Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Recent bad Weather

Quote Originally Posted by Solitaire Entertainments Ltd View Post
    Nightmare living on a hill. Got all the way home onto my road, then took about 45 minutes of shovelling, salting, shunting and swearing (rather loudly) and eventually I made it onto the drive. Very wet, very tired and very ed off.
    How many bags left Darren?

Quote Originally Posted by hammy View Post
    How many bags left Darren?
    One and the other one was almost a waste of time...

Alright for small spaces and drives, not really for roads though.

Bad weather

Not a sniff of snow or ice here, been walking the dog on the beach & cliffpath today, followed by lunch in cafe on the harbourside

The Keyboard is mightier than the Sword ?
    Occasions Of Excellence For One & All In Cornwall

No snow as yet here.

Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
    How was it for you? Did you get home safely? Did you get to the gig OK? Was the gig cancelled? I was speaking to one forum member last night whose planned Saturday in front of the telly with a pizza was spoiled by being pressed into service as a replacement for the band who had crashed their van on the way to the gig!! Hope you all made it to and from yours safely.
    10 minutes from Home---makes a big change--but as a lot of people aged around 70 involved many did not even bother to turn up.

Struggled a bit with the older audience but made a decent job of the first half.

After the break the KISS OF DEATH.

Organiser---Please can you announce the roads are bad so anyone who wants to leave early should go now

Yes a load more cleared off leaving me with essentially 8 people who wanted to join in the Barn Dance.

Lucky thats a Square Dance.

THEN some poor old boy lost his breath and they called the Paramedics

Wheeled him off on a stretcher and an oxygen mask-- so on we went --finished an hour early.

Massive delay on the way out as slippery slope outside the Club which everyone was trying to get up without 4x4.

Interestingly the Club Notice Board said the Swinging Blue Jeans are appearing there soon---I thought they were all dead, retired, fat, bald or in jail---apparently not-- they must have had a serious facelift looking at their picture---or maybe someone is impersonating them

Got home without too much trouble really to watch MOFTD--felt sorry for organiser --what a night to choose.!!

Left my gig at 1240

0130 Went off the road onto verge into shallow ditch, beeching the car, (followed track on road, and there was a bit of a camber on the road, so slide off and down), in the sticks on the A10 between Ely and Cambridge. Also help another motorist in a RWD BMW which with the camber, was driving down the road sideways.

Spent an hour on the phone holding for RAC (in two call attempts) booked an RAC rescue that'll arrive anytime in the next 4-6 hours.

0300, helped the taxi man (along with another motorist that stopped and offered help) who was stranded 100yds up the road from me get free, he told me he had a range rover and would go home, jump start the vehicle with the one he was in, and then come back and try to tow me out.

0345, he returns (i was having my doubt's as time was ticking on). and he pulls me back onto the road.

0500, get to my parents to drop the trailer off, (we have a slope at our house, that's impossible to get up with even the smallest amount of snow).

0530, Get home, attempt to get up the slope with just the car, don't get anywhere close and finally get into bed.

Bad weather

Its -30 in Poland. Thats bad weather

Everything grinds to a halt when ever a little bit of snow falls in the UK.

bring all the usual stuff though:

- salt
    - shovel
    - warm clothes
    - puncture repair (foam stuff is great)
    - torch & emergency light
    - phone & aa card
    - tow rope and jump cables.
    - spare fuel.
    Your DJ - Mobile DJ The New Forest, Southampton & Hampshire. Toby
    https://yourdj.co.uk/

Dazzy D
    Lightning Disco & Entertainment

Born to make you party!

well saturday night I had a winter ball for M&S at stock brook manor in essex.
    Setup in the morning all ok, no snow.
    Left for the gig around 6pm, arrived, no snow.
    All guest'd arrived by about 7.30pm, all ok ok now snow.
    It started snowing about 9pm, quite lightly really, but consistant, but around 10.30pm it was quite bad and about 5" deep. I was told to make an ancouncement thatmost cab company's will stop comming to the venue at 11.30, the gig was on till 1am.
    Alot of the guest's came on the same coach, which was ok to come at the 1am finish time. So a few left around 11ish, but still had a good number left.

Right this is where goes down hill. So I leave most of the gear at the venue as it there are setps a or a long slope to get the gear out, the snow was about 10" by this time (2am)
    When putting my speakers in the van, a young'ish woman asked if I could take her and her mum to the high street, which is on my way and not that far, I said ok, but she would have sit in the back. So got them in, driving up the drive of the venue and she say's oh can you pick my freind up, he was comming to pic us up, but ran out of petrol and did not have any cash on him, so he had walked about 3miles in the snow. So I pick him up from the drive of the venue. I then take him to as near to his car as I could, as it was down a hill and my van is rear wheel drive, and not good in the snow.
    Anyway he gets his petrol can from his car, which was about 20mins away from where I drop him, he then comes back I then get him as near to the petrol station as I could, he then comes back, I then drive them back to near his car, and just go to the brow the hill, once they went I tried to turn round, no go, tried to reverse, no go, so I go down the hill, get to the bottom and it flat ground, but futher on I knew it was all country roads and more hills, so tried to turn round and go back up the hill, no good, now I am stuck.
    So its now about 3.30am and I am stuffed I ring my break down servic, which I have through my insurance and it turns out I am only covered for break down, not pulling out the snow, if I wanted them to come out it will be £108, so reluctanly I say yes and pay.

