Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.

Thread: Funk 10pm to 3am NYE?

Default Funk 10pm to 3am NYE?

Hi all, I am playing at a local venue fairly upmarket, the manager is quite insistent all he wants is soul_funk! He was very keen to show me his own playlists off spotify... Do you suggest I just go for that all evening, or really try to convince him I think the crowd will want a bit more than that from midnight? Your views much appreciated!
    Last edited by Corabar Entertainment; 28-12-2011 at 09:20 PM.

Have you asked him why he wants to stick to that, and have you been told to refuse requests, or instructed what to do when requests outside of that genre are received?

Another venue manager that seems to be a frustrated dj, let the audience decide on the music. after all without them no money goes over the bar and without money there is no job

Quote Originally Posted by tony hollis View Post
    Another venue manager that seems to be a frustrated dj, let the audience decide on the music. after all without them no money goes over the bar and without money there is no job
    I agree. Having an input in the music selection is one thing but it really should all be down to the DJ on the night as to what will work.
    Larry Basham

Can you play something with a beat ?

...But ignoring the clients instructions without even having a clue why they've made that request is not the way to go!

For all you know, the client has advertised the event as such, ans neither he or the guests would be too happy if they walked in to YMCA!

Thanks guys, all very valid points! Taken on board, much appreciated. I think the biggest issue is its music he likes!, and ....complements the type of venue ordinarily, but I think he may be misreading the audience after midnight, so will have to have a chat with him about it.....
    Last edited by Corabar Entertainment; 06-01-2012 at 09:49 PM.

even if it's advertised as a funk night it's the punters who dictate a playlist during the course of the night. Angela shame on you the ymca was very funky in the day hahaha

even if it's advertised as a funk night it's the punters who dictate a playlist during the course of the night.
    So if you were booked to do a reggae night and a punter came up and asked for The Birdie Song, you'd oblidge, would you? There are many venues out there where the punters do not dictate the music... it's a case of it being the other way round: the venue dictates the music to attract a particular group of punters, and exploit a niche of the market!
    Angela shame on you the ymca was very funky in the day hahaha

Quote Originally Posted by HeartandSoul View Post
    Thanks guys, all very valid points! Taken on board, much appreciated. I think the biggest issue is its music he likes!, and ....complements the type of venue ordinarily, but I think he may be misreading the audience after midnight, so will have to have a chat with him about it.....
    That's the best advice anyone can give you - ie have a chat with him and see if you have any leeway so that you can adapt as necessary on the night without offending your client.

I didn't quite mean like that, if it's advertised as a soul funk or any other night then you will attract those punters that want that music, but they will also know which funk or soul songs they want to hear. like many of us here we can read a crowd and we all know that when a club owner gives you a playlist it can work against the whole night. and yep I had the unfortunate pleasure of owning a club and a bar with a manager that tried to dictate to the audience. great for setting the clock by which song was playing. if it's labelled as a themed night it can be a great night........... anyway everyone have a great weekend and enjoy your new year