Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Don't you hate it when......

Quote Originally Posted by Nakatomi View Post
    Some adjustment of the meaning of the word 'lovely' is needed methinks.
    Maybe 'unreasonable' or 'recalcitrant'?
    Oooh, no my friend, oooh no. She's totally on the same page as me. Onside with every suggestion I've made.

The venue are using a different Hymnal, sadly. Their access time suggestion for a 7.45pm start?

7.30pm.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

Don't you hate it when......

People resurrect 6 year old threads, and everything in that thread is still relevant!

Funny really.... In 6 years, things have moved on so quickly technology wise and things have made our lives a bit easier (or supposed to have), yet venues and customers appear to be doing the same old, same old.

I think that out of all the things that have annoyed me over the years doing this job, the one that REALLY gets me (or got to me) and USED to wind me up beyond belief.... was the old 'Cut Throat' move which was more often than not made by those self absorbed, self important, disrespectful idiots (there didn't appear to be an age limit whilst using the move).

Looking back to my original post from 6 years ago, I commented that I thought it was quite funny when guests requested something and didn't recognise it, or missed it when it eventually got played. Yes, that was funny and I still think that....BUT, the 'Cut Throat' move will always be one of those things that will grate on me. The difference these days is, I laugh it off and don't let it get to me.

I would NEVER EVER think of doing that move. It is not in my nature to do something like that, DJ or not. That's because I am not disrespectful or self obsessed and think that the DJ should only play music that I like, have requested or can dance to (I don't do the dancing part!). What makes somebody think they have the right to tell you to STOP playing what you are currently playing because THEY don't like it?

Even if the Bride, Groom, Birthday Boy or Birthday Girl or the person paying my wages gave me that signal, I would ignore it and claim that somebody else requested it (whether they had or not). It took me a while to engage IGNORAMIS MODE, but I eventually did it and it probably annoyed them even more.

One word - TOUGH!

Quote Originally Posted by Shakermaker Promotions View Post

People resurrect 6 year old threads,
    At that point, I was wondering if I was going to be affronted!!

People resurrect 6 year old threads, and everything in that thread is still relevant!
    Phew! Gary, I agree with everything you posted, and I can assure you that even though I've seen seismic changes in Mobile DJ'ing over the years, some things just don't ever change.

I think that out of all the things that have annoyed me over the years doing this job, the one that REALLY gets me (or got to me) and USED to wind me up beyond belief.... was the old 'Cut Throat' move which was more often than not made by those self absorbed, self important, disrespectful idiots (there didn't appear to be an age limit whilst using the move).
    I've realised it's the actions of a woman who has gone our drinking, who rarely gets to drink, and forgets what her limits are.

They only embarrass themselves.

There's truth in that! Yes, most of the 'cut throat' brigade have been female, in my experience......Although saying that, there have been 2 incidents with males doing it over the years that I will never forget. One stands out much, much more than the other and I think it is worth mentioning (although I did mention it back in a Good Gig/Bad Review at the time).

It must have been at least 12 years ago now, and it was at a Christmas party night at my then hotel residency. Up until Mr 'I'm top dog of the cut throat crew' decided to make his thoughts on the music I was playing (that nearly everybody was dancing to), very clear and very rudely....it had been a good night with lots of dancing to almost everything I had been playing.

One thing I do not remember, is the exact song that had obviously annoyed him so much. I DO remember that the dance floor was packed though. Everybody appeared to be happy apart from this one particular bloke and he caught my eye (I wish he hadn't). He stood out like a sore thumb and I'm not sure why he was even on the dance floor because I hadn't noticed him previously during the night. I think it was in the last hour or so and everybody was still going strong. It was one of those nights where guests were walking off the dance floor at times and giving me the thumbs up, but they needed a rest because they'd been dancing all night.

Anyway, the easiest way to describe the scene would be to say that everybody that was enjoying themselves were moving colour, and this guy was rigid and in old skool black & white, just staring at me from across the dance floor, probably only 20 feet away. When I first noticed him, I smiled.....he just stared. When I looked back, he started shaking his head. I smiled back. He stared again, and then did the cut throat thing and smiled back.
    I wasn't too impressed by that, but just smiled back. When he caught my eye again, he did the cut throat thing again. I shook my head and looked away. I think I was looking through some CD's at the time to avoid eye contact and when I turned around, he was stood by the side of me just grinning and staring.

"Can I help?" I asked..... "Cut it!" he said.... I turned and pointed to the dance floor, telling him that I wasn't cutting it because the floor was full. "It's " he replied. "Ok, what would YOU like to listen to?" I asked.... He stood there and just shook his head. "You're the expert" he said... I laughed and tried to add some humour to the conversation....."I'm no expert, but I'm definitely not a mind reader" I replied, smiling. He wasn't impressed and said "Just turn this off and play something decent"..... "You're not getting it, are you?" I replied...."Unless you tell me what YOU want me to play, how am I supposed to know?".... He grinned at me, shook his head and then replied with "You're a DJ my friend" and just as I was about to open my mouth, he shook his head again and sauntered back off with his bottle of Becks in his hand. He stood back in the same spot on the edge of the dance floor, staring, grinning, shaking his head and doing the cut throat thing.

