Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.

Thread: Cold Weather & Equipment - Advice Please

Default Cold Weather & Equipment - Advice Please

Hi all,

This isn't really about storing equipment in the cold weather. I am sorted on that side of things.
    I need some advice really as I have a gig next saturday that is in a large barn at an eventing stables.

I went over to the stables yesterday to arrange access and set up times for next week and was told that I could get it at any time I liked which is cool.

However.....If the weather is to stay like this and it's freezing, I have a few concerns. I am sure that when the equipment is actually being used it will be ok?? I am putting in extra sound because it's a large barn and also extra lighting too because there is none in there. The gig is a very good payer and I am DJing from 8.00pm - 01.00am.

Normally I would set up for something like this early in the day to make sure that all is well but don't fancy the idea of leaving equipment like the Denon and Laptop etc somewhere where it's going to get very cold.

Any suggestions?

I know it may be a pain in the backside but I don't really want to turn up a couple of hours beforehand and have to start setting it all up so was thinking that the lighting and everything else could go in and then I'd go back slightly earlier to put the Denon, Laptop and Amps in. What do you think?

The lady whose 40th it is mentioned that she may get some heaters in if she could. We also had a laugh and I said I'd have my hat, coat and gloves on too (never DJ'd like that before).

So, anyone else done something like this and how did you cope?
    Any advice would be great. I know that sometimes Laptops and Amplifiers can overheat so in theory you'd think that they would be ok wouldn't you because they will be kept cool-ish?

Cheers
    G

Quote Originally Posted by Shakermaker Promotions View Post
    Normally I would set up for something like this early in the day to make sure that all is well but don't fancy the idea of leaving equipment like the Denon and Laptop etc somewhere where it's going to get very cold.
    Shouldnt cause any problems as the equipment will be at the same temperature as the room.

Problems tend to occur when you take freezing cold equipment from the van and take it into a warm humid room because that is when you get condensation on it.

Agree with katman, the only real cold problems I've had is condensation on CD player lasers from taking them cold into a warm environment. Oh, and Pulsar Masterpieces which have a well-known habit of choosing when they want to function properly if the weather drops below about 5 degrees. I was quite astonished yesterday having frozen the kit inside the van overnight Friday night that both Masterpieces I was using worked perfectly, was fully expecting to have to sit them on a radiator.

Just be wary of not getting too cold yourself - even if there are heaters they may not be effective where you are, and your feet in particular may suffer. Worst one I've had ironically was an overnighter in June where it got down to about 4 degrees and there was no heater in the dance tent, with 3 sides basically open. The guy running the lights for me that night was still too cold whilst wearing 3 fleeces!

Cheers for the advice guys.
    I know what you're saying about condensation etc and I've experienced that little problem before. My main concern was the Denon and the external HD's. I guess I could set up everything else and just put the Denon in last minute on arrival.

If the weather is like this, I will be wrapping up in a few layers! Really looking forward to the actual gig itself but it's come at the wrong weekend. I didn't work last night and only did Monday and Friday this week. Next week I have Friday and Saturday and then a Wedding Fayre on the Sunday so it's going to be a busy one.

Thanks again.

Why not put a large towel over the top of the equipment your concerned about?
    The Cheltenham Wedding DJ
    www.cheltenhamweddingdj.co.uk

DDWES Event Hire

www.ddwes.co.uk

If you're that concerned....leave your equipment turned on (providing there won't be risk of others messing around with it)

It'll generate it's own heat (Y)

Quote Originally Posted by DeckstarDeluxe View Post
    Why not put a large towel over the top of the equipment your concerned about?
    I have a large black velvet cover that I used to have as a deckstand cover that will be covering it all should I decide to set up early so that's covered as it were.

Quote Originally Posted by Shakermaker Promotions View Post
    Hi all,

This isn't really about storing equipment in the cold weather. I am sorted on that side of things.
    I need some advice really as I have a gig next saturday that is in a large barn at an eventing stables.

I went over to the stables yesterday to arrange access and set up times for next week and was told that I could get it at any time I liked which is cool.

However.....If the weather is to stay like this and it's freezing, I have a few concerns. I am sure that when the equipment is actually being used it will be ok?? I am putting in extra sound because it's a large barn and also extra lighting too because there is none in there. The gig is a very good payer and I am DJing from 8.00pm - 01.00am.

Any suggestions?

I know it may be a pain in the backside but I don't really want to turn up a couple of hours beforehand and have to start setting it all up so was thinking that the lighting and everything else could go in and then I'd go back slightly earlier to put the Denon, Laptop and Amps in. What do you think?

The lady whose 40th it is mentioned that she may get some heaters in if she could. We also had a laugh and I said I'd have my hat, coat and gloves on too (never DJ'd like that before).

So, anyone else done something like this and how did you cope?
    Any advice would be great. I know that sometimes Laptops and Amplifiers can overheat so in theory you'd think that they would be ok wouldn't you because they will be kept cool-ish?

Cheers
    G
    Passive speakers and standard Lighting effects should be alright stored, they do ok in my garage.

Hard drives, Laptops, Cortex, Amplifiers I would not leave at the Barn.

If you have Actives thats a problem ( not wishing to reopen that debate)

On the night it would be a miracle if they got the place as hot as some of the places you played last Summer so no worries there.

I played a tent in the middle of a freezing Winter with a paraffin Space Heater( like a jet engine with flame coming out the front) and that was sort of ok although I kept my coat on .

If they use Electrical heaters watch out for your power requirements--ESPECIALLY as we have had power issues with Barns---got one right now

I'll be using passive full range speakers and passive bass bins and also a pair of actives too for the sound. The actives will go in last minute with the Denon and Laptop.

Thanks for the advice.

Quote Originally Posted by CRAZY K ROADSHOW View Post
    If you have Actives thats a problem ( not wishing to reopen that debate)
    As a newish member my first winter and someone who stores gear in the garage I would be happy to know your thoughts, at the last gig i did the clip light on one of the speakers was showing for around an hour so didn't hammer it...

not meaning to open old wounds or hi jack the thread but as the one of the main purposes if the forum is to pass on and advice would be happy to hear.