Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Campervan holiday

Default Campervan holiday

Has anyone done a camper van holiday in the EU, If so was it worth the money and can you recommend a supplier for the hire.

Quote Originally Posted by hammy View Post
    Has anyone done a camper van holiday in the EU, If so was it worth the money and can you recommend a supplier for the hire.
    When I saw this I had to laugh and thought things where bad with Graham and money but this is ridiculous.

Graham and camper van don't mix

Seriously though, Done caravanning and camping down the south of France and also Spain (if you can handle the LOOOOONNNGGG drive down there)
    If you do decide to go to Spain, stay away from the tourist traps as there's a very large proportion of Moroccans who have been known to rob caravans by injecting sleeping gas into the van.

Try to hitch up in the villages and try and learn some of the language as well (you get more credit than just saying "do you speak English").

With regards Hire, be careful as some Motorhome rental companies sting you with massive deposits and you have to jump through hoops as well.
    (After all these vans aren't cheap and they want to protect there investment.)

If you need any more info Graham, give us a shout.
    Last edited by Get Me A DJ; 10-01-2012 at 04:40 PM.
    If I'm talking to much, tell me to shut up!!

The views expressed by this member are solely his own and are not connected with the company he is representing.

I know about the gases as I used to drive all over europe in an artic lorry. Its a campervan we want not a caravan. And yes I have seen deposits at £750 but not a problem as they take an imprint of your CC.

To cut a long story short, We are booked to go to Cape Verdi Islands in april but yet again I had a big bust up with the travel company, We paid a big deposit and booked a big room (2 adults 2, 8 year olds).

Spoke to them today and got told they have downgraded our room to a smaller one but the price stays the same. So I dont care about the deposit (As Darren says "more money than sense") And we cant think of anything to do so its a camper van all the way, Doing the 1st world war battlefields and also the peace museum in Caen, Pegasus bridge and the first cafe to be liberated, Bayeux Tapestry and a couple of days in Disney. Then coming back and parking up outside Darrens house so he can teach me dmx

While I have not done it personally, I know someone who has.

General view......... it's not recommended, for the following reasons......

1. Fuel costs... far less mpg from most motorhomes
    2. Ferry / Eurotunnel costs, due to the greater height
    3. Campsite costs
    4. Security issues
    5. Mobility... you have to pack up the motorhome every time you want to go to town.

A far cheaper alternative (but not in really bad weather) is to simply buy a tent and sling it in your car. You get more space, spend less on fuel, and your tent stays on site while you drive to the beach.

Alternatively, if you are going out of peak season, why not book some hotels on line?

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Spin View Post
    A far cheaper alternative (but not in really bad weather) is to simply buy a tent and sling it in your car. You get more space, spend less on fuel, and your tent stays on site while you drive to the beach.

Alternatively, if you are going out of peak season, why not book some hotels on line?
    Is also being considered.

......booked a big room (2 adults 2, 8 year olds).

Spoke to them today and got told they have downgraded our room to a smaller one ..............
    2 adults and 2 8 year old's will be a heck of a squeeze in a camper van!

Maybe you could speak to the travel agent tomorrow and get the room upgraded? Failing that you should be able to get the deposit back on the grounds that the accommodation was mis-sold.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Spin View Post
    2 adults and 2 8 year old's will be a heck of a squeeze in a camper van!

Maybe you could speak to the travel agent tomorrow and get the room upgraded?
    We are talking the 6 birth ones. I tried the upgrade £1000 was the charge.

I know about the gases as I used to drive all over europe in an artic lorry. Its a campervan we want not a caravan. And yes I have seen deposits at £750 but not a problem as they take an imprint of your CC.

To cut a long story short, We are booked to go to Cape Verdi Islands in april but yet again I had a big bust up with the travel company, We paid a big deposit and booked a big room (2 adults 2, 8 year olds).

Spoke to them today and got told they have downgraded our room to a smaller one but the price stays the same. So I dont care about the deposit (As Darren says "more money than sense") And we cant think of anything to do so its a camper van all the way, Doing the 1st world war battlefields and also the peace museum in Caen, Pegasus bridge and the first cafe to be liberated, Bayeux Tapestry and a couple of days in Disney. Then coming back and parking up outside Darrens house so he can teach me dmx
    Yay....

We have done the battlefields and all the other touristy bits and it's really worth doing - even the kids found it interesting and I found it a pleasure to drive as there are not many cars on the road and the roads are exceptionally good. Get a sat nav - that also helps tremendously. We stayed in a couple of cheap Hotels though and did day trips.

Daz, Did you book the hotels or just found them on the way??.

I have done the battlefield tours in my days of a coach driver which is why I want to take the family as I know they would enjoy them.

Daz, Did you book the hotels or just found them on the way??.
    Pre-booked. I think the first time we went we got a price for ferry and Hotel.