I couldn't help it, he had gotten to me and I turned my back on the dance floor and shouted out , knowing nobody would hear me over the music. I was riled big time. When I looked around again, he was still there with that look on his face. We had eye contact again and I urged him to come over. When he did finally saunter back over to me a few minutes later, I asked him "What's the problem? If you don't like the music, give me some idea of what you like and I'll see if it works with what I am doing"....He stood there grinning and eventually said...."You should know what I like, you're a DJ my friend".... By then, I was really starting to lose the plot. I'd sensed that he was on the wind up, but I didn't like it. What gave him the right? For around 20 minutes I had lost all concentration on the crowd in front of me, all those that were enjoying themselves because I'd been concentrating on him. To be honest, I don't think anybody else noticed.

So, after a few minutes more of him just hanging around being a pain in the backside, I eventually said to him...."Do me a favour, go and TRY and enjoy yourself. It is a Christmas party. If you can't tell me what you want, come back when you have thought of something"....Out of the blue, he suddenly said "Play some Wu Tang Clan!".....I shook my head and then did my best to ignore him, leaving him just hanging around until he started looking through my CD's. I had to tell him to go away in the end as I was getting increasingly wound up with him. When he went back to his spot again at the side of the dance floor, he was stood with another 2 guys. He was speaking to them and pointing at me. They started looking over and eventually one of them came over. He was full of himself and had a bottle of beer in each hand and said "Chuck some Hip Hop on Bruv".... I laughed and said "Is that for him over there? I'll see what I can do".... "Fair play" said the bloke. I had no intention of playing any Hip Hop, especially as we were due to finish soon.

When the end of the night did arrive, almost everybody was dancing to the usual suspects.........apart from you know who!
    As the last song faded out, one of the guests on the dance floor started clapping and everybody joined in. I thanked them and said good night.....and then, Mr Cut Throat shouted out how the DJ was....and then disappeared.

To cover myself that night, I decided to tell the C&B Manager what had gone on just in case there was some comeback. In fact, I felt so strongly about what had happened, I emailed the General Manager when I got home. When I got up early the following morning, I saw his reply asking me to pop in for a chat. I thought the worst straight away but need not have worried because it was just a chat as he wanted to know what had gotten me so wound up. As we sat there in reception having a casual chat about what had happened, Mr Cut Throat suddenly appeared at the desk. He was checking out. I nudged the GM and told him that the guy in question was stood at the reception desk. He said "Leave it, he looks like he's had a big night" and laughed.

Around 5 minutes later, I left and went out to my van. Sat in a rather flash car next to my van was Mr Cut Throat with his head in his hands. I thought twice about it, but decided to go for it and knocked on the car window. He wound it down and said "Hello, can I help you?"..... "Do you remember me?" I asked.... "Should I?" he replied.... "Well, you called me a DJ last night" I replied. "Really? I don't remember?" he replied. "Are you sure?"..... "Oh, I'm sure mate" I said..."I wasn't the one drinking".... He couldn't apologise enough! "I'm ever so....." he said. "Don't bother!" I replied and just before I got into my van, I called him something not very nice!

(Long time since I wrote an essay - PHEW!).

Its hard if not sometimes impossible to please everyone.

One of my last gigs was an Army gig.
    I played background music while they ate.
    During that time an elderly gentlemen got up and asked me to turn it down as it was causing havoc with his hearing aid.
    He said I could turn it up after the meal as he was going then, which was very kind of him.
    So I turned it down.
    About 10 seconds later someone shouted "turn it up, we can hear it"
    So I turned it up just a little.

The meal ended so I started playing some northern soul.
    A woman came up and said "you can get that rubbish off, I want modern music"
    So I mixed it u pa little with modern stuff.
    Then someone came up asking for Lily Allen track I didn't have. I apologised for not having it.
    Next thing I know she is screaming from the middle of the dance floor. "Play Lily Allen"
    She started shouting that I was crap.
    I just ignored her and carried on.

Gigs can range from terrible, to the next time where its a great night with everyone up dancing and singing along.

Bring out your dead!!

Had one on Thursday, at a wedding. Venues that book in a function, but don't give exclusive use of the venue. Wedding guests in their finery, rubbing shoulders with folk who look as if they've just come off the building site. To be fair, the Cricketers did buy drinks and go outside, as the weather was lovely, but it really grinds my gears.

Don't you hate it when.... People don't dance to Hadaway
    Andy P
    Disco Couture

www.discocouture.co.uk
    www.facebook.com/discocouture

Quote Originally Posted by Andy P View Post
    Don't you hate it when.... People don't dance to Hadaway
    There should be a law against that!

The bride assures you there's food for you, the toggers get fed, the bar staff get fed...........................