to do 250 people max now and then also a general all rounder

What eles do you need?
    Last edited by Excalibur; 14-12-2011 at 09:29 PM.

If you really want good 15" passive tops then Tannoy V15 dual concentric 400w rms are brilliant I have had a pair for 13 years now and no probs at all. There are some on Gumtree http://www.gumtree.com/p/for-sale/ta...akers/91038499 and even though they are £800 2nd hand they are well worth it. They are theatre quality brilliant bass and crystal top end .
    Used with Tannoy T40 15" sub or even 2 of as I do they are great.

I am using 2 V15 and 2 T40 with 2 B475 18" subs on Friday at a college Xmas disco. I am not sure if I will take my RCF 725's as they really don't compare with the quality and performance of the Tannoys

I look forward to putting pics on her as well as other forums of the gig.
    Last edited by chrisj; 14-12-2011 at 08:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Meltmusicdj View Post
    Don't like Mackies.
    RCF's?

Paul Pearts 10'inch were didy but so loud with a sub! Really impressive. There are lots of other active alternatives.

RCF's?

Paul Pearts 10'inch were didy but so loud with a sub! Really impressive. There are lots of other active alternatives.
    Ya there ok, but IMO RCF are way over priced but I don't mind that. but a lot of djs say they have gone down hill in the last 1yr? With the Mackie company making them know and changed location to the USA.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisj View Post
    If you really want good 15" passive tops then Tannoy V15 dual concentric 400w rms are brilliant I have had a pair for 13 years now and no probs at all. There are some on Gumtree http://www.gumtree.com/p/for-sale/ta...akers/91038499 and even though they are £800 2nd hand they are well worth it. They are theatre quality brilliant bass and crystal top end .
    Used with Tannoy T40 15" sub or even 2 of as I do they are great.

I am using 2 V15 and 2 T40 with 2 B475 18" subs on Friday at a college Xmas disco. I am not sure if I will take my RCF 725's as they really don't compare with the quality and performance of the Tannoys

I look forward to putting pics on her as well as other forums of the gig.

Never really heard of them are they good?
    Last edited by Excalibur; 14-12-2011 at 09:30 PM.

Ya there ok, but IMO RCF are way over priced but I don't mind that. but a lot of djs say they have gone down hill in the last 1yr? With the Mackie company making them know and changed location to the USA.
    Rubbish.

The quality of Mackie's hasn't gone down hill but got better. The V2's don't overheat and handle bass a little better than the V1's.

Well enough to do 250 people max now and then also a general all rounder

What eles do you need?
    I'd say as a very minimum you need to listen to any of these speakers with they type of music that you play and then work within the constraints that you have whether this is budget, space etc

I had been looking for RCF for a while, having heard good things about the brand and there seem to be a large number of DJ's using them. You can read the internet all day and find both positive and negative reviews of any product that you will buy. There is no such thing as the perfect product.

I went to BPM to look at RCF and get a listen and i was pleased that there was a PA Demo of different brands there. Some brands that looked good on paper didn't suit my ears at all and some that were more marginal were different in terms of size and budget.

I picked out RCF, JBL and EV having a sound that I liked. Db Technologies which always looked good on paper was surprisingly harsh to my ears and I wanted something that was nice for extended listening. I was actually really surprised at the difference between the RCF and DB Tech as the RCF was so much more laid back whilst being loud. I think however this would depend on the model you choose of course as they have different horn setups.
    The JBL and EV subs were huge compared to the RCF and having already struggled with RCF subs in the past as a single man lift. RCF, also have the zip covers which the forum love me to leave on at a gig. I decided that RCF was for me and went for it.

They are Active, so no amps to haul around. Are they perfect? Probably not, but they will hopefully do a great job for a long time. Only time will tell.

You need to listen and then make a practical choice for you based on your situation

RCF's?

PS. I have the RCF 710s. 11kgs. You just carry one each hand into the venue.

As I say you will find good and bad reviews on anything.

As I understand Mackie was formed out of ex-RCF employees but gradually started sourcing and manufacturing in the far east. By all accounts they have raised their game with the SRM450V2. Personally I still have a pair of V1's for sale. They are good speakers, never really let me down but personally I didn't get on with the sound.
    Last edited by WWDJ; 14-12-2011 at 09:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dh140770 View Post
    I'd say as a very minimum you need to listen to any of these speakers with they type of music that you play and then work within the constraints that you have whether this is budget, space etc

I had been looking for RCF for a while, having heard good things about the brand and there seem to be a large number of DJ's using them. You can read the internet all day and find both positive and negative reviews of any product that you will buy. There is no such thing as the perfect product.

I went to BPM to look at RCF and get a listen and i was pleased that there was a PA Demo of different brands there. Some brands that looked good on paper didn't suit my ears at all and some that were more marginal were different in terms of size and budget.

I picked out RCF, JBL and EV having a sound that I liked. Db Technologies which always looked good on paper was surprisingly harsh to my ears and I wanted something that was nice for extended listening. I was actually really surprised at the difference between the RCF and DB Tech as the RCF was so much more laid back whilst being loud. I think however this would depend on the model you choose of course as they have different horn setups.
    The JBL and EV subs were huge compared to the RCF and having already struggled with RCF subs in the past as a single man lift. RCF, also have the zip covers which the forum love me to leave on at a gig. I decided that RCF was for me and went for it.

They are Active, so no amps to haul around. Are they perfect? Probably not, but they will hopefully do a great job for a long time. Only time will tell.

You need to listen and then make a practical choice for you based on your situation

PS. I have the RCF 710s. 11kgs. You just carry one each hand into the venue.

As I say you will find good and bad reviews on anything.

As I understand Mackie was formed out of ex-RCF employees but gradually started sourcing and manufacturing in the far east. By all accounts they have raised their game with the SRM450V2. Personally I still have a pair of V1's for sale. They are good speakers, never really let me down but personally I didn't get on with the sound.
    Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!

What did you think about the EV speakers I think its between the RCF and EV more maybe.
    Last edited by Matty12; 14-12-2011 at 09:25 PM.