Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: IP Address of Sender - Email

Default IP Address of Sender - Email

Hi All,

I'm hoping one of you (clever so and so's) may know how to find the IP address of an email sender for emails sent via Webmail accounts eg. Will the senders IP be in the message header???

I'm convinced a local operator is sending me fake enquiries, I've had 3 over the past few weeks and I just want to see if I can find out if they are coming from the same place. If they are, and someone can explain how I find the IP address, I will send a polite email asking them to refrain

Thanks in advance

Supplying Premier DJ's for Weddings,
    Birthdays & Social Events.

www.basingstokediscos.co.uk

What kind of email client do you use?

Web based mainly, but I have configured outlook.

Information like that can be found in the header of the emails however if they've sent their enquiries via a web-based mail provider (Hotmail, Gmail, Yahoo, etc) their own IP address may not be included since the mail will be coming straight from their respective mail server.

Also, Chances are your suspect sender won't have a static IP address if he's operating from home. If they drop connection or restart their router they'll be given a different IP, unless the enquiries were sent while the connection had been active for some time.

Quote Originally Posted by mattydinx View Post
    Information like that can be found in the header of the emails however if they've sent their enquiries via a web-based mail provider (Hotmail, Gmail, Yahoo, etc) their own IP address may not be included since the mail will be coming straight from their respective mail server.

Also, Chances are your suspect sender won't have a static IP address if he's operating from home. If they drop connection or restart their router they'll be given a different IP, unless the enquiries were sent while the connection had been active for some time.
    Thanks for the info. I just wanted proof these were spoof enquiries. Never mind.

Thanks again.

What makes you think they are fake?

Quote Originally Posted by Solitaire Entertainments Ltd View Post
    What makes you think they are fake?
    I'm 99% 2 out of the 3 are from the same person. call it a hunch. I just wanted to see if there was a way of proving my suspicion. No drama, I would find it all very amusing if I were right in my thinking

Ask them for a home number to have a chat, or better still offer to go round for a chat!
    High quality bespoke wedding entertainment
    www.thepinkelephantcompany.co.uk
    part of 'The Pink Elephant Entertainment Company Ltd'

I've noticed over the past couple of years that the odd 'suspect' enquiry comes through around this time of the year. I thought I had one at the weekend but it turned out to be a proper one and I converted it into a booking.

The problem is - Unless you are totally 100% sure that it is 'fake', you have to deal with them as you normally would which is a pain sometimes. I agree with Pink Elephant....ask for a contact number.

I deal with any enquiry with the utmost professionalism. The operator in question has my price now so they can undercut as much as they like. Pretty sad really... 2 were definite fakes, I found and ran a program off the internet that divulges the IP address of the sender.

Asking for a number is a little hard when they specifically state they want to discuss the "imaginary" booking over email -