Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: A Night i NEVER want to repeat

Default A Night i NEVER want to repeat

I started a thread on here a few weeks ago asking for some help with a playlist i received for a party (the playlist which had some country stuff) I wasn't 100% happy with doing the party, i just had a gut feeling it wasn't going to be fun for some reason. So last night was the night. Got there to find it was a tiny tiny tiny venue. But no problems setting up. Started playing music, had everyone up from about half 8 - 12. So far so good... Ended the night at 12, as agreed, was really happy with the night and knew everyone had had a great night.. . . . . Then came the "one more song" chant, so i played another two songs whilst packing up. When i took the first load out to the car park i didnt realise a man had followed me out to behind my van where he continued to abuse me and swear at me over the fact that i didnt play any more songs. I explained that i was only booked until 12, but this was not good enough for him. I quickly attempted to get back inside so i wasnt totaly alone. While clearing the rest of my things he continued to throw my business cards in my face while saying i was F S . . . i am usually more then happy to go on for longer (obviously at a cost) but due to an emergency, which i explained, i really couldn't do any longer. This whole situation has really made me feel like throwing in the tail. Its totly taken the fun out of the whole thing for me now

Sorry to hear that - no one should have to put up with that sort of abuse.

If you're not use to that sort of behaviour it can be quite a shock, that idiot will have forgotten about it as soon as he sobers up but unfortunately you're still left having to deal with it.

For some people this is how they talk and act all the time, so it doesn't mean anything or have the same impact to them as it does to us.

The only thing I can say (and I know it's easy to say) is don't take it personally, he doesn't know you so it can't be personal (you could've been anyone, barman who closed the bar etc), it meant nothing to him and it shouldn't have to mean anything to you.

You probably handled exactly how it should've been handled - it didn't end up getting physical and that's the best result you can hope for in these situations.

So don't carry this experience around with you, forget this idiot, he's not worth a second thought.

Martin is absolutely right, but even so, it leaves a bad taste in the mouth, and spoils a good night. Chin up mate.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

Thanks, Its a big shock, ive had it once before where i had a bloke follow me out to the car park because he wanted it to go on for longer, but i managed to sort it out with him pretty quickly, where as with this bloke it was quite different. I have never felt like i was so close to a smack, he was very intimidating and he quickly got everyone else on his side, even the bar staff, which didn't help matters!!!! At one point i was almost considering calling the police! I managed to pack up in seven minutes, has got to be a record! My van/equipment was a right mess, but i was just happy to be out and not hurt.

Just blame it on the venue and tell him that there is a cut off time and you will get in trouble. I just say its the law and part of thier licence - they normally give up then.

Even better do a fake ending 10 mins before and you then have the two "one more" requests sorted with a couple of mins to spare.

They then have nothing to complain about (unless there is a big clock behind you of course).
    Your DJ - Mobile DJ The New Forest, Southampton & Hampshire. Toby
    https://yourdj.co.uk/

Quote Originally Posted by yourdj View Post
    Just blame it on the venue and tell him that there is a cut off time and you will get in trouble. I just say its the law and part of thier licence - they normally give up then.

Even better do a fake ending 10 mins before and you then have the two "one more" requests sorted with a couple of mins to spare.

They then have nothing to complain about (unless there is a big clock behind you of course).

I gave it the whole im not allowed routine, my trouble was that the venue turned round and said we dont care how long you go on for! With that he then said to me this is my F brothers birthday and your telling me you can't go on for any longer, he then got his brothers girlfriend to come over who was crying and said now look what you've done. As i was going out the door a nice man did say to me "please do ignore them all, they are after trouble and they would have done this no matter what time you finished and no matter who the DJ was" I felt slightly better knowing i had someone on my side.

Quote Originally Posted by soundsation View Post
    Thanks, Its a big shock, ive had it once before where i had a bloke follow me out to the car park because he wanted it to go on for longer, but i managed to sort it out with him pretty quickly, where as with this bloke it was quite different. I have never felt like i was so close to a smack, he was very intimidating and he quickly got everyone else on his side, even the bar staff, which didn't help matters!!!! At one point i was almost considering calling the police! I managed to pack up in seven minutes, has got to be a record! My van/equipment was a right mess, but i was just happy to be out and not hurt.
    Didn't realise the other guests were at it as well, and the staff! What sort of venue is that? (one you've blacklisted is the correct reply!).

As I said, you handled it really well to get out without it escalating.

The venue has definitely been black listed. For everyone on here the venue was The Royal Oak Pub, Havering Atte Bower, Essex. I will never ever under any circumstances be returning. If there is any trouble at any functions between guests i wait inside until the crowds sort them selves out and go home as i don't want to end up in it, i had no choice at this venue but to just keep my fingers crossed and get on with it.

Ah its a pub. That explains it.

People seem to think it is their house especially if they have been boozing there for years.

Forget it and focus on better venues Not worth worrying about just part of the job at times.
    Your DJ - Mobile DJ The New Forest, Southampton & Hampshire. Toby
    https://yourdj.co.uk/

I agree with what has been said so far but it certainly doesn't help when the bar staff are on their side too.

Sorry to say its one of the bad sides of the job that you will experience from time to time and it doesn't have to be a pub either, even the top venues can attract pond life, especially nowadays with all these special cut price deals going on.

Difficult to deal with but it does sound as if you did ok, as already said put it down to experience and don't take it to heart, the good times outweigh the bad ones.