Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: MY DJ Experiment

Default MY DJ Experiment

I officially retired from DJ'ing just over a year ago now and have absolutely loved having my weekends free to go for meals, drinks with friends and just generally chill out etc.

However, I do kind of miss it and so I am going to start back again but am doing it almost as a pricing experiment as well as for fun.

I love doing weddings that are more like nightclubs than a cheesy disco and so I have put together a package which should allow me to do this. Obviously I will play whatever music is required but I'm going to make the venue look like a 'night clubby' disco. Oh and I can play with some cool toys while doing it

I have put together a show which will comprise of the following:

4x Showtec Phantom Moving Heads
    4x 1.5m Truss Podiums
    2x Flame Lights
    1x Haze Machine
    1x Starclothed Deckstand
    2x Pioneer CDJ 2000's
    1x Pioneer DJM2000 mixer
    1x Ben McCarthy

The cost to hire this for the night is going to be £900 (inc VAT) to start off with. This is where the experiment part of it comes in really and I will keep you all updated as to how this goes.

I know that I am no better than one of the DJ's that works for us, however I am intrigued to see if people pay for me because they perceive that they will be getting a better DJ.

The point of the post is that if this works for me then why can't it work for you?

I will keep you posted!
    http://www.premier-ltd.com DJ's, Dance floors, LED Furniture, Staging, Lighting, Draping, Audio & Visual Hire

I'm not quite sure what is different from any other disco and what the experiment is really?

Why would they perceive you to be better just because of a few extra moving heads and some truss?

Or am I totally missing the point here..? (Probably am)

Quote Originally Posted by Leicester Ben View Post
    I officially retired from DJ'ing just over a year ago now and have absolutely loved having my weekends free to go for meals, drinks with friends and just generally chill out etc.

However, I do kind of miss it and so I am going to start back again but am doing it almost as a pricing experiment as well as for fun.

I love doing weddings that are more like nightclubs than a cheesy disco and so I have put together a package which should allow me to do this. Obviously I will play whatever music is required but I'm going to make the venue look like a 'night clubby' disco. Oh and I can play with some cool toys while doing it

I have put together a show which will comprise of the following:

4x Showtec Phantom Moving Heads
    4x 1.5m Truss Podiums
    2x Flame Lights
    1x Haze Machine
    1x Starclothed Deckstand
    2x Pioneer CDJ 2000's
    1x Pioneer DJM2000 mixer
    1x Ben McCarthy

The cost to hire this for the night is going to be £900 (inc VAT) to start off with. This is where the experiment part of it comes in really and I will keep you all updated as to how this goes.

I know that I am no better than one of the DJ's that works for us, however I am intrigued to see if people pay for me because they perceive that they will be getting a better DJ.

The point of the post is that if this works for me then why can't it work for you?

I will keep you posted!
    Not sure if it will work TBH.

Ive had a couple of enquiries where they have stated that they want a "club" DJ...replied as such, with some examples of clubs ive covered or held residencies....and never heard a dickybird back. Now they aint too many nightclubs in cumbria...and i know most of the DJs that work/have worked there...and thers only one or two that are in the mobile game....so either blagging it, or it really dies come down to price (im not the cheapest).

Quote Originally Posted by Solitaire Entertainments Ltd View Post
    I'm not quite sure what is different from any other disco and what the experiment is really?

Why would they perceive you to be better just because of a few extra moving heads and some truss?

Or am I totally missing the point here..? (Probably am)
    The way I read it Daz is; club kit=club dj mean more expensive
    http://www.dynamic-entertainment.co.uk

Tel:0800 990 3030

The opinions here are those of an individual and not necessarily those of Dynamic Entertainment.

Quote Originally Posted by Dynamic Entertainment View Post

The way I read it Daz is; club kit=club dj mean more expensive
    Right. Interesting. Perhaps people booking that sort of thing may have an interest in equipment, but I can't see it.

Would you pay an extra £300-£400 to someone just because they used Pioneer decks and mixer?

The experiment really boils down to the money and will people pay that much for just a disco (with moving heads and truss)

I've always thought that some customers just throw money at DJ's in the hope that the most expensive one must be the best. I guess my experiment is to see how much I can push it and if this really is the case.
    http://www.premier-ltd.com DJ's, Dance floors, LED Furniture, Staging, Lighting, Draping, Audio & Visual Hire

Quote Originally Posted by Leicester Ben View Post
    The experiment really boils down to the money and will people pay that much for just a disco (with moving heads and truss)

I've always thought that some customers just throw money at DJ's in the hope that the most expensive one must be the best. I guess my experiment is to see how much I can push it and if this really is the case.
    Or just come across as a money grabbing git

To be perfectly honest. Your show isnt that much different to what others are already putting out there...bar playout...which the customer doesnt see anyway.
    http://www.dynamic-entertainment.co.uk

Tel:0800 990 3030

The opinions here are those of an individual and not necessarily those of Dynamic Entertainment.

Quote Originally Posted by Solitaire Entertainments Ltd View Post
    Right. Interesting. Perhaps people booking that sort of thing may have an interest in equipment, but I can't see it.

Would you pay an extra £300-£400 to someone just because they used Pioneer decks and mixer?
    I think you're right about the sound equipment - but a well shot video showing the moving heads in haze to their full advantage would impress anyone.

I can see the thinking behind the idea, I'm sure many DJ's have moving heads etc and can give that club look - but get the marketing right and you'll be perceived as offering something special.

Worcestershire, West Midlands/Cotswolds Border

I think it's a good price, although it's probably less than it would cost you to just dry hire the kit!
    DJs, PA, Lighting & AV Hire, LED Uplighting & Wedding Lighting, Dance Floor Hire, Starcloth & Room Decor - Covering the Midlands & Cotswolds.
    Revolution Event Services Ltd - Wedding Lighting
    01386 898 113

I understand you Ben. It's not all about the kit either. People will think 'Ben' is in high demand from taking a break. If you read - http://www.benmccarthy-wedding-dj.com/book_ben.php it should make it clearer.

The quality of the marketing will decide the success or failure of this imo, good luck though, fair play to you I say. Keep us up to date the happenings !