The recovery turns up at 5.50am. I was told a 4x4 type truck would come out, but no just a normal one, which was also rear wheel drive, and they driver told me he had got stuck three times getting me,
    Anyway he starts to tell me if he can get my van turned round he knows awy to get back to the A127 which is a dual carrige way and not to affected by the snow, I said there is no way my van will get round the country rodas and up the hills, to get to the main road, I knew I'd be ok once I got to the A127.

I then said I have not paid £108 for directions, which he agreed, and he said he would lift my van onto the doll and try and tow me to the one main road.
    He said with the weight of my van, it should be ok.

So did this and all ok got me to a petrol station where it was free from snow, so I could get a good run onto the main road,

Got home all ok about 7.am, had a cup of tea, wash etc, and had to go back to the venue in my car, as the venue were having a wedding veiwing day so had to clear my gear early.

Finally got home for good at about 10am. So I had been up all in all about 28hrs

Now I don't know if I would have got stuck without doing the good samaritan bit, as its quite hill to get home from there which ever way you go, but I don't think i'll do it again!

Daren

Quote Originally Posted by sxboy View Post
    well saturday night I had a winter ball for M&S at stock brook manor in essex.
    Setup in the morning all ok, no snow.
    Left for the gig around 6pm, arrived, no snow.
    All guest'd arrived by about 7.30pm, all ok ok now snow.
    It started snowing about 9pm, quite lightly really, but consistant, but around 10.30pm it was quite bad and about 5" deep. I was told to make an ancouncement thatmost cab company's will stop comming to the venue at 11.30, the gig was on till 1am.
    Alot of the guest's came on the same coach, which was ok to come at the 1am finish time. So a few left around 11ish, but still had a good number left.

Right this is where goes down hill. So I leave most of the gear at the venue as it there are setps a or a long slope to get the gear out, the snow was about 10" by this time (2am)
    When putting my speakers in the van, a young'ish woman asked if I could take her and her mum to the high street, which is on my way and not that far, I said ok, but she would have sit in the back. So got them in, driving up the drive of the venue and she say's oh can you pick my freind up, he was comming to pic us up, but ran out of petrol and did not have any cash on him, so he had walked about 3miles in the snow. So I pick him up from the drive of the venue. I then take him to as near to his car as I could, as it was down a hill and my van is rear wheel drive, and not good in the snow.
    Anyway he gets his petrol can from his car, which was about 20mins away from where I drop him, he then comes back I then get him as near to the petrol station as I could, he then comes back, I then drive them back to near his car, and just go to the brow the hill, once they went I tried to turn round, no go, tried to reverse, no go, so I go down the hill, get to the bottom and it flat ground, but futher on I knew it was all country roads and more hills, so tried to turn round and go back up the hill, no good, now I am stuck.
    So its now about 3.30am and I am stuffed I ring my break down servic, which I have through my insurance and it turns out I am only covered for break down, not pulling out the snow, if I wanted them to come out it will be £108, so reluctanly I say yes and pay.

The recovery turns up at 5.50am. I was told a 4x4 type truck would come out, but no just a normal one, which was also rear wheel drive, and they driver told me he had got stuck three times getting me,
    Anyway he starts to tell me if he can get my van turned round he knows awy to get back to the A127 which is a dual carrige way and not to affected by the snow, I said there is no way my van will get round the country rodas and up the hills, to get to the main road, I knew I'd be ok once I got to the A127.

I then said I have not paid £108 for directions, which he agreed, and he said he would lift my van onto the doll and try and tow me to the one main road.
    He said with the weight of my van, it should be ok.

So did this and all ok got me to a petrol station where it was free from snow, so I could get a good run onto the main road,

Got home all ok about 7.am, had a cup of tea, wash etc, and had to go back to the venue in my car, as the venue were having a wedding veiwing day so had to clear my gear early.

Finally got home for good at about 10am. So I had been up all in all about 28hrs

Now I don't know if I would have got stuck without doing the good samaritan bit, as its quite hill to get home from there which ever way you go, but I don't think i'll do it again!

Daren
    Sometimes you wonder why you bothered! But well done you for helping those people out. I just hope they remembered it!
    Dazzy D
    Lightning Disco & Entertainment

Born to make you party!