Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bose L1 Question

An interesting thing is, I myself have two conflicting views, or at least "observations" about the Bose (remember I'm using the T1 Tonematch).

For up to 200 people (roughly) I'll use 1 x L1 Model 2, a pair of B1 Bass cabs, and the T1 controller.

At a venue I was at last October (5 storey hotel) with the function room on ground floor (thankfully), I had reports about an hour into the dancey part of the night from a staff member, that guests on the 3rd floor would like the bass turned down. Now bearing in mind that the Bose B1 cabs are "only" (cough cough) 2 x 6.5inch woofers, and the two cabs weren't even "acoustically coupled" which would have given about an extra 3db, thats pretty impressive. I've encountered this before, so instead of rotating any bass or volume controls anticlockwise on mixer or tonematch, instead I adjusted the Tonematch settings and applied a 50hz pass filter, so that nothing (more or less) under 50hz would get produced. I checked with the staff a half hour later, they checked with the original complainant and ...problem solved. (my next step would have been to set up an 80hz pass filter instead, had the problem still been current).

So...my observation above...Bose = Plenty of bass.

But, observation 2...In a function room, there's plenty of bass on the dancefloor and surrounding area, but...If I'm set up in a typical rectangular function room with the stage/dancefoor at one end, and seating/bars reaching off toward the opposite end of the room, the bass tails off as I walk toward the back of the room as I pass the halfway point. The bass doesnt disappear completely, or make the top/mid sound a solo act, the bass just becomes less dominant, has less energy, is less intrusive.

Now bearing in mind, at multi-age group bookings, if you're there for the "coming in, sitting down" part of the evening - its common enough to overhear people coming into the function area looking at the sea of tables and asking each other "Where would you like to sit?", a common reply is "As far away from that noise as possible" (this will be taking place while you're running about 50watts by the way...of course) - they tend to either head toward the furthest, darkest corner (or in total cliche, are often reported to take up postion at the table nearest the dancefloor...)

I've now included this phenomina as a "Plus" in my wedding and party literature. A viable plus for those potential customers that suspect, when they (are made to :-) ) think about it, that they may have guests at their function who want to talk, who want to catch up on old times, without being blasted, star shaped halfway up the back wall of the venue by "boom boom boom".

Strong bass where you need it, on the dancefloor, but controlable via T1 filters for certain constructions of venue, and less "stray bass", and an utter positive thing to mention for future clients who are looking for a reason to book you instead of him, him, her, or him. Works for me.
    Last edited by Gary; 17-01-2012 at 11:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary View Post
    That has to be the worst acronym ever.... the letters dont even match.

given your comments about having to turn it down it should have been...

BOSE = Bass...oops surplus energy

I noticed over Christmas the bass in the toilets at Rookery Hall where I did a lot of varying work. The toilets are a fair way from the function room and one evening when using 2 x Turbo Sound double 18 cabs I could only hear a bass rumble in the toilet and when I rested my hand on the wall I could feel the bass. Another night using a pair of 905 bins was pretty much the same story but another night when using 4 B1s I couldn't hear anything in the toilet and couldn't feel the wall flex either. No doubt the Bose does produce a surprisingly good bass for 8 little speakers but its a different kind of bass than a larger cone produces.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Goodtimes View Post
    No doubt the Bose does produce a surprisingly good bass for 8 little speakers but its a different kind of bass than a larger cone produces.
    It could be that the Bose doesnt produce as much rumbley sub bass below the range of audibility but does produce the nice punchy bass that you can hear.

The way bass propogates though various substrates is very strange. A few months ago I was sitting in the lounge and hearing a thump, thump, thump which was annoying the hell out of me becuase it was interfering with my TV viewing and it was quite late so I couldnt turn the TV up without annoying the neighbours. I went outside to see where it was coming from and could barely hear it. Walked around the block and found it was a neighbour several doors down ont eh opposite side of the street, maybe 50 metres away. Again barely audible outside their house but was travelling through the ground and coming up in my front room !!!

Quote Originally Posted by Gary View Post
    An interesting thing is, I myself have two conflicting views, or at least "observations" about the Bose (remember I'm using the T1 Tonematch).

For up to 200 people (roughly) I'll use 1 x L1 Model 2, a pair of B1 Bass cabs, and the T1 controller.

At a venue I was at last October (5 storey hotel) with the function room on ground floor (thankfully), I had reports about an hour into the dancey part of the night from a staff member, that guests on the 3rd floor would like the bass turned down. Now bearing in mind that the Bose B1 cabs are "only" (cough cough) 2 x 6.5inch woofers, and the two cabs weren't even "acoustically coupled" which would have given about an extra 3db, thats pretty impressive. I've encountered this before, so instead of rotating any bass or volume controls anticlockwise on mixer or tonematch, instead I adjusted the Tonematch settings and applied a 50hz pass filter, so that nothing (more or less) under 50hz would get produced. I checked with the staff a half hour later, they checked with the original complainant and ...problem solved. (my next step would have been to set up an 80hz pass filter instead, had the problem still been current).

But, observation 2...In a function room, there's plenty of bass on the dancefloor and surrounding area, but...If I'm set up in a typical rectangular function room with the stage/dancefoor at one end, and seating/bars reaching off toward the opposite end of the room, the bass tails off as I walk toward the back of the room as I pass the halfway point. The bass doesnt disappear completely, or make the top/mid sound a solo act, the bass just becomes less dominant, has less energy, is less intrusive.

Now bearing in mind, at multi-age group bookings, if you're there for the "coming in, sitting down" part of the evening - its common enough to overhear people coming into the function area looking at the sea of tables and asking each other "Where would you like to sit?", a common reply is "As far away from that noise as possible" (this will be taking place while you're running about 50watts by the way...of course) - they tend to either head toward the furthest, darkest corner (or in total cliche, are often reported to take up postion at the table nearest the dancefloor...)

I've now included this phenomina as a "Plus" in my wedding and party literature. A viable plus for those potential customers that suspect, when they (are made to :-) ) think about it, that they may have guests at their function who want to talk, who want to catch up on old times, without being blasted, star shaped halfway up the back wall of the venue by "boom boom boom".

Strong bass where you need it, on the dancefloor, but controlable via T1 filters for certain constructions of venue, and less "stray bass", and an utter positive thing to mention for future clients who are looking for a reason to book you instead of him, him, her, or him. Works for me.
    ]nteresting observations but you need to be careful about what you claim to be able to do with your sound as EVERY venue and room have DIFFERENT characteritics and EVEN if you play the same room it can differ according to numbers in the room--in addition of course setting up in an empty room is a waste of time as when it fills up the acoustics change and settings need changing slightly.

As I had to point out to the presenter half way through a presentation by a leading sound company

I just claim to give people a good time---if that involves turning the music down OR up to head banging levels so be it!!!