Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mackie SRM 450 black paint

Default Mackie SRM 450 black paint

Hello,

I am going to be ordering a Mackie SRM 1801 active sub woofer next week to use as a sub for my Mackie SRM 450 tops for medium to large venues.

The sub is going to be black and the tops are a grey/blue colour.

Does anyone know where I can get any black paint to spray my tops the same colour so it all matches?

Thanks,

Tom.

You can buy Plasti Kote paint almost anywhere (Wilko's, B&Q etc) but I'd think carefully about it if I was you. I've used it on non disco stuff. It will peel. It will scratch. It might not be fire resistant. Eventually it will look awful and your speakers will be worth a lot less when you come to sell them.

I doubt that anyone would be interested in the black and blue contrast. If you were really concerned you could put the sub to one side and just have speakers on stands as normal.

Quote Originally Posted by paulg View Post
    You can buy Plasti Kote paint almost anywhere (Wilko's, B&Q etc) but I'd think carefully about it if I was you. I've used it on non disco stuff. It will peel. It will scratch. It might not be fire resistant. Eventually it will look awful and your speakers will be worth a lot less when you come to sell them.

I doubt that anyone would be interested in the black and blue contrast. If you were really concerned you could put the sub to one side and just have speakers on stands as normal.
    I am going to put one sub under my Deckstand Booth Pro v2 when it arrives next week, and then I will eventually order another sub for large venues and pole mount them together with tops, but I don't want to have black subs, and blue/grey tops.

I don't want to have to sell the current ones I've got just to buy black V2's, where I can just spray paint the ones I have got.

Quote Originally Posted by DynamoTom View Post
    I don't want to have to sell the current ones I've got just to buy black V2's, where I can just spray paint the ones I have got.
    Personally I'd just live with it, you're the only person who is going to notice, and if you get the paint job wrong it's going to look a lot worse.

Tom - listen to what Paul has said. No paint will stay put on plastic long term. It will look fine when you do it, but it will peel and flake off after a short amount of time.

Quote Originally Posted by funkymook View Post
    Personally I'd just live with it, you're the only person who is going to notice, and if you get the paint job wrong it's going to look a lot worse.
    Quote Originally Posted by Corabar Entertainment View Post
    Tom - listen to what Paul has said. No paint will stay put on plastic long term. It will look fine when you do it, but it will peel and flake off after a short amount of time.
    Totally agree. This is non-starter.

Absolutely agree - don't even try and paint ABS speakers, it won't stick.

To offer a bit of perspective, I went to a holiday club over the summer where they were using Blue/Grey SRM450's over the subs and I had to walk up to the stage to work out if the 450's being used were the V1 or V2 models due to typical poor venue lighting.

So... no-one is going to notice in your average gig, not even those people who are actually looking for the colour will be able to see it unless they stand up and walk over to your rig!

Leave it alone, you will completely screw the second hand value of the speakers and you risk breaking them in the process (I'm pretty sure Plasti-kote won't do the cones or the diaphragm any good either!!)

Julian
    http://www.bristoldiscohire.co.uk - Quality Disco and Equipment hire for Bristol & Bath
    Weddings, Birthday Parties, Kids Parties, School Disco's and more
    https://julianburr.co.uk - Wedding, Family, Portrait and Product Photography

The SRM1801 are not good for the money . You can buy the thumps they are the same.

Alot of people have told me not to touch them.

Quote Originally Posted by Disco Dave View Post
    The SRM1801 are not good for the money . You can buy the thumps they are the same.

Alot of people have told me not to touch them.

That isn't what this thread is about. Please keep threads on topic. Thank you.

Sorry. I would not paint the ABS. I think you can get undercoat then paint them.