Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Dilemma

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Brown View Post
    That's the thing.

I don't have any details.

Venue, times, her address. I couldn't even tell you her name. She just called me. TBH, there wasn't much I could do until she had emailed me.
    Well maybe when she said she wanted to book you, You should of got some details from her like phone number etc

Right,

I'll call her tomorrow and explain the situation.

Without sounding like a big head, it's not something I can sub out too easily. Not many people are prepared to run around like a nutter for two hours.

PAUL PEART!

What did you say to her on the phone right after she said "Book me in" I think that's quite important...
    Last edited by Cowlinn; 06-02-2012 at 07:32 PM.

it's not something I can sub out too easily. Not many people are prepared to run around like a nutter for two hours
    Sub out your other one after running it by your currently booked client?

Alternatively you tell the woman that you took another booking on as you hadn't heard from her her in so long, your name may be tarnished for kids discos, but is that where you want to be anyway?

Just put it down to human error, apologize and move on. Perhaps offer to find her alternative entertainment as a good will gesture.

Quote Originally Posted by Cowlinn View Post
    What did you say to her pon the phone right after she said "Book me in" I think that's quite important...
    Hardly - what you going to do, argue the toss about a half remembered conversation from 6 months ago?

The fact is she believes she made a booking based on that call - by not following up properly Charlie did nothing to make her think otherwise, he needs to sort it rather than trying to wheedle out of it.

There's not really much I can add. Completely agree about the need to keep better records. As soon as she had said 'book me in' you should have all her contact details. Another wake up call Charlie...you need to improve!

I don't want to beat you down anymore so I'll move on from that.The way I see it is you have limited options.

1: Try get someone to cover that kids party gig for you.

2: Get someone to cover your booking you took on for that date and you do the kids party. Which I think will be your best option.

3: Mention to her that she didn't email you with all the details like she said she would, therefore you didn't have the details required to send out the paperwork and confirm the booking. Be honest and explain when you didn't receive the details you wrongly presumed the booking wasn't going ahead, and that you didn't have her details to contact her to clarify that point. Apologise profusely and do everything in your power to find her a suitable DJ for her event.

It's a tricky one. We're all human and prone to mistakes (I may even start a thread on that...let's see if others will be as honest as you ). It's how you handle this one that will determine how much of a professional you are.

Good luck, and let us know how you get on.
    Last edited by Shaun; 06-02-2012 at 08:02 PM.

It is quite important, because some people are idiots. I had this with a dry hire 6 months ago, I had a lady on the phone who ended a conversation about equipment/prices with the phrase with "I'll probably go with that then, but I'll let you know" and then she hung up. Three weeks later she turns up on my doorstep (at home!) demanding a set of lights from my very bemused looking wife and got told to leave the premises or the police would be called.

If she ended the call with "Book me in" and then hung up without giving an indication of a dates, location or even checking availability for a specific date, then to be honest she probably deserves all she gets. If she gave the date during the course of the call and then stated "Book me in" then she probably thought she had a provisional booking "pencilled in" and Charlie is being a bit lax on converting his leads...

Maybe a harsh opinion, but there are some funny people out there who expect us to do the impossible (like turn up at venues at a specific time/date when they haven't given us said time/date/location).

Julian
    http://www.bristoldiscohire.co.uk - Quality Disco and Equipment hire for Bristol & Bath
    Weddings, Birthday Parties, Kids Parties, School Disco's and more
    https://julianburr.co.uk - Wedding, Family, Portrait and Product Photography

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Jules View Post
    If she ended the call with "Book me in" and then hung up without giving an indication of a dates, location or even checking availability for a specific date, then to be honest she probably deserves all she gets. If she gave the date during the course of the call and then stated "Book me in" then she probably thought she had a provisional booking "pencilled in" and Charlie is being a bit lax on converting his leads...

Maybe a harsh opinion, but there are some funny people out there who expect us to do the impossible (like turn up at venues at a specific time/date when they haven't given us said time/date/location).

Julian
    Harsh? I believe a little, yes. The onus is on Charlie as the service provider to ensure he has all the details. I personally do believe too that the lady has a part to play in this as she didn't forward the details as she said she would. However...When a client or potential client says 'book me in' then the cogs should be in motion to make sure you have all the details to facilitate the booking.

