Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Don't you hate it when......

... A customer says they like 'a bit of drum & bass' among their favourite genres, but what they actually mean is BABY D - LET ME BE YOUR FANTASY

Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
    Haven't you realised yet? We're invisible.

Who said that?

When you speak to a client just before you start to discuss music.... Q) Would you like me to play any cheese? A), Definitely no, even if requested say you don't have any..... Okay, that's fine by me.

So, a few hours into the gig, the client comes up to me and asks for Macarana then Saturday Night. Apparently they are not cheese!

I would be interested to know what (as DJs) we class as cheese?

Quote Originally Posted by fullcontact68 View Post
    When you speak to a client just before you start to discuss music.... Q) Would you like me to play any cheese? A), Definitely no, even if requested say you don't have any..... Okay, that's fine by me.

So, a few hours into the gig, the client comes up to me and asks for Macarana then Saturday Night. Apparently they are not cheese!

I would be interested to know what (as DJs) we class as cheese?
    I'll be honest - I don't even ask that question any more.
    Whilst I don't routinely play the action songs (Macarena, YMCA and the like unless asked), everything else is fair game.

To me, cheese includes the "classics" which actually fill our dance floors week in, week out...the likes of Livin' on a Prayer, Summer of 69, September, C'est La Vie, S-Club 7. Basically the stuff that's been tried and tested to fill my floor but which some think of as being overplayed.

I've said it before....everybody has their own ideas as to what 'cheese' is.
    I used to ask the same question when I had my pre-gig meetings with the customer and I was surprised at some of the replies.
    I can honestly say that the majority would always reply with "Please don't play the Birdie Song or Agadoo" (I think I've only played those 2 tracks less than a handful of times in 30 years).

As said already, the customer would come back with something like that, and then the likes of Macarena, Mambo No 5, Saturday Night etc would appear on their song request list.

I found that those who were into their 'proper' rock etc would see the likes of Busted as cheese.
    Those that liked Hip Hop etc would see Will Smith etc as cheese and so on....

I had one guy approach me many moons ago at a wedding and ask if I had any Hip Hop. "Yes", I replied...."What are you after?".... He wanted me to play some Wu Tang Clan. I think the actual request was for Gravel Pit which I may well have played if I'd had an uncensored version, but I didn't so I was honest and told him that I couldn't play it due to the explicit lyrics and the number of kids in attendance. He was fine, and then he starting listing a whole load of bands and songs that he didn't think I had, or knew anything about. I knew who he was on about, and again....none of them were appropriate for the event. I ended up joking and saying "I'll chuck on House of Pain for you if you like".... He turned his nose up and walked off.

Later on I played 'Jump Around' and it packed the dance floor. All the kids were bouncing up and down too and enjoying themselves, yet Mr Hip Hop was sat at his table on his phone with his headphones on, no doubt listening to some 'proper' Hip Hop!

Spot on, Gary. Recently , a lady asked for some NS. Effectively, " anything except The Snake"!
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
    Spot on, Gary. Recently , a lady asked for some NS. Effectively, " anything except The Snake"!
    I think she must have turned up at my wedding on Saturday!

Resident Antagonist Benny Smyth's Avatar

...DJs who take photos of their freshly delivered business cards and post them on Social Media with a caption along the lines of "New business cards have arrived. #Exciting #OnwardsAndUpwards #Professional"

"Sorry Benny - we were going to book you because we liked everything that we saw on your website and we enjoyed chatting to you, but this guy has shared a picture of his business cards and, quite frankly, it swayed us to choose him."

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Smyth View Post
    ...DJs who take photos of their freshly delivered business cards and post them on Social Media with a caption along the lines of "New business cards have arrived. #Exciting #OnwardsAndUpwards #Professional"

"Sorry Benny - we were going to book you because we liked everything that we saw on your website and we enjoyed chatting to you, but this guy has shared a picture of his business cards and, quite frankly, it swayed us to choose him."
    Everything matters, Benny. Just imagine if they had booked you, and then you'd been seen handing out some cheap vistaprint cards! The shame, the ignominy.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

... There's only 1 exit & loiterers are blocking your way out. And ignoring your requests to move. So then you hit the offenders over the head with a speaker stand bag & drag their limp bodies away... Oh wait scratch the last bit. That was only in my imagination...