Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Don't you hate it when......

Hybrid View

Default Don't you hate it when......

Here's a new thread to add to.....(Disco related only)

Don't you hate it when........

You're playing to a busy dancefloor and they're loving the music. You put the next tune on and a couple of people suddenly stop dancing, turn around and look at you as if to say "What is this?" because you've upset their flow and they don't recognise it and then all of a sudden they realise what it is and start dancing again.

This happened to me 3 times last night with the same 2 young ladies. They were on the dancefloor literally all night and loving it but on 3 occasions there were tracks that they didn't recognise at first. The funny thing was that on one of them (Red Light - 'Get Out My Head'), one of the girls was dancing right in front of me and had requested it earlier. It didn't go with what I was playing at the time she requested it so I waited until I went into tracks with the same style. She has asked me a couple of times for it and when I eventually played it, she came over and asked "What's this, can you play my track please?" when I was actually playing it.

I said "Listen" and she stood there and said "Oh yeah, sorry!".

Not really annoying as such as it makes me laugh.

So.....

Don't you hate it when......

Quote Originally Posted by Shakermaker Promotions View Post
    People post threads, asking " Don't you hate it when? "

Inconsiderate brain dead pond life sit/stand exactly where you're taking bits of kit out for the umpteenth time in a few minutes. And are surprised/dismayed when you ask them to move, or clatter them with a speaker.

Venues set up an obstacle course in your honour, so you can show how easily you can get a two foot wide trolley through a sixteen inch gap.

Having been in a venue for two hours with all the kit, you eventually are granted access, and ten minutes later "Aren't you ready yet". Grrrrrrrr.

More as a few brain cells fire into life.

Edit: When a pint of Orange Squash costs more than 50p.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
    When a pint of Orange Squash costs more than 50p.
    You're soooooo Yorkshire with a sprinkling of Scottish thrown in

Has 'tha never heard of filling yer own drinks bottle up, 'that knows, them ones with the sports caps, cost you next to nowt to drink orange squash for the whole neeet 'that knows, 'appen
    Every day's a school day

Floorfillerz Mobile Disco

Simon Pridmore

Bring out your dead!

Having been in a venue for two hours with all the kit, you eventually are granted access, and ten minutes later "Aren't you ready yet". Grrrrrrrr.
    Got a wedding in a lovely venue, suggested setting up early to make life easy for a 7.45pm start. Venue vetoed this, as guests will "see the kit".

What time do they suggest I turn up to ensure a 7.45pm start?

At least it isn't 8pm.

... when the ex club DJ photographer comments you've got a lot of kit.. What, 2 tops, a bin, a booth, 2 poles, 4 movers & a wash light?!

Also when the same tog keeps going on about how he has to be away by 8.30pm so can you just go pester the bride & groom to get the cake cut & 1st dance out of the way? Er no, bud (he kept calling me 'bud'.. Very annoying) I won't do that.

Then when the cake has been cut you hear the bride ask where 'that bloody DJ has disappeared to' ... Hello lady THAT DJ is RIGHT HERE in front of you helping to move the cake table! Grrr. One thing.. I'm not sure how I'd achieved the status of 'that bloody DJ'.. I'd been on show & available throughout the proceedings. Some people! As is always the case I'd been assured by the DM just how lovely the couple were. Yeah, right. Lovely! If looks could kill I'd have been six foot under.

Bring out your dead!

Got a wedding in a lovely venue, suggested setting up early to make life easy for a 7.45pm start. Venue vetoed this, as guests will "see the kit".

What time do they suggest I turn up to ensure a 7.45pm start?

At least it isn't 8pm.
    Some adjustment of the meaning of the word 'lovely' is needed methinks.
    Maybe 'unreasonable' or 'recalcitrant'?

Quote Originally Posted by Nakatomi View Post
    Some adjustment of the meaning of the word 'lovely' is needed methinks.
    Maybe 'unreasonable' or 'recalcitrant'?
    Oooh, no my friend, oooh no. She's totally on the same page as me. Onside with every suggestion I've made.

The venue are using a different Hymnal, sadly. Their access time suggestion for a 7.45pm start?

7.30pm.

People resurrect 6 year old threads, and everything in that thread is still relevant!

Funny really.... In 6 years, things have moved on so quickly technology wise and things have made our lives a bit easier (or supposed to have), yet venues and customers appear to be doing the same old, same old.

I think that out of all the things that have annoyed me over the years doing this job, the one that REALLY gets me (or got to me) and USED to wind me up beyond belief.... was the old 'Cut Throat' move which was more often than not made by those self absorbed, self important, disrespectful idiots (there didn't appear to be an age limit whilst using the move).

Looking back to my original post from 6 years ago, I commented that I thought it was quite funny when guests requested something and didn't recognise it, or missed it when it eventually got played. Yes, that was funny and I still think that....BUT, the 'Cut Throat' move will always be one of those things that will grate on me. The difference these days is, I laugh it off and don't let it get to me.

I would NEVER EVER think of doing that move. It is not in my nature to do something like that, DJ or not. That's because I am not disrespectful or self obsessed and think that the DJ should only play music that I like, have requested or can dance to (I don't do the dancing part!). What makes somebody think they have the right to tell you to STOP playing what you are currently playing because THEY don't like it?

Even if the Bride, Groom, Birthday Boy or Birthday Girl or the person paying my wages gave me that signal, I would ignore it and claim that somebody else requested it (whether they had or not). It took me a while to engage IGNORAMIS MODE, but I eventually did it and it probably annoyed them even more.

One word - TOUGH!

People resurrect 6 year old threads,
    At that point, I was wondering if I was going to be affronted!!

People resurrect 6 year old threads, and everything in that thread is still relevant!
    Phew! Gary, I agree with everything you posted, and I can assure you that even though I've seen seismic changes in Mobile DJ'ing over the years, some things just don't ever change.

I think that out of all the things that have annoyed me over the years doing this job, the one that REALLY gets me (or got to me) and USED to wind me up beyond belief.... was the old 'Cut Throat' move which was more often than not made by those self absorbed, self important, disrespectful idiots (there didn't appear to be an age limit whilst using the move).
    I've realised it's the actions of a woman who has gone our drinking, who rarely gets to drink, and forgets what her limits are.

They only embarrass themselves.