We've all had clients that we've had to chase up or that has made the booking process difficult for whatever reason. How many of us chase up booking forms and deposits for instance, despite previously explaining the booking process. Some clients are harder work than others but it's part and parcel of business. It's how you handle yourself in these situations that matter.

Some clients just don't think. It;s quite possible she really did think that she was all booked up, and maybe thought "I'll call him a few weeks before to give him the details". Not everyone knows or really thinks about what goes into booking and confirming the booking. As the service provider it is Charlie's job to ensure all is explained. SO to say "she deserved all she got" is harsh in my opinion. Ultimately I think Charlie has to take the burden of blame in this situation. And I believe young Charles should do whatever it takes to make this situation right (or as right as can be). The fact that he's posted about it so publicly leads me to believe that's exactly what he wants to do. The client may not be happy that there is no booking with Charlie, but hopefully she'll walk away from the situation knowing that Charlie did everything in his power to make sure the show goes on for her.

Like I said earlier - good luck to Charlie. I'm sure he'll step up to the plate and do the very best for her.

Charlie - I think Shaun's option 3 is the best in my opinion.

Call her, be honest and see what comes out of the call.

She may go get another supplier, or still want you as she believes it is all booked, rightly or wrongly as it doesn't matter.

Once you have heard what she will do then you can organise cover if required for either gig.

As said earlier, if someone says 'Book It Dano' then that is the sale made so take the details and get their deposit.

Onwards and upwards.....
    High quality bespoke wedding entertainment
    www.thepinkelephantcompany.co.uk
    part of 'The Pink Elephant Entertainment Company Ltd'

Let's look at this from what, from the way I see things, the law might interpret (and I'm sure Angela will pull me up if I'm way off the mark!!):

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Jules View Post
    ... I had this with a dry hire 6 months ago,... "I'll probably go with that then, but I'll let you know" ...

Julian
    is not the same as

... 'Book me in then. I will email you my ideas/details later on'

When forming a contract, in the eyes of the law, it's all about "intent", i.e. the intention of both parties to enter in to a legal-binding agreement. In this case, Charlie has described what he can offer and given a price as he has stated:

I ran through the costings, which she thought was 'very expensive'.
    The lady has accepted the price, with the "definite" comment about booking it in and she'll forward her details in an email. There is no "probably", "perhaps" or "maybe" in this statement. Therefore, I feel this shows her "intention" to enter in to a contract with Charlie, and I feel Charlie has shown "intent" as he has agreed to it. With Jules, the lady said "probably" and "I'll let you know" which, to me, doesn't suggest "intent" and, therefore, no agreement has been entered in to. Hope this makes sense.

Right, legal "wig" off!!!

That's the thing.

I don't have any details.

Venue, times, her address. I couldn't even tell you her name. She just called me. TBH, there wasn't much I could do until she had emailed me.
    But, Charlie, you have said you'd gone over the prices with her. How could you possibly give her a definite quote, that she thought was "very expensive", and then have her tell you to "book me in then" if you don't have this information in the first place? For me to book anything in, be it a definite booking or a "pencil-in", I need at least the date as this is what forms the booking reference - ie, a wedding booking for 1st Septemer 2012 would be assigned "01-09-12/1W" (I like to keep things simple! ). I do have the ability to issue an "estimate" as opposed to a "quote" without a date but that's a different situation altogether. Anyway, as has already been said, and I think you already realise, you need to tighten up your booking procedures.

So what now? Well, it's a case of damage limitation (we're talking about reputation here!). The way I see it, you have a number of options which Shaun has pretty much covered already in his post. My choice would be to do the kids party myself and find another DJ to do your current booking. However, whichever choice you make, the most important thing you can do is be honest with your clients. Lots of people try and blag their way through things but I strongly believe that people know when they're being lied to and that people always appreciate honesty (might take them a while to calm down first, though!! ).

So, Charlie, just let us know what you decide.
    Dazzy D
    Lightning Disco & Entertainment

Born to make you party!