Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Mirror ball lighting ADJ Pin spot

Default Mirror ball lighting ADJ Pin spot

A client next month has asked for a mirror ball effect which is something not in my current lighting arsenal.

So I'm looking at mirror balls and ways of lighting them. Having used the "search" facility and gleaned a bit of info I just wanted some opinions or "how you do its" from some that have experience of such things.

I'm steering towards the ADJ pin spot http://www.disco-world.co.uk/lightin.../prod_686.html

I'll point out now that the client would like a traditional mirror ball and not the jellydome / starball type affair.

If anyone has any reviews or personal knowledge of the ADJ Pin spot then please feel free to share
    Professional DJ & Event services inc Led & Starlight dancefloors, Venue uplighting

Derbyshire Wedding DJ - Wedding Uplighting, Dancefloors and Professional Wedding DJs

Acme/ Prolight do quite a good one too Paul
    Steve Mad, bad & dangerous to know www.corabar.co.uk
    Better to study for one hour with the wise, than to drink wine with the foolish.
    The opinions of Corabar Steve are not necessarily those of Corabar Entertainment, or any of its subsidiaries

Quote Originally Posted by Corabar Steve View Post
    Acme/ Prolight do quite a good one too Paul
    This one?

http://www.bluearan.co.uk/index.php?id=ACMPARC34
    Professional DJ & Event services inc Led & Starlight dancefloors, Venue uplighting

Derbyshire Wedding DJ - Wedding Uplighting, Dancefloors and Professional Wedding DJs

That should do the job, I use a 3 watt LED and it's bright enough - but the trick is getting the light positioned correctly to give the best effect.

I can just about get a decent effect with the light mounted inside the furthest corner of my stand with the mirror ball on my overhead on a home built pivot sort of contraption.

I quite like Toby's method of mounting his using an Ultimax Atlas (which I'm considering nicking - the idea that is, not the actual stand!)

I'm also thinking of changing my pinspot to an RGB one to give some colour options as well.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

I like that, really good coverage on that.

And some more tips from my experiences -

Size - 12" is just about right.

As useful as they appear I haven't found a battery operated rotator that hasn't seized up or broken in some other way so I'd stay clear of them (I'd pay good money for a really reliable, well built one if anyone know of any).

Get the slowest rotating motor you can - if they're too fast the lights swirling around the room can be a bit a disorientating.

And Cobra do a nifty little carry bag for not a lot of money -

http://www.terralec.co.uk/padded_bag...2/28079_p.html

keep them in the bag as you hang them, makes it much easier and safer.

Yep
    Steve Mad, bad & dangerous to know www.corabar.co.uk
    Better to study for one hour with the wise, than to drink wine with the foolish.
    The opinions of Corabar Steve are not necessarily those of Corabar Entertainment, or any of its subsidiaries

Quote Originally Posted by funkymook View Post
    I'm also thinking of changing my pinspot to an RGB one to give some colour options as well.
    Just be aware that you will struggle to get a pure white, or any colour obtained by mixing, as the component colours tend to seperate in the projected image
    The Keyboard is mightier than the Sword ?
    Occasions Of Excellence For One & All In Cornwall

Quote Originally Posted by Kernow View Post
    Just be aware that you will struggle to get a pure white, or any colour obtained by mixing, as the component colours tend to seperate in the projected image
    That's true - it's worth checking with any of these lights what they're like reflected off a mirror ball - mine give a nice circle of light (which is why they were recommended).

Quote Originally Posted by funkymook View Post
    That's true - it's worth checking with any of these lights what they're like reflected off a mirror ball - mine give a nice circle of light (which is why they were recommended).
    Indeedy

I have tried par16 'birdies' with the remote controlled tri-led lamps. Lovely effect, but when mixed to white the walls & ceiling resemble a miriad of tiny red, green & blue 'lifebelts'.
    If a customer specifies 'white !!' then I revert to single white lamps with a narrow beam angle. The six degree of the ADJ's would seem about spot-on.
    The Keyboard is mightier than the Sword ?
    Occasions Of Excellence For One & All In Cornwall