Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: laptop help needed.

Quote Originally Posted by Twinspin View Post
    Ive had music videos running on my other Vaio for just over 3 hours and its not crashed once... The laptop with the ATI Radeon in.
    Some of the crashes could be down to the plug ins. The Scrolltext plug in you mentioned seems to work fine for me at home, when there is less demand on the laptop, but in a gig situ, it gets a little blocky. Sonique can be similar, especially if you try and get it to do too many things at once.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryu View Post
    Some of the crashes could be down to the plug ins. The Scrolltext plug in you mentioned seems to work fine for me at home, when there is less demand on the laptop, but in a gig situ, it gets a little blocky. Sonique can be similar, especially if you try and get it to do too many things at once.
    This could be a good point. Thinking back, when I started doing the vids, I had a problem with the graphics crashing once and that was to do with the Camera plug-in. I'd set the camera plug-in under the "use this plug-in for audio-only files" so that the camera would come on automatically when the videos ended. However, my laptop didn't like this and the graphics output crashed. Strangely, I've had no such problems starting the plug-in manually.
    Dazzy D
    Lightning Disco & Entertainment

Born to make you party!

Hi Everyone i thought id come back on and share with you an update.

I tried running video through a VGA and still got the same problems of some video freezing / cutting out.

So ive decided to give Sony a call today and i had a word with their technical support. The first driver i installed i got it from the NVIDIA website and made sure it was the latest driver. So i told the engineer what actions i took to try and fix the problem.

Now their engineer said instead of getting the driver from NVIDIA's website. Go onto the Sony Vaio technical support website and download their latest NVIDIA driver. According to Sony they have worked with NVIDIA to create a modified driver for their laptops.

So ive followed the instructions given to me. I have tried running videos yet again on the Vaio and this time there hasnt been any sign of crashing after running it for just over three hours with SBDJ scrolltext running as well

At the moment id say im 70% satisfied. If i can run this for 6 hours round about the length of an average gig without problems. I will be fully satisfied.

This is generally one of 2 things.

If your laptop is very high resolution you must run the VDJ in a window NOT full screen.
    We have had this as a problem on an Alienware Laptop.

If that does not fix the issue - there is a little known conflict with windows 7 and a program called aero. It's what makes the transparent edges around your windows. Right click on the desktop click personalise and change the theme settings to basic. Aero is now disabled and should work without any more freezing or crashes.

You can thank me later!
    If you can't convince them, confuse them

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Veal View Post
    This is generally one of 2 things.

If your laptop is very high resolution you must run the VDJ in a window NOT full screen.
    We have had this as a problem on an Alienware Laptop.

If that does not fix the issue - there is a little known conflict with windows 7 and a program called aero. It's what makes the transparent edges around your windows. Right click on the desktop click personalise and change the theme settings to basic. Aero is now disabled and should work without any more freezing or crashes.

You can thank me later!
    And I'll thank Richard now!! Thanks!! Good advice and it worked a treat!

Let me explain. Richard PM'd me this information a couple of weeks ago following a thread whereby I'd mentioned I'd experienced "window ghosting" whereby if you opened an Explorer (not IE!) window whilst using VDJ, sometimes when you try to close the window using the "X" in the top right corner, the window simply wouldn't close. Windows would think it has been closed and carry on working but the window would remain on the screen. This meant you couldn't activate the VDJ screen underneath the window and had to resort to closing the window with Task Manager. Sounds simple enough but if you do this whilst running VDJ, Windows also knocks out VDJ's video input meaning if you are running karaoke or videos, they will go off.

I've followed Richard's advice and turned off Windows Aero (which is actually Win-Vista and Win-7s "enhanced graphical experience" - it does a lot more than make the edges of windows transparent!! ). I've now had a couple of weeks of intense trialling and a couple of gigs whereby this glitch hasn't happened now so things are looking good.

Richard, I had meant to thank you for the advice by PM but looks like I haven't done so so please accept this as a public thanks!!
    Dazzy D
    Lightning Disco & Entertainment

Born to make you party!

Only just come across this post (I've not been on here for quite a while). I've had similar problems in the past, and Aero is one of the main causes, especially on extended desktop.

One other thing that is worth checking is the format and codec used to rip video's with. There are many, many different video formats out there, and many audio codecs to go with them, but the best I've come across is MPEG-2 with 44KHz audio.

If you do come across any more crashes, it might be worth checking the video's format and codec
    Entertaining Sussex for 20 years, and still loving every minute of it! http://www.sussexparties.co.uk

Had the laptop running again tonight doing videos at a wedding and the laptop has worked fine all night. No problems what so ever.

Personally I think it's a glitch with vdj, I to suspected it was the computer but now I am sure it's not as I have tried several different laptops all high specs, with nothing on them except the basic o/s and this always happens, the users who say it doesn't happen to them, probably are not playing as many videos as you and I and are doing say a few here and there, in between audio tracks.

I suspect your problem can be fixed by not restarting vdj, but by pressing control - alt - delete, let the screen pop up then hit cancle, now vdj will probably respond again, but you will have a white screen, go into config->video-> and check and uncheck video output (activate) you may need to ok that screen and then go back and check, uncheck and check again. The music will keep playing normally and the video will then come back. So you only have a white screen for a few moments if you notice quickly enough, we always have a monitor so we always no whats displayed to the audience.

You should be able to do a 4-5 hour video gig without restarting vdj but you will most likely have to do the above 1 or several times.

Hopefully the next version of VDJ fixes this.

If anyone has a laptop that they are able to do a 4-5 hour none stop video gig with and have done this more than a couple of times, I would be very interested to know the make model and spec.

Give this method a try twinspin let me know how you get on.

Use video for all my show now (well 95%) and have no issue with VJ at all.
    I run both a OOVJ & OODJ neither lets me down!

I use a sony Vaio (not sure of the model off the top of my head as it was a custom build) i know it's an i7 processor and has 1gb dedicated video memory. Runs 100% video gigs for 5-6 hours at a time with no problems. The only slight issue is occasionally the video preview window (but not the output video or audio) will freeze for 15 seconds when a track is loaded onto the other deck. When I do a Video disco, I do just that, every track played is a video
    Craig Algar - Sheffield Wedding DJ
    Professional Wedding DJ & Moodlighting Services in Yorkshire
    www.sheffieldweddingdj.co.uk