Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Cancellations

Deposit retained in all circumstances where the customer cancels. It covers our administration time. I generally wouldn't invoke the full payment unless it was a really late cancellation and we had turned other stuff down.
    www.nkentertainment.co.uk
    The north wests premier wedding DJ and singer package. We will not be beaten on quality!
    www.michaelmooble.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by paulg View Post
    I do well enough to be able to forget the odd fifty or hundred quid here and there - it's not as if it's a lot of money! Like I said though, I'd follow my conscience but we are all different.

More than once in the past I've handed my fee back to a customer when I've felt it was the right thing to do.
    You do have another job though Paul.

Its different for lower wage full time DJ's as that much money can mean a lot and its not their fault if the client cancelled.
    I would have kept the booking fee. If a client cancelled within a month I would demand the whole fee as i will never get that back.

For an all day I would loose £1000 which is a hefty amount.
    Your DJ - Mobile DJ The New Forest, Southampton & Hampshire. Toby
    https://yourdj.co.uk/

Quote Originally Posted by paulg View Post
    I do well enough to be able to forget the odd fifty or hundred quid here and there - it's not as if it's a lot of money! Like I said though, I'd follow my conscience but we are all different.

More than once in the past I've handed my fee back to a customer when I've felt it was the right thing to do.
    You don't rely on the money then?

Quote Originally Posted by yourdj View Post
    You do have another job though Paul..
    I used to have. I do unpaid voluntary work now.

Quote Originally Posted by yourdj View Post

For an all day I would loose £1000 which is a hefty amount.
    On its own,yes that does sound like a big hit,but what is your NRD on that Toby? £1/2/300.
    Under those circumstances,for somebody who is booked every Sat in the year for £600+ I would have thought you could take that sort of hit.

Now, I'm not saying that there aren't circumstances where we wouldn't charge, etc, but I would like to ask a question to everyone who would reply 'don't charge' / 'give the deposit back' etc...

Imagine the scenario: you weren't self-employed, and you were working in paid employment, and the wages you received from that paid employment were needed to pay your bills, etc. Now, one particular week, there was a problem at your place of work (eg pipes burst in the building) meaning that you couldn't go in to work. Would you offer your employer your week's wages because you feel sorry for them as it's not their fault that you can't go in and do your job?

Scott I would either keep the deposit or charge the full amount regardless. The only reason that I wouldn't charge the full amount is working for someone who has tried cancelling your service isn't going to be much fun.

The way she has worded "her job is on the line" doesn't quite sit right with me.
    The Cheltenham Wedding DJ
    www.cheltenhamweddingdj.co.uk

DDWES Event Hire

www.ddwes.co.uk

I'm also sure people who are cancelling last minute, are also very capable of telling a few porky pies to get the deposit back, and/or save themselves from paying what's due in your T&C's.

Quote Originally Posted by djtrev View Post
    On its own,yes that does sound like a big hit,but what is your NRD on that Toby? £1/2/300.
    Under those circumstances,for somebody who is booked every Sat in the year for £600+ I would have thought you could take that sort of hit.
    But why should you have to?

Covering, West Midlands, Cotswolds, South & Mid Wales. Have van, will travel!
    National Association of DJs

Quote Originally Posted by soundtracker View Post
    But why should you have to?
    Well assuming that Toby hasn't got to bring in outside suppliers,which I do understand could cause problems,I would hazard a guess that £200 NRD for a day that you might fill anyway would be something that someone could absorb given that he is on a potential £31000 for 52 days work and there are another 313 days to fill.